Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 16, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #3,991 of 9,041
  mmmm.....was looking for a balanced 2 pin for my Zeus and AK 380 cu. Got this from Egghead today. Really good pairing (Zeus, PEF 23, ak380 cu):

http://shop.iriverinc.com/astell-kern/crystal-cable-next-pef23-custom-iem-2-pin-2-5mm-balanced-cable.html

Interesting!  I was thinking just a couple of days ago that I'd never seen anyone mention using Empire Ears IEMS via balanced cable.  

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #3,992 of 9,041
mmm.....the Crystal Cable Next AK-balanced, to my ears, enhances but it does not alter (in a negative way) the Zeus'  SQ as compared with the BTG Starlight (the stock cable) . Also, I love the flexible nature of the cable (no  memory wire effect). No microphonics.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #3,995 of 9,041

Is it lighting as your set looks yellowish?

That's the Copper combo - copper version for both the player and amp if you're not aware of it.

Had a few minutes of listening of 1.24. Bass seems to be slightly tighter, overall pretty pleasant listening experience. Definitely not the revolutionary difference like from 1.19 to 1.23, but from initial listening I am happy with the update.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #3,998 of 9,041
So a few initial thoughts, and will add more after a few days, as I find AK usually takes that amount of time to stabilize sonically.

Firstly, a little disappointed that the initial sealed unit had a channel mis-wiring, Left was right and Right was left. Luckily Jaben Hong Kong had another sealed unit and was kind enough to exchange and open another fresh unit for me, after I checked it was not my player, to test.

Great service, and a huge thumb's up to them.

OK to the combo 380CU and CU amp. It is worth it and adds very nicely to listening with than just the player. Better control all round. I will listen a few more days before adding more thoughts about the combination. I prefer listening to the combination with the amp set at high gain, finding it sounding richer, fuller with better fluidity and density in it's presentation.

Most of my time was comparing with Stock 380 and amp with my in-ears....and it would probably go...

380Cu/Cu amp > 380Cu > 380Cu/amp > 380/Cu amp > 380 = 380/amp

My 2 cents

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #3,999 of 9,041
i hope AK will make it possible to use eq when connecting ak380 to my mojo

as it really sucks not to have eq when connecting to a dac like mojo

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #4,001 of 9,041
It's gonna sound better when u get headphones with right sound sig/tuning than using eq.

i am very happy with the sound and could not complain at all with ak380 and amp

I already am very happy with my u12 and ak380 and amp

I am just asking why not when connecting it to the mojo the eq does not work, and am not asking if that is the correct way to be

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #4,002 of 9,041
So how is this new firmware update anyone? & Why so quick? I only ask cause I would hope the SQ has stayed the same cause a couple weeks ago firmware is perfect. Plus I never used the EQ on the previous firmware till that previous Update and use Pro EQ.
Mike

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #4,003 of 9,041
So how is this new firmware update anyone? & Why so quick? I only ask cause I would hope the SQ has stayed the same cause a couple weeks ago firmware is perfect. Plus I never used the EQ on the previous firmware till that previous Update and use Pro EQ.
Mike

Listening literally all day, the new FW gives a better sense of immediacy and spatial cues.

Bass is slightly more tactile, mids where they were and highs more present....it's nice and still maintains that non fatiguing quality.

All in all strong recommendation to update.....

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #4,004 of 9,041
So a few initial thoughts, and will add more after a few days, as I find AK usually takes that amount of time to stabilize sonically.

Firstly, a little disappointed that the initial sealed unit had a channel mis-wiring, Left was right and Right was left. Luckily Jaben Hong Kong had another sealed unit and was kind enough to exchange and open another fresh unit for me, after I checked it was not my player, to test.

Great service, and a huge thumb's up to them.

OK to the combo 380CU and CU amp. It is worth it and adds very nicely to listening with than just the player. Better control all round. I will listen a few more days before adding more thoughts about the combination. I prefer listening to the combination with the amp set at high gain, finding it sounding richer, fuller with better fluidity and density in it's presentation.

Most of my time was comparing with Stock 380 and amp with my in-ears....and it would probably go...

380Cu/Cu amp > 380Cu > 380Cu/amp > 380/Cu amp > 380 = 380/amp

My 2 cents

So, if I understand your comparison, the Cu amp is better than the regular 380amp?

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #4,005 of 9,041
Geeze.................. 

I can't believe my 380Cu has just died on me, even plugged in, the battery icon does not show when I press the power button
blink.gif
confused_face.gif

Any idea what to press to revitalize it?

Long press what and what?

Any help will be useful and much appreciated as I am traveling soon again....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back