Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 2, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #3,796 of 9,040
  What can I say about the AK380Cu. Having own the unit for a few weeks now, it seems appropriate to write a short review.  

I, honestly, believe the Cu is the best portable player on the market, bar none and that includes the regular 380. It really is that good! Astell & Kern has really hit the sweet spot with this player, especially on fw 1.23. 

It is the first time I have encountered a portable player that has such a natural presentation. All genre of music emanates from it with such fluidity, density and is absolutely non-fatiguing sounding. This is achieved not by dumbing down, since the Cu is incredibly detailed, and the old adage, that "I am hearing details on the recording that I have never heard before" holds true.  

Timbre, texture and tonal balance are portrayed beautifully and probably due to how well the Cu handles the delivery of notes - leading edges, body and decay. All instruments have great realism and easily identifiable. Vocals are delivered with phrasing, intonations and inflections that is just simply easier to hear.

The most impressive part of the 380Cu for me, is how well it does in unravelling complex music especially, classical pieces and providing an insight into the music, and then allowing the interplay between the different sections or instruments to really come through. This is, I believe, when the musicianship comes through and whether an orchestra or band or vocalist shines with their abilities.

There has never been the occasion where I think let’s try whether it will sound better plugged into a portable amp, and I have many of those (20plus), from the two Analogue Square Paper to a Meier and back to Mass Kobo. It is just near perfect for my lifestyle and usage. I listened for 6 1/2 non-stop with the exception of going through immigration, door to door from the Grand Hyatt Singapore to my home in Hong Kong in a recent trip for CanJam in Singapore. My ears never felt tired, and probably less so than using CX’s phones to watch a movie and listening to engine noise.

The 380Cu has great synergy with the majority of In-Ears I have in my possession and what I have listened to at stores. It always sounds very pleasant and perhaps its performance is at times limited according to transducers used. It is very capable at throwing a very realistic head space with good definition in the x, y, z axis, as well as, good sizing and body to instruments. The Cu has good grip and control of bass reproduction allowing a very tuneful and tactile rhythm to underpin the music. There is a great sense of airiness to the presentation with every instrument having its own space. 

The only criticism is that I feel the price of 380Cu is rather high and that it is not quite so accessible to everyone. However, for me, the enjoyment I have gained from the Cu is immense and I can’t wait to travel again to Singapore next week, followed perhaps by a trip to Europe, and then in April Tokyo for the Fujiya Avic show. Must remember to bring a battery pack if the plane doesn’t have a usb charger in the seat for long hauls.

All in all, one of the most enjoyable products in this hobby that I have owned.... 

Very well stated....  
AK has done a wonderful job supporting this product and every other AK product I've had the pleasure to own!  For example, the AK-240 still continues with honest to goodness quality upgrades. AK focus on build quality, usability,  sound  and long term commitment with respect to FW releases is simply outstanding!  
THANK YOU 
AK 

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #3,797 of 9,040
  Hi Guys,

Apologies if I'm out of line within this thread but I thought this might be the best place to ask a related question..

I'm looking to sell my AK380 and I got a buyer that is interested but is worried about warranty coverage...

Does anyone know what the coverage would be for second owners of these units? or how second owners usually manage their warranty claims?

Warranty is not transferable, if some goes wrong down the road, the buyer can ship the player back to you, then you deal with Iriver.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #3,798 of 9,040
  ...Problem I have now is which IEM to replace the K10U with since I just sold them.

Very interesting feedback on the added value of the CU version.  

But... why did you sell the K10u ?  Arent they some wonderful IEM ?  is there something you did not like with them ?  
eek.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #3,799 of 9,040

Very interesting feedback on the added value of the CU version.  

But... why did you sell the K10u ?  Arent they some wonderful IEM ?  is there something you did not like with them ?  
eek.gif

I loved the K10U they are indeed amazing IEMs, just thought I would give something else a go 
wink_face.gif

So far haven't worked out what that will be yet 
blink.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #3,800 of 9,040
guys do u think there will be an upgrade where we can use eq when i connect the ak380 to my mojo 

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #3,801 of 9,040
For the past couple of days my AK380 hasn't successfully charged the battery when being connected to a Anker charger connected to a wall socket.  I plug the usb cable to the USB port on the amp, and the next day the amp is fully charged, but the AK380 charge hasn't increased.  I've used this method successfully a dozen or so times, but today I was only able to charge the unit after removing it from the amp and connecting directly to the AK380.  

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #3,802 of 9,040
Been enjoying my AK380 for months now with my AK AMP + Moon-Audio Silver Dragon v3 cable + Oppo PM-1. Sounds Stunning by far the best combo set! For me. Well worth the bucks! No more upgrading for me. I'm very happy with my combo set!
Mike

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #3,803 of 9,040
About the CU,of course will be better than AK380.
The best preamplifier of the world (in my opinion) use copper in chassis 

I don´t know if any of you heard FIrstSound , but this preamplifier haven't noise, the silence between the notes are incredible, and the microdynamics,... I think the man of the A&K touch the G point of the music."the silence between the notes"this is the most important in 
music, with this silence we can heard everything ( I don't know if everyone understand what I mean), english isn't my mother language 
cool.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #3,804 of 9,040
  About the CU,of course will be better than AK380.
The best preamplifier of the world (in my opinion) use copper in chassis 

I don´t know if any of you heard FIrstSound , but this preamplifier haven't noise, the silence between the notes are incredible, and the microdynamics,... I think the man of the A&K touch the G point of the music."the silence between the notes"this is the most important in 
music, with this silence we can heard everything ( I don't know if everyone understand what I mean), english isn't my mother language 
cool.gif

well when first the copper ak380 came out out many said that it sounds better than the ak380 regular version, after the firmware update some said now both sound the same, honestly i do not get it how and housing materials can make a sound difference in sound quality for a dap or amp

anyway if it sounds better it might be only a fraction that is not worth it in my opinion to jump the copper version and amp

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #3,805 of 9,040
this is the explanation of the FIRSTSOUND.

"he main chassis is made out of .06 inch thick cold rolled steel. It is then plated with copper all over as per MIL-C-14550B Class 2 specification. The combination of steel and copper provides for the best protection against spurious radiation in the environment. In such a protected environment, the audio circuitry can perform to its maximum potential and not be subject to any degeneration from the external spurious radiation. Furthermore, copper plating lowers the resonant frequency of the steel chassis to a level that does not detract from the harmonics of the musical signal."

"In adherence to the true dual mono construction philosophy, the Linestage I employs separate Left and Right Mounting Platforms. These are made from the same material as the chassis and is also plated with copper. These platforms are shaped in an L figure with one of the planes held vertically to provide for further shielding from the other channel. It houses the separate circuit boards in its underside (for further shielding) and attenuators and selector switches, along with the other computer grade electrolytic capacitors."

gs1000.gif
 I have one, and believe me is the best, and i heard a lot 

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #3,806 of 9,040
  Thanks for the tip off Speed, I think there is a store close by to me that will have the KSE in stock to test.

I have to admit I am also very happy with the RWAK Combo 
biggrin.gif

Apina:

Not sure what your budget is, but Headfonics likes the Empire Ears Zeus model:

http://headfonics.com/2016/03/the-zeus-by-empire-ears/

My Empire Ears Apollo model arrived yesterday and they are fantastic!  I've been listening to the JH Angie since I got the AK380, and the difference between the Apollo and Angie is more than I expected. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #3,807 of 9,040

well when first the copper ak380 came out out many said that it sounds better than the ak380 regular version, after the firmware update some said now both sound the same, honestly i do not get it how and housing materials can make a sound difference in sound quality for a dap or amp

anyway if it sounds better it might be only a fraction that is not worth it in my opinion to jump the copper version and amp

Well copper has been used in High End audio for many years. Perhaps AK got lucky with this choice of material for case. However, iirc earlier in this thread there was some communication posted that copper was actually recommended. Does it make that much difference is debatable, we can only use our ears...if some do not hear any difference that's great and if others do hear it for the better that is also also great

It's about the music after all. 

However, we all know that RFI, Grounding is big business in home audio and people are paying over US$20,000 for a ground box, with TOTL connecting cables at around $15K a pop.

http://www.tripointaudio.us/PRODUCTS.htm

Improvements to your high-end system

Improves smoothness and fluidity

Improves openness and transparency

Improves depth of soundstage

Improves three dimensionality

Improves definition and nuance of all frequencies

Improves timing and pace of the audio signal

Improves three dimensionality

Improved harmonic structures to sound like real instruments

Tighter images in the soundstage

Longer decays of musical notes

No thinness, brightness, or glare

No signature to the sound

I have heard this and, YES, it does what it says on the box

Probably the one of the best Pre Amp available, imho, D7 Ultimate Linestage valve Preamplifier

Copper is used extensively for shielding purposes............

Is it effective on a portable player such as the AK380, for me, I believe so!

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #3,808 of 9,040

Apina:

Not sure what your budget is, but Headfonics likes the Empire Ears Zeus model:

http://headfonics.com/2016/03/the-zeus-by-empire-ears/

My Empire Ears Apollo model arrived yesterday and they are fantastic!  I've been listening to the JH Angie since I got the AK380, and the difference between the Apollo and Angie is more than I expected. 

Jazzi: 

Already sent an email to Jack about the Zeus, seems that all the UIEMs I am looking at are around the same price so it's a matter of biting the bullet and ordering one 
basshead.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #3,809 of 9,040
this might be off topic a bit, i was playing adele hello the song hello album version, and i think somehow that the sound somewhat is shifted to the right a bit with more bass in the right sight or I think the sound is a bit coming from the right by a tiny fraction. I tried many iems and all of them give that same feeling. this does not happen with other albums or bands i have, but only with adele hello, am I imagining this maybe or maybe it was a bad rip 

While the video version is really centered and amazing on youtube

can anyone who has adel hello tell me what he thinks

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #3,810 of 9,040

Jazzi: 

Already sent an email to Jack about the Zeus, seems that all the UIEMs I am looking at are around the same price so it's a matter of biting the bullet and ordering one 
basshead.gif

Apina:

Have you ruled out CIEMs? 

And, you're gonna love working with Jack.  He's really very responsive and helpful. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back