Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 8, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #991 of 9,040
  i just bought a hugo and will be using it with my 120 titan....i have a 240 as well and am very eager to hear the difference in sound quality......i have been putting off buying a hugo for some time but finally decided to bite the bullet after reading all the incredible reviews.I think the hugo is the best reviewed piece of gear i have seen in years

congrats! You'll be very happy.

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #992 of 9,040

I spent some quality time with both AK240SS and AK380 + Hugo with both my pair of IEMs (Earsonics Velvet) and LCD3 (Fazor). Let me state clearly that everything is rather preliminary as I did not have time to stay with the devices for weeks and the AK380 is only burning in slowly. I have listened to various files (Redbook, HiRes and DSD 2.8/5.6). The first thing I noticed again is the excellent performance of a (semi-burned in) AK380 on its own with IEMs. I would not like to exaggerate (as the impression may change down the road), but the sound reminds me of a full-fledged home system. It is large, deep, spacious with many interesting subtleties. I must also say it is different from the AK240SS used in the same type of configuration. The AK240SS is nice and it would still be a reference player had the AK380 not be there. I am not sure on the words to use but I think, from a purely subjective point of view, the sound of AK380 as a standalone DAP is more natural while the AK240SS is a little more "artificial". Please note that "artificial" is not used with a negative connotation. It is simply more digital than the AK380. Certainly this has to do with the new chips and perhaps their implementation (leaving aside the material used - steel against duraluminium). The AK380 with certain tracks (especially DSD but sometimes with some simple CD rips) reminds me of the mood and soundstage I experience using my PS Audio Directstream DAC in full system setup.

I have then tried AK380 and AK240SS paired with my Hugo via optical cable with both IEMs and LCD 3. I must say I am a big fan of Hugo sound and I have been using it with my home system before getting the PS Audio Directstream. However, when AK380 is paired with Hugo, I find that it loses its "magic". More precisely, if I were to use IEMs with AK380+Hugo I would find the bass deep but a bit more bloated than using the AK380 alone. In addition, albeit the Hugo signature sound is retained, the subtleties noted with the AK380 on its own are no longer there. Note that this does not mean that the Hugo sound is not good. To me, it only means that perhaps there are less synergies between AK380 and Hugo. When I used the AK380 + Hugo with LCD 3 (there is no other way to use LCD with AK380 now as the power may not be sufficient) I still find the combo nice but it does not strike me as very different from the one I have been listening to for a couple of months comprising AK120 Titan + Hugo. It is slightly better, but not worlds apart.

The story is rather different when I paired AK240SS with Hugo and used both IEMs and LCD 3. If I had to choose one DAP to be used with my IEMs, my preference would certainly go for AK380. The AK240SS is excellent on many respects (especially naturalness of the presentation) but I cannot stop thinking about that lack of space I get when I compare A/B AK380/AK240SS. When added to Hugo, though, the AK240SS improves (ever so slightly but in a nice manner). For example the bass that were not as tight as with AK380 + Hugo are nice, lush, full and deep with the AK240SS + Hugo. The same feeling of completeness applies to mids and trebles. Somehow, AK240SS + Hugo is a better marriage than AK380 + Hugo. This feeling is perceived strongly when LCD 3 are used instead of IEMs.

One quick note on the hardware: AK380 is rather big (especially in comparison with AK240/AK240SS). However, it is light and easy to carry around. In addition, especially the units I have tried (with 1.0 FW) are really snappy. a full 128GB card with music in various formats, is read within 1 minute. In addition the artwork is displayed more quickly with no obvious delay (which somehow occurs on previous models).

Assuming that the little disagreement between AK380 + Hugo remains even after a full burn-in of the AK380, I believe it would be interesting to check carefully what is the performance of the AK380 + the AK external amp with a full-fledged headphone. So far I have not been able to find one to try but I will report some findings if I happen to have the luck to spend some time with it.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #993 of 9,040

I spent some quality time with both AK240SS and AK380 + Hugo with both my pair of IEMs (Earsonics Velvet) and LCD3 (Fazor). Let me state clearly that everything is rather preliminary as I did not have time to stay with the devices for weeks and the AK380 is only burning in slowly. I have listened to various files (Redbook, HiRes and DSD 2.8/5.6). The first thing I noticed again is the excellent performance of a (semi-burned in) AK380 on its own with IEMs. I would not like to exaggerate (as the impression may change down the road), but the sound reminds me of a full-fledged home system. It is large, deep, spacious with many interesting subtleties. I must also say it is different from the AK240SS used in the same type of configuration. The AK240SS is nice and it would still be a reference player had the AK380 not be there. I am not sure on the words to use but I think, from a purely subjective point of view, the sound of AK380 as a standalone DAP is more natural while the AK240SS is a little more "artificial". Please note that "artificial" is not used with a negative connotation. It is simply more digital than the AK380. Certainly this has to do with the new chips and perhaps their implementation (leaving aside the material used - steel against duraluminium). The AK380 with certain tracks (especially DSD but sometimes with some simple CD rips) reminds me of the mood and soundstage I experience using my PS Audio Directstream DAC in full system setup.

I have then tried AK380 and AK240SS paired with my Hugo via optical cable with both IEMs and LCD 3. I must say I am a big fan of Hugo sound and I have been using it with my home system before getting the PS Audio Directstream. However, when AK380 is paired with Hugo, I find that it loses its "magic". More precisely, if I were to use IEMs with AK380+Hugo I would find the bass deep but a bit more bloated than using the AK380 alone. In addition, albeit the Hugo signature sound is retained, the subtleties noted with the AK380 on its own are no longer there. Note that this does not mean that the Hugo sound is not good. To me, it only means that perhaps there are less synergies between AK380 and Hugo. When I used the AK380 + Hugo with LCD 3 (there is no other way to use LCD with AK380 now as the power may not be sufficient) I still find the combo nice but it does not strike me as very different from the one I have been listening to for a couple of months comprising AK120 Titan + Hugo. It is slightly better, but not worlds apart.

The story is rather different when I paired AK240SS with Hugo and used both IEMs and LCD 3. If I had to choose one DAP to be used with my IEMs, my preference would certainly go for AK380. The AK240SS is excellent on many respects (especially naturalness of the presentation) but I cannot stop thinking about that lack of space I get when I compare A/B AK380/AK240SS. When added to Hugo, though, the AK240SS improves (ever so slightly but in a nice manner). For example the bass that were not as tight as with AK380 + Hugo are nice, lush, full and deep with the AK240SS + Hugo. The same feeling of completeness applies to mids and trebles. Somehow, AK240SS + Hugo is a better marriage than AK380 + Hugo. This feeling is perceived strongly when LCD 3 are used instead of IEMs.

One quick note on the hardware: AK380 is rather big (especially in comparison with AK240/AK240SS). However, it is light and easy to carry around. In addition, especially the units I have tried (with 1.0 FW) are really snappy. a full 128GB card with music in various formats, is read within 1 minute. In addition the artwork is displayed more quickly with no obvious delay (which somehow occurs on previous models).

Assuming that the little disagreement between AK380 + Hugo remains even after a full burn-in of the AK380, I believe it would be interesting to check carefully what is the performance of the AK380 + the AK external amp with a full-fledged headphone. So far I have not been able to find one to try but I will report some findings if I happen to have the luck to spend some time with it.

Great feedback. Looking forward to more observations when your 380 is fully burned in.

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #994 of 9,040

Nice comparision indeed!

I would like to know the difference between ak240>Hugo and ak380 with ak amp too.

And one more question, do u think there r significant sound variations between ak120 and ak240 optical out to hugo?

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #995 of 9,040
Nice comparision indeed!

I would like to know the difference between ak240>Hugo and ak380 with ak amp too.

And one more question, do u think there r significant sound variations between ak120 and ak240 optical out to hugo?

Thanks! It is difficult to get hold of the amp units around, but I might try. With regards to the differences you mentioned, I believe the AK240 + Hugo sounds different when compared with AK120 (Titan) + Hugo. In terms of sheer personal preferences, I think AK120 + Hugo is sonically better than AK100 II + Hugo. The sound is fuller, more details are perceived without any unnecessary harshness, especially when used in conjunction with my LCD 3. I have only tried the AK240SS with Hugo as I no longer hold the initial AK240. The sound is different. In principle, the optical connection should place a large emphasis on Hugo's DAC and amp sessions, but I still find that AK240SS + Hugo sounds more natural than AK120 Titan + Hugo, which to my ears appear veiled (darker, if you wish) in comparison. After all is a matter of preferences but certainly, if possible, I would recommend you to try AK240SS + Hugo as it is a very nice combination indeed!

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #996 of 9,040
Thx for suggestion.

I am using AK240 rightnow and searching for an upgrade.
struggling between AK240 > Chord Hugo Aurender Flow & AK380 with AK amp.

I love the sound signature of AK, clean and sharp,
chord hugo is a bit 'warm' to me.
so I have a high expectation on AK380 with AK amp.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #997 of 9,040

I would recommend you to try AK240SS + Hugo as it is a very nice combination indeed!

Yes it is! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #998 of 9,040
Using

ak240ss+hugo

ak240ss+duet amp

iphone+hugo

What are the differences ? I can not understand why we have to use ak240ss and hugo together ? Hugo dac or 2400ss dac ? hugo amp or 240ss amp ? I am confused...

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #999 of 9,040
Using

ak240ss+hugo

ak240ss+duet amp

iphone+hugo

What are the differences ? I can not understand why we have to use ak240ss and hugo together ? Hugo dac or 2400ss dac ? hugo amp or 240ss amp ? I am confused...

If i buy chord hugo, I may just pair with ak100, but as my experiences, ak100 and ak240 optical in Hugo, the sound is different, but not that significant.

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #1,000 of 9,040
No offense, but when they say AK240SS + Hugo is better than AK380 + Hugo, I am still confused how can they hear the difference? Is AK240SS and AK380 manipulating the digital signals before passing to the DAC? If they are not then AK240 + Hugo and iPhone + Hugo would be exactly same. 

I have tried iPhone 6 plus + hugo / AK240 + hugo and couldn't hear any difference. Is it a mental satisfaction people are trying to perceive since they have spent so much on TOTL devices?

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,001 of 9,040
  No offense, but when they say AK240SS + Hugo is better than AK380 + Hugo, I am still confused how can they hear the difference? Is AK240SS and AK380 manipulating the digital signals before passing to the DAC? If they are not then AK240 + Hugo and iPhone + Hugo would be exactly same. 

I have tried iPhone 6 plus + hugo / AK240 + hugo and couldn't hear any difference. Is it a mental satisfaction people are trying to perceive since they have spent so much on TOTL devices?

I don't know about the case of the AK players, but a few years back I had a VentureCraft Go-DAP 4.0 optical out sounding rather dull. According to the makers, they upsampled to 48kHz through the the Toslink and think that may have been the cause. This means makers still have the opportunity to manipulate digital before it's passed out to an external DAC. It's very highly unlikely that AK would consider changing the optical out implementation from one model to another of their offerings however, that possibility is still there; or maybe they just simply swapped to a different parts vendor for the  Toslink optical out. Guess it'll be a question to AK engineers.

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,002 of 9,040

I'm guessing it's much like the ongoing headphone cable arguments.  IMO, yes, you can hear subtle differences, but they are subtle.  I've used various Apple products with the Hugo, and there are very small differences in sq, though all are played through the same micro usb connection.  Final proof, to me, is that you can use the equalizer in the source and the changes in signature made by the equalizer come through to the Hugo headphone output.  My 2 cents.

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,003 of 9,040
I'm guessing it's much like the ongoing headphone cable arguments.  IMO, yes, you can hear subtle differences, but they are subtle.  I've used various Apple products with the Hugo, and there are very small differences in sq, though all are played through the same micro usb connection.  Final proof, to me, is that you can use the equalizer in the source and the changes in signature made by the equalizer come through to the Hugo headphone output.  My 2 cents.

Agree, thats subtle, probably different "taste".

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #1,005 of 9,040

Users who are viewing this thread

Back