Astell&Kern AK380
Jul 27, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #6,063 of 9,040
  Mmm....can't remember 1.23 anymore. But 1.25 is still highly resolving. Tested my Zeus XIV balanced and played some high res Chesky Records tracks. Still satisfying. If my initial impression of more bass (warmer) is correct, I can concede that there is a slight loss in detail retrieval but the "better" bass makes the cu a more musical source for the somewhat sterile KSE 1500. Depends on what you want, SQ wise.

I also don't remember much about 1.23, but I like the SQ from the 1.25 better than 1.24. Not only is the bass impact improved, I find the highs to be revealed to a greater extent.  I've only listened using EE's Apollo.

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #6,065 of 9,040
Is there a central resource to download previous firmwares? Im currently on 1.23 thanks to a fellow audiophile, but I would like to none the less archive each firmkware file in the event that a need to select a particular firmware arises. 

And based on what Im reading thus far, its either 1.23 or 1.24 for me lol. Staying far away from 1.25 

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #6,066 of 9,040

It's a tough one. Presumably both are to "blame" indeed for integrating the functionality in their own way.
I just can't seem to get the CDM working on anything though.

ot: mmm...for what its worth, I do have problems making the CDM work with Microsoft's Surface Book but not Surface Pro 3 via USB. I have always thought that OTG for all Android-based devices is universally compatible. In any case, USB audio via OTG functionality is just a small part of the CDM experiece.  I guess we can't have it all......

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #6,067 of 9,040
i seem to be having problems with gapless playback after updating my firmware to ver.1.25. there are some glitches on some songs,.. some transitioned smoothly without breaks and some with slight breaks.. and it is inconsistent throught.. Anyone else with similar issues.. if no one else has encountered the glitch.. I guess I have to get the AK checked.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #6,068 of 9,040
  Is there a central resource to download previous firmwares? Im currently on 1.23 thanks to a fellow audiophile, but I would like to none the less archive each firmkware file in the event that a need to select a particular firmware arises. 

And based on what Im reading thus far, its either 1.23 or 1.24 for me lol. Staying far away from 1.25 

There isn't one as AK officially and intentionally does not maintain a public one, and I highly suggest not to maintain an open resource ourselves - in case AK finds out, I'm not sure if we will be able to get firmwares from them anymore.

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #6,069 of 9,040
Mine just doesn't find the update :/

mmm......I had to try a dozen times to download the new firmware and I kept getting error messages, even though my 380 cu was at 90% battery level and the wifi signal was 100%. . So, I erased (forget) the Wifi router and digit in the password. NO go. Finally, I connected it to another router and it worked.

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #6,070 of 9,040
Anyone else experiencing problems with USB playback via Chord Hugo with AK3**? I am getting a sound like intermittent static with the high bit-rate input on the Hugo. This is not replicated with iPhone 6s or Pioneer XDP. I thought it might be something to do with SD card reading / scanning, but have eliminated that as a cause as well. Have also tried with different USB cables, also not the cause. Any ideas?

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #6,072 of 9,040

Yes. But it is on 1.24. Should I try doing it manually?

The demo unit I had wouldn't go beyond 1.18 via OTA. I asked the local distributor and he said that's one of the caps that was put on the demo units.

However it seemed to have been possible to upgrade the demo if one had the firmware file installed on the root disk of the player instead.

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #6,073 of 9,040

The demo unit I had wouldn't go beyond 1.18 via OTA. I asked the local distributor and he said that's one of the caps that was put on the demo units.

However it seemed to have been possible to upgrade the demo if one had the firmware file installed on the root disk of the player instead.

So now I just have to magically find the 1.25 file :)
thanks!

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #6,074 of 9,040
My review is up for the Effect Audio Ares II+  Plus cable - excellent pairing with the AK380Cu especially with the new 1.25 firmware

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815699/effect-audio-ares-ii-plus-edition-iem-cable-reviews-impressions

I enjoyed writing the review it was a pleasure

Jul 29, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #6,075 of 9,040
  My review is up for the Effect Audio Ares II+  Plus cable - excellent pairing with the AK380Cu especially with the new 1.25 firmware

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815699/effect-audio-ares-ii-plus-edition-iem-cable-reviews-impressions

I enjoyed writing the review it was a pleasure

your review it does not mean that others will like it, we have different ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back