Astell&Kern AK380
Nov 28, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #2,701 of 9,040
What I found was that when the screen saver kicks in on the AK380, AFT stops. I'd have to extend or play with the screen saver to keep the file transfer going - note, I'm not referring to the standby mode but the actual screen saver setting instead.

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #2,702 of 9,040
Awhile back (with my 240) I had terrible transfer issues. (Seems better on 380) Someone recommended that after selecting the music file to transfer, to drag it into AFT very, very slowly prior to releasing. Mostly that cured my problem. Occasionally I have to go to a different or new folder. Hope that helps...but no question, AFT is "clunky"- and that's being generous.

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #2,703 of 9,040
Has anyone had any issues using an SD card with their AK380?

The AK100ii/AK120ii have a notorious issue where music will randomly pause for a second; though it isn't confirmed if it's SD card related, I suspect it is. Has anyone had any similar issues, or anything at all, with an SD card?

Android File Transfer is such a horrific piece of **** that I'm about to go postal. I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to replace a couple folders in AK380 internal storage but AFT just refuses to simply copy some files over, no matter how many times I reboot or reconnect.

Android file transfer made me nearly throw my AK380 at the wall. Common sense prevailed and I returned it and bought a QP1R.
Some MACs seem OK others terrible. Ruins the whole AK experience for me.
The AK100 didn't need it so why go down that path.
QP1R doesn't need it.

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #2,704 of 9,040
Android file transfer made me nearly throw my AK380 at the wall. Common sense prevailed and I returned it and bought a QP1R.
Some MACs seem OK others terrible. Ruins the whole AK experience for me.
The AK100 didn't need it so why go down that path.
QP1R doesn't need it.

Try different cables, i used 4 cables and the cable from my samsung galaxy tab 3 works fine after all. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #2,705 of 9,040

I followed this thread for a while and then fell behind - so apologies if this has been discussed... But have just compared the 2.5/3.5 output of my AK380 into Layla's balanced/unbalanced and the 3.5mm wins hands down in terms of transparency. The 3.5 cable wasn't burned-in either. Have others observed similar ? Jlingo brought my attention to this and I concur with his observations.

My very early impressions when I was burning in the AK 380 were the 3.5 mm unbalanced was a better choice (soundwise) vs the 2.5 mm balanced side.  I also think one of the headphone articles written a while back eluded to issues with the balanced side of the circuit sounding like a poorly designed valve amp.  The funny thing is it's quite the opposite with the AK 240.  Anyway here is the link.to the article:   http://www.headfonia.com/review-astell-kern-ak380-momentary/5/

Sincerely,
-Speed

I'm going to differ in opinion here. The unbalanced output of my AK380 definitely seems much more sibilant and harsh than the balanced output. I much prefer the balanced output.

I am using Layla with AK380 + AMP and fully agree that the sound is more open from se output, also more dynamic. From balanced output it seems that there is a curtain in between. I use Layla with balanced cable and use an adapter to compare with se output. I am also surprised that the volume is not lower from se output ?

Hi piercer,

I understand and completely respect your opinion.  I think you have a good set of ears my friend!  It was honestly my initial impression and the article is negative to say the least regarding the balanced side. Based on your comments, I will go back and run my balanced side enough to fully break it in as I did with the unbalanced side and carefully listen with both the internal AK 380 and external AK PEM 11 amp.  I will use the Layla's and leave my impressions with everyone.

Sincerely,
-Speed 

Hi piercer,

I'm breaking-in the JH Layla cable and the balanced 2.5 mm side of the AK 380+Amp circuit.  Just wondering how many hours do you think is sufficient for proper break-in before I begin my comparison
Sincerely,
-Speed

for the cable zero for sure. The circuit I can't say.

Ok so I've spent the better part of 100 hours breaking-in the AK 380 amp using the balanced side of the circuit with the JH Layla's and the supplied factory balanced cable.  

For reference I had a variety of music files from jazz, blues, pop, rock and metal.  All excellent recordings from 16/44.1 to 24/192.  

Equipment used for my evaluation included:
AK 380
AK External Amp
JH Layla's
Cord Hugo  
HE-1000's with Moon Audio V3 Sliver Dragon cable 
Sennheiser HD 800 Sliver cable and 3.5 mm adapter

Definitions:
Sound signature is described as: The full frequency spectrum including, timbre, dynamics and sound stage

Reference System:
AK 380 (used as transport) connected optically to the Cord Hugo and the HE 1000's with Moon audio V3 Sliver Dragon cable or the Sennheiser HD-800's

Observations:
Balanced mode:
I do agree to a certain extent with  piercer's comment that using the "The unbalanced output ...seems much more sibilant and harsh than the balanced output". 

However I don't think it is "much more sibilant and harsh". To me it's slightly sibilant. I would also like to point out the upper bass frequencies seem a bit more pronounced.  Not blotted but not exactly accurate, more punch in this region.  The upper frequencies are not as articulate to my ears and overall ability to listen to details in the music is just not as apparent to me. The details are their no question (I can hear them) but I'm forcing myself to recall them as opposed to simply being there.  Sound stage width is as good as could be.  The depth perception of the sound stage was diminished to some extent because I kept searching for apparent resolution.  

Unbalanced mode:
When comparing the balanced port to the unbalance port there is a shocking difference in sound signature (see definition above).  I kept going back and forth between the two (switching cables and so forth...) but over all I preferred the sound signature using the unbalanced amp.  

Next I used  my reference system (AK 380 (used as transport) connected to the Cord Hugo and the HE 1000's or Senn's)  
The overall "sound signature" of the reference system was much closer "sound signature" when using the AK 380 in unbalanced mode with the JH Layla's! Very surprising to me!!!

Overall I personally preferred the unbalanced mode and think it's a better choice for my ears.  I'm honestly surprised as an owner of the AK-240 because the balanced side of the amp offered a little bit better sound quality.  But after all this is a different device altogether.  YMMV 

Sincerely,
Your Friend in Audio
-Speed

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #2,706 of 9,040
Thinking the "sound signature" of the unbalanced out of the ak380 sounds similar to ur reference system cause ur reference system is also unbalanced.

Better comparison would be if you had a balanced and single ended reference system to compare to the balanced and SE out of the ak380.

You might just prefer the sound of SE like a lot of other people.

A lot of the difference u are mentioning in the sound of the two ak380 outputs are the same differences I hear from most SE vs balanced systems

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #2,707 of 9,040
Thinking the "sound signature" of the unbalanced out of the ak380 sounds similar to ur reference system cause ur reference system is also unbalanced.

Better comparison would be if you had a balanced and single ended reference system to compare to the balanced and SE out of the ak380.

You might just prefer the sound of SE like a lot of other people.

A lot of the difference u are mentioning in the sound of the two ak380 outputs are the same differences I hear from most SE vs balanced systems

Hi onlychild,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your point. The only other thing I was able to do with my configuration was to compare the balanced and unbalanced ports moving between the ports with the HE-1000's.  And although the sound signature were different between the JH Layla's and HE-1000's they were clearly consistent with my findings.

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed 

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2,708 of 9,040
I've got my AK380 back (think new board inside since it has a new MAC address) - has 1.18 on it. I kinda like the signature that it seems more fluid and vinyl-like. Although I general prefer a slightly brighter signature (which I think the former 1.15 I had did if memory serves me correctly?), 1.18 seems to do well too.

The DSD128/256/DXD issues seems to have been addressed and so far at least, no looping reboots.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #2,709 of 9,040
I've got my AK380 back (think new board inside since it has a new MAC address) - has 1.18 on it. I kinda like the signature that it seems more fluid and vinyl-like. Although I general prefer a slightly brighter signature (which I think the former 1.15 I had did if memory serves me correctly?), 1.18 seems to do well too.

The DSD128/256/DXD issues seems to have been addressed and so far at least, no looping reboots.

May I know what earphone and cable current you are using for the ak380?

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #2,710 of 9,040
May I know what earphone and cable current you are using for the ak380?
Stock FitEar cable SE terminated & MH335DW-SR.

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #2,711 of 9,040

Congratulations! I've managed to roll back to 1.17 here as well. I think you pinpointed the keyword here: "brighter". 1.17 is bright while 1.18 is flat. Picture yourself walking past a guy holding a AK380 in hand, listening to it with no facial expression whatsoever looking all bored. That would be me listening to 1.18.
atsmile.gif

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2,712 of 9,040
Heard it, seriously overpriced. Instead of releasing a new model every other week they better put in a couple of streaming services. I will not buy A&K again. I laughed when I compared it to both Chords. Don't want to bash anyone but I think A&K should get its **** together.

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #2,713 of 9,040
  ​
Congratulations! I've managed to roll back to 1.17 here as well. I think you pinpointed the keyword here: "brighter". 1.17 is bright while 1.18 is flat. Picture yourself walking past a guy holding a AK380 in hand, listening to it with no facial expression whatsoever looking all bored. That would be me listening to 1.18.
atsmile.gif

Hi my-2000,

Did you manage to get the roll-back at your local servicing center? How do you go about determining your local servicing center?

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #2,714 of 9,040
Heard it, seriously overpriced. Instead of releasing a new model every other week they better put in a couple of streaming services. I will not buy A&K again. I laughed when I compared it to both Chords. Don't want to bash anyone but I think A&K should get its **** together.

My chord doesn't make any sound nor play any files, AK380 at least does :)

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #2,715 of 9,040
  Hi my-2000,

Did you manage to get the roll-back at your local servicing center? How do you go about determining your local servicing center?

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed

Not sure if it works the same away globally but in my case here, the service centre is the office of our local exclusive distributor. Fortunately I don't have to go to them this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back