Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 13, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #3,962 of 9,040
sawrym-There was a beautiful picture of the AK380cu in that hotel...

Beautiful pics Gavin. Must be very peaceful relaxing with that view, AK380, and of course the best part, Tralucent IEMS. Add in a little single malt, Changri-La. Hope you enjoyed it brother, I'm definitely a little jealous right now!! In a few weeks, I won't be any more buddy!! :wink:

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #3,963 of 9,040
Oooops!   I've come onto the Tripadvisor site by mistake.  Sorry   :frowning2: 

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #3,965 of 9,040

I was told it will be heavy by my dealer but confirm Wednesday when I collect my unit.....

I carry a messenger bag most of the times when out so should be fine for me, definitely not something pocketable, I'd imagine 

mmm.....not advisable to pocket it. The cu scratches easily (copper being a soft metal). cu amp's 292 grams ain't bad. It will certainly be much lighter than my current pairing: cu + cdm. My cu amp is due in two weeks time.

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #3,969 of 9,040
so today i wanted to test out dire straits "walk of life" song comparing 2 set ups using my 64 audio Adel U12

1- Ak380 + amp
2- Note 3-- mojo-- using USB Audio Pro

Sound stage;

well definitely the sound stage on ak380 and amp is much wider with better instrument separation, but the mojo has its own magic however its sound stage is narrow compared to ak380 and amp

Bass:

well no eq on both at all, the bass on mojo is more heard and present, but the bass on ak380 is really good as well even without eq.

treble: Both are good and extend well, and for me I am not that picky about treble as long it extends well.

Mids: well to be honest I liked the mids better on the ak380 and amp than the mojo, I felt they are more present than on the mojo

Its a tough choice especially maybe for people who are into classical music and vocal oriented music, as I find the ak380 and amp suits that genre better than the mojo

But on the other hand for people who are into edm and electronic music they might find the mojo to be more suitable

very tough choice, but I am selling my ak380+amp not because I do not like it, but its more about that i have some other priorities.

One think I really wished that the sound stage in mojo was wider as that is my only slight grip with it. But for my taste in music genres I like what the mojo is offering. Had I been into classical music I would keep the ak380 and amp

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #3,970 of 9,040
One think I really wished that the sound stage in mojo was wider as that is my only slight grip with it. But for my taste in music genres I like what the mojo is offering. Had I been into classical music I would keep the ak380 and amp

I can relate to your impressions. Mojo with better separation and stage is actually the Hugo, but you then lose some lushness in the mids.

To me the 380 (w or w/o amp) have a sig that is somewhat in between the Hugo and mojo but with wider tho less deep a soundstage. There are a few times when I wanna pull the trigger on the 380 but the lack of streaming app support, and the really cheap (comparatively) mojo stopped me from doing so... I don't think I am going to get the mojo either as I am not really a stack guy either.

Very frustrating to not find sth really suiting my needs... streaming, dsd, exquisitely designed and built, sound great standalone, cost really less of a concern! maybe the next AK will support Android and streaming app and i will be finally happy!

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #3,971 of 9,040
I can relate to your impressions. Mojo with better separation and stage is actually the Hugo, but you then lose some lushness in the mids.

To me the 380 (w or w/o amp) have a sig that is somewhat in between the Hugo and mojo but with wider tho less deep a soundstage. There are a few times when I wanna pull the trigger on the 380 but the lack of streaming app support, and the really cheap (comparatively) mojo stopped me from doing so... I don't think I am going to get the mojo either as I am not really a stack guy either.

Very frustrating to not find sth really suiting my needs... streaming, dsd, exquisitely designed and built, sound great standalone, cost really less of a concern! maybe the next AK will support Android and streaming app and i will be finally happy!

let me put this way, honestly and this is a real honest impression, I find the mids on ak380  more enjoyable than the mojo, as they are more present. Bass impact on mojo is more.

Soundstage on mojo is narrow, I had the hugo and I did not like its sig as it was too neutral for me and lacked bass. 

Had the ak380 been only for 2000 usd I would have not thought about selling it, so I think the best for me is to sell the ak380 and keep the mojo for now despite the very narrow soundstage.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #3,972 of 9,040
let me put this way, honestly and this is a real honest impression, I find the mids on ak380  more enjoyable than the mojo, as they are more present. Bass impact on mojo is more.

Soundstage on mojo is narrow, I had the hugo and I did not like its sig as it was too neutral for me and lacked bass. 

Had the ak380 been only for 2000 usd I would have not thought about selling it, so I think the best for me is to sell the ak380 and keep the mojo for now despite the very narrow soundstage.

Well said. Could have been me talking there lol! Just maybe I feel a bit higher on Hugo than you.

I do enjoy the 380 sig and loved AK design from the original 100. Like you said had the price discrepancy with the mojo is less, it would have been a easier decision to get/keep 380. And there is also the diminishing improvement over 240 to consider. But even with all these considerations I am still THAT close to getting it - which speak to the quality of the AK380. Maybe I will breakdown when they make the SS!

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #3,974 of 9,040
kkcc

When time allows, listen to my 380cu

It will change your mind, serious:)

I am back from Singapore tonight...

Lol the devil! :D I think i was more than convinced...

if only I can unseen the "aging" of the yodabashi demo unit I would be listening to one at this very moment. Guess I'm just OCD! (You can probably remember how upset I was with the scratches on my good old ak120 case...)

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #3,975 of 9,040
Lol the devil!
biggrin.gif
I think i was more than convinced...

if only I can unseen the "aging" of the yodabashi demo unit I would be listening to one at this very moment. Guess I'm just OCD! (You can probably remember how upset I was with the scratches on my good old ak120 case...)

Does the 'aging' develop a nice patina, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back