Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 3, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #2,194 of 9,040
  I'm just upgrading to FW 1.14 @ the moment. Curious if anyone has anything to report of any sonic changes?

Edit: Wow....is it me or is it "brighter" than 1.11? Just very very very very preliminary first few minute listen.

AnakChan,

I get very nervous when folks like you (who I trust) are making comments like this!  What do you mean when you say "brighter".  I like the sound of 1.11... but that said it's very early in the firmware life-cycle for this product (as it's very new) to simply stay at the 1.11 release.  I was expecting (and I hoped) greater improvements in the 380 with regard to sound and feature enhancements. Please advise...

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio 
-Speed.

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #2,197 of 9,040
  Can someone help me reverse the firmware upgrade, from 1.14 back to 1.11

Thanks

AnakChan,

I get very nervous when folks like you (who I trust) are making comments like this!  What do you mean when you say "brighter".  I like the sound of 1.11... but that said it's very early in the firmware life-cycle for this product (as it's very new) to simply stay at the 1.11 release.  I was expecting (and I hoped) greater improvements in the 380 with regard to sound and feature enhancements. Please advise...

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio 
-Speed.

Isn't scarier when you read a comment like the one above
basshead.gif
!? Well I'm not certain......I was listening to the 1.11 for about an hr or two in the office (mind you I was focused on work @ that time) then upgraded to 1.14 and at least to me first instinct was "is it brighter?".

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #2,198 of 9,040
  AnakChan,

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio 
-Speed.

Hello Guys,

I am not a good writer but I will try to explain. I thought I was so close to coming to the end with my chase of the sound I am looking for. Especially after purchasing the AK380 Amp and had a week of running in. The sound was very musical from the AK380 alone but I thought was lacking some power, dynamic and air. The Amp had added more power, urge and dynamic to the sound signature, making the music more exciting and engaging. I also do think the amp added some air to the treble and better separation, maybe because the whole sound stage is larger and deeper. I was a happy chap!

After the upgrade to 1.14, wow I had to turn down the volume. The music sounds busy, annoying. So I sat down trying to pin point whats was the difference. This is what I thought was the changes; treble is brighter and more detailed; mid is more forward and more pronounce; bass is tighter and quicker, quicker decay. Then I asked myself all those are plus points, why? Then I spent a few hours going through my favourite tracks again, Female Vocal, R & B, Techno and Classical. My conclusion is the sound is too cold, bright and maybe clinical in my own words. When I first demo the AK380 in the shop, I thought wow, warmish sounding, very detail DAP.

I must also add that all above was listen through the AK380 with the Amp. After the upgrade to 1.14, I had stopped using the AMP. Listening to the AK380 alone is more bearable but still not good.

Guys this is my own experience, I am not implying that the AK380 nor the 1.14 was bad in any way. I am just very upset that my happy sounding system had all gone down the drain.  :frowning2:

After reading through the AK240 page, I had learned that I may be able to obtain a hex file from IRiver to downgrade back to 1.11. I had emailed IRiver and I will update back here when I hear from them.

Best Regards
Hym

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,199 of 9,040
Hmm, the AK760 must be coming out soon so they are degrading the sound as they have done on previous players via firmware " upgrades".! :)

Many of us with the 120 have gone back to previous firmware a even though initially we thought the new ones were better due to sound quality and functionality.

I was running the latest one and the sound was I though more dynamic but was not keeping my attention plus my micro SD cards kept crashing. Went back to 1.32 and cards don't crash any more and my feet are tapping again to the music. I know that's with the 120 but it's all in the family!

You see, in the next month or so we will see an announcement of a new player or an upgraded new super duper version!

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,204 of 9,040
I recently listened to the 380 with and without amp using AKG812 ( Stefan Audio Arts endorphin cable), Night Hawk, Sennheiser ie800 (Moon Audio silver Dragon cables), Noble Savant (Crystal cables), the iems both balanced and not.
I also listened to the same combo with my 240.

There was an obvious difference with the 380. The sound was bigger, richer, more dramatic but not as clear or transparent as the 240. I am not sure I preferred it.The difference although obvious was not huge.
Adding the amp improved the sound without altering its character, more headroom, more punchy.
Interestingly adding the amp did not seem to add much sheer volume. The volume setting on the 380 did not have to be reduced much. I did not try altering the gain.
Using the 380 amp the balanced output was noticeably better for the iems, cleaner, more precise.
As to the cans, I am a fan of the AKG. clear, transparent and pure.
I did not send much time with the Night Hawk. Nothing wrong with it but nothing special either, rather anonymous.
The Savants reminded me of the AKG3003 but better. Not as much whistling in the treble but they were still very treble oriented especially compared with the Sennheisers which give a huge dark deep sound.

At the end I did not feel an immediate compulsion to go out and buy the 380.

You try it with the Layla's.. It's like being there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back