Astell&Kern AK380
Apr 8, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #4,502 of 9,040

Owing to my relatively brief venture into Head Fi and shallow experience with high-end gear, forgive me if I feel lost and confused when different members (all more experienced than me) tell me entirely contradicting things ("A DAC/dap doesn't need to burn in" vs "rack-up the 100 hour"). Given my commitment to RWAK380 (the mod is irreversible?), my only options are to 1) keep working towards the 100 hours burn in period, 2) use the 380 amp forever and listen to it instead of the DAP, 3) send the 380 amp to Vinnie to make it RWAK380 Amp and forever use that output or 4) if no improvements after 100 hours, ask Vinnie whether the procedure can be undone.

Now understandably from my current experience thus far, I am not inclined on options 2) or 3), since for 2) I might as well have modded the amp instead of the DAP and 3) is going to cost me even more money than I have already spent. So I will do 1) and maybe proceed to 4) if worst comes to worst. A few things keep my hope alive:

- speedracer1 and Apina are both very satisfied with their modded units, and I'm sure there are others

- Vinnie himself advised me that he carefully listened to my RWAK380 after he fixed the partial short circuit and concluded that it ''it sounds exactly as it should''

- Vinnie personally advised me to ''let it run in for at least 100 hours before critically evaluating it, as the sound opens up and fills in (including bass) once the caps break-in."

Now the thing that worries me is of course how I was not 'floored' from the start like speed was, so there are already deviations in the experience. I can perhaps attribute this to different hearing preferences / experience. Otherwise, this may also be explained with:

- Unlike before, my iems are now a terrible mismatch for the RWAK380, so I should get rid of them all and get the Argybargle 14driver 

- I'm a terrible noob who doesn't know good sound / changed sound when I hear it and I should just quit this hobby and go back to iPad + ibuds

- My ears are defective (e.g. suffering from hearing loss, too much wax...etc)

- My ears and brain do not perceive the modded sound as an improvement, and so I either live with my choice, or ask Vinnie to reverse the procedure, or sell off this player and get the AK480,000,000 Cu + Au + Ag + Pd + Pt and be reborn 

I did not for one second aim to dissuade anyone from trying the RWAK380 mod, I am only posting genuine impressions and seeking for assistance. Do make your own decision regarding whether or not to go ahead with RWAK380!

Now, back to burning-in, and praying for that light at the end of the tunnel. The night is darkest just before the dawn, the night is darkest just before the dawn ...................

Who's on first?

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #4,503 of 9,040
How is the AK380 stacked with Mojo? Has anyone done any direct comparisons? I'm really frustrated with my Fiio X7 right now and contemplating returning it and buying an AK380cu or perhaps an offering from Cowon.

Never owned a Cowon, but have owned several AK devices. RWAK120B, AK100II, AK120II, and AK240. Loved them all.

How does the AK sound vs stack with a mojo? Either regular ak380 or copper. Although, I won't buy the regular, might as well just lay the extra cash put and get the copper...

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #4,504 of 9,040
How is the AK380 stacked with Mojo? Has anyone done any direct comparisons? I'm really frustrated with my Fiio X7 right now and contemplating returning it and buying an AK380cu or perhaps an offering from Cowon.

Never owned a Cowon, but have owned several AK devices. RWAK120B, AK100II, AK120II, and AK240. Loved them all.

How does the AK sound vs stack with a mojo? Either regular ak380 or copper. Although, I won't buy the regular, might as well just lay the extra cash put and get the copper...

think the purpose of going flagship is for it to stand alone.  the mojo is redundant sq wise and makes a really odd (ugly) stack to the 380cu.  the 380cu coupled with 380ampcu offering balanced output will be a much better option from all angles literately.

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #4,506 of 9,040
Had the pleasure of trying the ak380cu yestersay, as well as the amp module, and I must say the 380cu is significantly better than the standard 380. The 380, I would not care to use, but the 380cu, I would love for a player that good sounding :) that said its not like I could afford either one....

Oh and the 380cu amp is also definitely better than the standard amp. A few of us did try too, and like someone mentioned here previously, turning off the light on the amp really did make a difference, it's very small and subtle but it is there. I was skeptical and didn't think it would make a difference but boy it did!

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #4,507 of 9,040
Had the pleasure of trying the ak380cu yestersay, as well as the amp module, and I must say the 380cu is significantly better than the standard 380. The 380, I would not care to use, but the 380cu, I would love for a player that good sounding
smily_headphones1.gif
that said its not like I could afford either one....

Oh and the 380cu amp is also definitely better than the standard amp. A few of us did try too, and like someone mentioned here previously, turning off the light on the amp really did make a difference, it's very small and subtle but it is there. I was skeptical and didn't think it would make a difference but boy it did!

Okay, that's the first time I've ever read that the 380cu amp is better than the regular 380 amp.  I've been interested in that kind of feedback.  Are there any specs listed anywhere on the two amp modules?

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #4,508 of 9,040

Okay, that's the first time I've ever read that the 380cu amp is better than the regular 380 amp.  I've been interested in that kind of feedback.  Are there any specs listed anywhere on the two amp modules?

i honestly do not believe whatever is said about the cu being that much better than the regular version. I feel that its maybe only 2% better, but you have to deal with the cu and its aging process and worry about cleaning it, and to be honest I do not like the idea to keep cleaning the cu, and when it ages it becomes ugly . Also the ak380 cu and its amp people report its so so so heavey

I prefer to have a regular ak380 than the headache associated with cu

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #4,509 of 9,040

simple my friend just get ak380 and stack it to an amp like headstage arrow which is tiny, engage bassboost on headstage arrow and you are in a bliss that mojo will not be able to offer you.

forget ak380 amp for now and wait maybe Ak will release a new amp, until then use a small amp like headstage 5tx, you will not ask for more bass at all, and fine tune using ak380 eq

the advise above is because I know you are a basshead, but for people like me who love bass but not too much of basshead I even do not use eq on ak380 can you believe that. So the ak380 and its amp for my iems is enough. But to reach basshead level bass from ak380 u need a basshead amp and the best is arrow 5tx, I wish you can hear it man

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #4,510 of 9,040
mmm.....just get the amp for the 380 or 380 cu and be done with it. In my listening sessions, the AK stack is more than adequate to get the best out of any headphones. My favorite pairing, so far: with the Ether C. Very, very good. I don't find it necessary to add or pair my cu with any third-party amp.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #4,511 of 9,040
  mmm.....just get the amp for the 380 or 380 cu and be done with it. In my listening sessions, the AK stack is more than adequate to get the best out of any headphones. My favorite pairing, so far: with the Ether C. Very, very good. I don't find it necessary to add or pair my cu with any third-party amp.

I agree with you wholeheartedly....

The performance of the 380Cu and the Cu amp is just so complete aesthetically and sonically, that it is very much end game for me at least in the next few years with my iems. I hardly use cans with portable gear, leaving it to my desktop gear.  

Just immensely happy with the Cu pairing's performance. For me irrespective of what ever pairing, and I own and have tried my fair share of gear, nothing has come close to the detailed, musical, non-fatiguing, natural and beautiful portrayal of music that the Cu pairing conveys. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #4,512 of 9,040
i honestly do not believe whatever is said about the cu being that much better than the regular version. I feel that its maybe only 2% better, but you have to deal with the cu and its aging process and worry about cleaning it, and to be honest I do not like the idea to keep cleaning the cu, and when it ages it becomes ugly . Also the ak380 cu and its amp people report its so so so heavey

I prefer to have a regular ak380 than the headache associated with cu

Trust me neither did I, I was a huge skeptic, never liking how AK priced their stuff, plus I didn't like be 380 at all, and was all prepared to hate the 380cu as well, but somehow it just sounds really good, especially with the cu amp.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #4,513 of 9,040
Trust me neither did I, I was a huge skeptic, never liking how AK priced their stuff, plus I didn't like be 380 at all, and was all prepared to hate the 380cu as well, but somehow it just sounds really good, especially with the cu amp.

well I don't know what to say, except man i have to hear this cu one day

But i am sure warrior1975 sound wise would like the sound of ak380 stacked to a basshead amp like headstage arrow more as he is a basshead . And the headstage arrow man powers my planar oppo pm1 with such authority on low gain even. 

And stacking ak380 to headstage arrow is such a tiny stack, compared to the stack of ak380 and amp, and with this stack you maintain the beautiful sound sig of ak380 and can add tons of bass without affecting mids. I have never experienced such a nice bass from any amp I tried

I prefer the ak380 + headstage arrow stack to the stack of ak380 and mojo by miles and miles, and i have them all ak380 and amp, mojo, headstage arrow. So I am talking from my own experience and someone who adores good solid bass while keeping mids and highs not being drowned or affected 

Also that the ak380 eq will not work with mojo, I am sure this will put off warrior1975 from considering that stack, I know he needs to dial in bass. The mojo without eq also lacks in bass. Although I adore mojo but in a differnet setup where i use mojo with android and eq using v4a I would have never liked the mojo sound sig by itself, and it needs heavy eq. Also I find the ak380 mids more enjoyable on ak380 than mojo. That is why I recommend stacking ak380 to an amp than to mojo 

Its like comparing an old fiat car to high end super race car, this is why I really wish one day AK will release a great amp like headstage arrow to be stacked on ak380, but since this is not happening then the best solution for a basshead audiophile is get the best tinniest amp out there 

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #4,515 of 9,040
Mmm.....yeah, there is no substitute to auditioning and using it. All I know is the 380 cu and cu amp is simply the best I've heard off a DAP. Am I posting here to convince people? Nahh uhhh...that's not my problem.
Hello, what sort of music were you listening to ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back