Astell&Kern AK380
Aug 28, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #6,286 of 9,040
Its really funny for u to make this sort of baseless comment even without hearing this dap yourself.
Totally baseless and unlogical comment.

How one interpret my statement purely comes down to their own personal bias. If one bias is with AK they most likely see my statement as a negative one towards Sony and visa versa .

Having said that there want much of a sonic difference between zx1 and zx2, so based on that I have my doubt on the upcoming Sony products. And note I have no high end AK daps, I find their entire business unethical.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #6,287 of 9,040
  As I understand it, his brand new 380 wouldn't play. No sound output. I think that's his beef. Unless I misunderstood the video ofc.

From what I see he doesn't seem to try it on other devices. =/

I know I won't jump ship so easily lol.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #6,288 of 9,040
Mmm.....lame video. He should have tried headphones and in ears before passing judgment on the 380. As it is, he based his opinion of the 380 based on a crappy red thingie, whatever that is......

Aug 29, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #6,289 of 9,040
I tested my ak380 black with and without amp. The only thing i noticed is that the bass becoming a little more tighter, and somewhat the overall sound is getting a little brighter. I really don't get it why people always said to me with amp the sound is better. Better? or brighter? If they like the sound a little more brighter, then of course with amp is their choice. But what i really wanna say is that without amp, ak380 black is already suit my taste best. The most important part here, is the quality recording it self. Some recording it does sound warmer, and some of them is brighter, no matter what type of files they are (DSD, Flac24, WAV, Flac16). If the recording file i play is a little brighter (more open) then i do like the sound from AK380 alone, and if warmer, with amp should be nicer. My theory is that simple. And personally, i do prefer using AK380 alone without amp. (my amp its been in the drawer since the 1st day, i only tested couple times and i don't like the bulky looking)

Is AK380cu better? i will find out soon to prove how good they are. But one thing for sure, IMHO, on certain songs, i do believe it sounded better if we use regular/black ak380 (on certain IEM/CIEM/Headfon). The gear matching is also the most important part in the chain.
yes exactly the same here. The sound was less slow and muddy and sounded more open as a result.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #6,291 of 9,040
Anyone have thoughts on the new FW (1.30)?

I just finished the download and playing it now. I barely notice any diff in sound(from ak380 hp-out). But when i play from ak380+mojo..i think (if any) the sound is becoming a little brighter i guess. But not quite sure my self. Feels like the same also..(or maybe is just the same)

However thou...i do wish alot they improve the stability when play DSD on this latest update.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #6,292 of 9,040
  Anyone have thoughts on the new FW (1.30)?

Not yet, only just saw

AK380 v1.30

[Warning] 
Before firmware upgrade: 
1. Make sure of the battery level at least over 50%.
2. Make sure of the memory size at least over 200MB. 
3. User setting is initialized after upgrade.
4. Before upgrade, make a backup of some important files just in case.

[How to upgrade]
1. Connect to Wi-Fi
2. Find 'new' firmware on Setting - Update - System update

[Improvements]
1. AK Recorder supported
2. Other Operational Stability improved

(http://www.iriver.com/company/notice_view.asp?sno=132&irTop=0)

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #6,293 of 9,040
Not yet, only just saw

[COLOR=000000]AK380 v1.30[/COLOR]

[Warning] 

Before firmware upgrade: 

1. Make sure of the battery level at least over 50%.

2. Make sure of the memory size at least over 200MB. 

3. User setting is initialized after upgrade.

4. Before upgrade, make a backup of some important files just in case.

[How to upgrade]

1. Connect to Wi-Fi

2. Find 'new' firmware on Setting - Update - System update

[Improvements]
1. AK Recorder supported
2. Other Operational Stability improved

(http://www.iriver.com/company/notice_view.asp?sno=132&irTop=0)

Thanks. Wonder if they fixed the pro eq bug where it was stuck on. I reported to A&K via their Facebook page and they did acknowledge they would feed back to the dev team

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #6,294 of 9,040
Thanks. Wonder if they fixed the pro eq bug where it was stuck on. I reported to A&K via their Facebook page and they did acknowledge they would feed back to the dev team

Bear in mind that this Pro EQ (I'm going to call it a "feature" rather than a "bug") is something that's existed to at least the AK120 days back in Nov '13 and some claim to be even older to the AK100 days :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663188/the-astell-kern-ak120/4575#post_10020202

And a curious thread back in Nov '14  that was a real pity that no one replied to :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740515/ak120-riddle-me-this

Why I call the Pro EQ thing a feature rather than a bug? As it seems to have been a part of the AK firmware across so many of their old to current models, I wonder if they really would "fix" this.

[Edit: Oh sorry, if you're referring to another issue about Pro EQ, please ignore the above :wink:]

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #6,295 of 9,040

Bear in mind that this Pro EQ (I'm going to call it a "feature" rather than a "bug") is something that's existed to at least the AK120 days back in Nov '13 and some claim to be even older to the AK100 days :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663188/the-astell-kern-ak120/4575#post_10020202

And a curious thread back in Nov '14  that was a real pity that no one replied to :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740515/ak120-riddle-me-this

Why I call the Pro EQ thing a feature rather than a bug? As it seems to have been a part of the AK firmware across so many of their old to current models, I wonder if they really would "fix" this.

[Edit: Oh sorry, if you're referring to another issue about Pro EQ, please ignore the above :wink:]

Well, to be honest I am not completely sure. In all versions of the firmware for the AK380 up until the last one, when you switch Pro EQ on and off, you can hear a momentary click in the sound to the headphones that "something" is changing. But this changed with the last firmware and no momentary changes or audio changes are heard when you switch Pro EQ on or off....another poster determined that Pro EQ was permanently enabled unless you chose a new EQ profile and just made it flat

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #6,296 of 9,040
The only thing I can appreciate from the new firmware is that it solved my gapless music issue... The last firmware had intermittent gaps in between some of the songs that are gapless... It sometimes introduce a short gap when there should not be one.... now, so far so good, things are back to normal.... Whew

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #6,297 of 9,040
The only thing I can appreciate from the new firmware is that it solved my gapless music issue... The last firmware had intermittent gaps in between some of the songs that are gapless... It sometimes introduce a short gap when there should not be one.... now, so far so good, things are back to normal.... Whew

What do you mean by "solved my gapless music issue"? With all of the versions that I have tried on my 240ss and 380cu, I have never experienced true gapless between songs even though I always turn them on. I finally give up on that feature. My old iPod can do true gapless better. I also understand that there is always a gap when switching between redbook and DSD etc, but AK never have gapless.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #6,298 of 9,040
What do you mean by "solved my gapless music issue"? With all of the versions that I have tried on my 240ss and 380cu, I have never experienced true gapless between songs even though I always turn them on. I finally give up on that feature. My old iPod can do true gapless better. I also understand that there is always a gap when switching between redbook and DSD etc, but AK never have gapless.

Oh...I guess, it is either the gap is very, very slight that I did not hear it, or it actually works... I ripped Madonna's confession album and listen to it via old firmware.. There was some intermittent gaps in between some songs.. .eg. On song 3, 4, 9.... The thing is, sometimes, it is on song 3-4, sometimes 4-5.. Not at the same song all the time. Now I hear the album in almost its entirety (not enough time to listen to all the songs...) it is ok...The songs are in FLAC format and ripped from EAC. DSD songs is entirely another matter altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back