Astell&Kern AK380
Jul 27, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #6,046 of 9,040
  mmm......I will concede that it may also be Alo Audio's fault (so they both share fault) but the Onkyo DP X1, which runs on Android something, works with the CDM via USB audio using a Moon Audio  OTG cable, out of the box. The AK 70 (and presumably the AK 380/380 cu and other AK players with upcoming USB audio support) works with the WA8 but not the CDM. The Onkyo DP X1 works with the CDM and presumably will work with the WA8 via USB audio (I'm still waiting for my USB type B to Micro USB cable to come in so I can test compatibility). If so, what's the difference? If Onkyo can make their USB audio work, why not AK? That's where I'm coming from.

I think AK doesn't have ALSA (AdvancedLinuxSoundArchitecture) implemented in their firmware, otherwise it would work with any USB DAC.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #6,048 of 9,040
  Hope my ears are playing tricks on me this time, but coming from 1.23 to 1.25, I wonder if it has an overall thinner sound.

On the contrary I find 1.25 obviously thicker, less crisp, and heavier bass. In fact the whole SQ sounds "heavier", if that makes sense.

That's just very initial impression though, need to listen more later to make a better verdict.

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #6,049 of 9,040
  I think AK doesn't have ALSA (AdvancedLinuxSoundArchitecture) implemented in their firmware, otherwise it would work with any USB DAC.

Mmm.....granted that that is the case, why not go ALSA and make AK's USB audio truly universal (plug n play)? There are so few Amp/Dacs that supports USB Audio, so why the exception, considering that the CDM is a well-known amp/dac? 

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #6,050 of 9,040
I'm going to wait on more impression on the SQ with the 1.25 version. I been with the 1.23 version only cause the SQ is perfect for me. Anyone else think it sounds better then the 1.23 version?

Mike

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #6,051 of 9,040

Why do you think it isn't using ALSA (which does not guarantee working with any USB DAC by the way)?

BTW - it may not use ALSA as it isn't Linux based. There are android ports for ALSA, but who knows if it is being used, and whether or not that would provide any benefit?

You are confused with ASIO I think which is the USB standard used for communicating between a USB DAC and a USB source. ASIO is built into Android and so it is probably used. ASIO is a standard and supported by Hugo, Mojo, 2Qute and many more - maybe not CDM... 

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #6,052 of 9,040
  That´s not right, my AK380cu still stuck in balance-mode and i upgraded to 1.25, i cant´t switch it off. I have to send it to my distributor.

i had the same problem and i sent it RMA to iriver germany. I requested for Replacement with another brand new unit.
they said that they will contact their HQ and come back to me. i'm waiting.
My AK380 really miss me

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #6,053 of 9,040

Why do you think it isn't using ALSA (which does not guarantee working with any USB DAC by the way)?

BTW - it may not use ALSA as it isn't Linux based. There are android ports for ALSA, but who knows if it is being used, and whether or not that would provide any benefit?

You are confused with ASIO I think which is the USB standard used for communicating between a USB DAC and a USB source. ASIO is built into Android and so it is probably used. ASIO is a standard and supported by Hugo, Mojo, 2Qute and many more - maybe not CDM... 

ALO recommends using ALSA in order to get CDM working with Android machines. (https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/continental-dual-mono/)

AK software is Android (Linux based operating system)

afaik it is possible to use ALSA on Android devices, I never had a single DAC that didn't work with ALSA...

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #6,054 of 9,040
  On the contrary I find 1.25 obviously thicker, less crisp, and heavier bass. In fact the whole SQ sounds "heavier", if that makes sense.

That's just very initial impression though, need to listen more later to make a better verdict.

Mmm....I concur somewhat. The bass sounds thicker/more weighted and has more impact. One of my complaints is the lack of bass with the KSE 1500. With FW 1.25 AK380cu , there seems to be more bass (no EQ on either ak380cu or kse 1500, input pad -10 db). Loving it. Need to listen to this more to confirm.

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #6,055 of 9,040

In my early analysis I am convinced that the USB->Mojo sounds better than the optical->Mojo. The cable can be more flexible and it supports more bit rates too. I have no idea why anybody would use the optical now.

thanks.  This is good news...

one reason to still use optical could be... very tight & short optical cable :)

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #6,056 of 9,040
  Mmm....I concur somewhat. The bass sounds thicker/more weighted and has more impact. One of my complaints is the lack of bass with the KSE 1500. With FW 1.25 AK380cu , there seems to be more bass (no EQ on either ak380cu or kse 1500, input pad -10 db). Loving it. Need to listen to this more to confirm.

Though after more listening, 1.25's SQ is muddy and less dynamic comparing to 1.23. Back to latter version. I wonder if there will ever be another version that can beat it or at least meet it eye to eye.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #6,057 of 9,040
Mmm....can't remember 1.23 anymore. But 1.25 is still highly resolving. Tested my Zeus XIV balanced and played some high res Chesky Records tracks. Still satisfying. If my initial impression of more bass (warmer) is correct, I can concede that there is a slight loss in detail retrieval but the "better" bass makes the cu a more musical source for the somewhat sterile KSE 1500. Depends on what you want, SQ wise.

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #6,060 of 9,040
Though after more listening, 1.25's SQ is muddy and less dynamic comparing to 1.23. Back to latter version. I wonder if there will ever be another version that can beat it or at least meet it eye to eye.
[/quote Thanks for that sounds like I'm still staying with 1.23. Better bass and wider soundstage with my Oppo PM-1 & silver Dragon V3 cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back