Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 18, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #7,966 of 9,041
I have no idea if it is my fortune or bane that my music genre hardly, if ever, releases stuff in MQA. Heck, I'll be happy to even see anything above standard lossless flac....

That said, I for one have very little intention to upgrade from my CU. After being with my CU for the better part of a year, it has really grown onto me. But, if upgradetitis does come biting, I'll just wait till end 2017 to do a full musashi mod. I have a friend who upgraded his 240SS with said mod, and not even the 380CU could tempt him. So with that as a reference point, I can only imagine how the CU musashi mod will sound like :p 
Lol, same. I primarily listen to a bunch of smaller EDM labels and they hardly ever have even flac. I've actually started directly contacting the music artists/managers asking where the best place is for highest quality audio file for their music and most of them actually get back to me or send a copy of their master version to me.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #7,967 of 9,041
Lol, same. I primarily listen to a bunch of smaller EDM labels and they hardly ever have even flac. I've actually started directly contacting the music artists/managers asking where the best place is for highest quality audio file for their music and most of them actually get back to me or send a copy of their master version to me.

urgh....lucky you. I listen primarily to japanese pop/female vocals, and most artists are contracted by the big name labels. So, I have a better chance striking the lottery, than getting access to the master copies of the studio recordings. 

Which, is probably also who the CU suits my taste more than most other players that have a thicker/richer sound. J music tends to be very fast/technical, and that demands a fast decay or everything will just sound like a muddy mess. 

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #7,968 of 9,041
urgh....lucky you. I listen primarily to japanese pop/female vocals, and most artists are contracted by the big name labels. So, I have a better chance striking the lottery, than getting access to the master copies of the studio recordings. 

Which, is probably also who the CU suits my taste more than most other players that have a thicker/richer sound. J music tends to be very fast/technical, and that demands a fast decay or everything will just sound like a muddy mess. 
I still don't have an AK380 though, I simply don't have the money to be able to buy one as a high school student. My main source is my LG V20 for right now and it's really good for a phone, but not nearly up to the quality of the 380.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #7,969 of 9,041

Hmm, I've never really thought of doing that. I'm a dance music fiend myself, and a lot of tracks that I love are impossible to find in high quality MP3, let alone FLAC or WAV. Sites like Beatport and Juno are only good to get about 1/2 of my favorites. Think I might just contact some of these producers directly. Thanks for the tip!

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #7,970 of 9,041
Mm...consider yourself very lucky. When I was a high school student, we were content with "hifi" Walkman.....Walkman the cassette player.

I don't get your generation. You have the internet, smartphones, laptops and PS4s. My generation had to make do with rotary phones, mechanical typewriters, payphones, cassette players and Pong.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #7,971 of 9,041
Hmm, I've never really thought of doing that. I'm a dance music fiend myself, and a lot of tracks that I love are impossible to find in high quality MP3, let alone FLAC or WAV. Sites like Beatport and Juno are only good to get about 1/2 of my favorites. Think I might just contact some of these producers directly. Thanks for the tip!
Yeah, I mean it's worth a try, I don't feel asking can hurt. I just try to be as clear as I can in the email that I'm not asking for a free download, and that I'm just wanting to know where to get the highest quality version of the music and and sometimes, like I've had it happen maybe 3 or 4 times, they asked me which songs or what album or EP and then they just send me them. Most of the time they ask what I'm looking for and tell me where to go to download it and of course sometimes they just don't respond.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #7,973 of 9,041
I don't care if AK implements MQA to be honest, I want them to be roon ready! That would be truly amazing imo...

may be the successor to the AK380 will not be ROON ready because it is a portable device, BUT the successor to the desktom AK500n should really be ROON ready, or even ROON SERVER.

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #7,975 of 9,041
I have no idea if it is my fortune or bane that my music genre hardly, if ever, releases stuff in MQA. Heck, I'll be happy to even see anything above standard lossless flac....

That said, I for one have very little intention to upgrade from my CU. After being with my CU for the better part of a year, it has really grown onto me. But, if upgradetitis does come biting, I'll just wait till end 2017 to do a full musashi mod. I have a friend who upgraded his 240SS with said mod, and not even the 380CU could tempt him. So with that as a reference point, I can only imagine how the CU musashi mod will sound like :p 

The Musahi Mod sounds tempting but I am always very leery about mod mainly because I worry it will change what like about the original characteristic. For the CU, I really like the airiness and the sound presentation. Sometimes if they boost the capacitors and increase the low frequency range, that will destroy the airiness and clarity. But if you want to be the first one to try I will love to hear that.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #7,976 of 9,041
[ATTACHMENT=4235]IMG_0557.JPG (1,157k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #7,977 of 9,041

Can never get the hang of putting photos on this site.....must be my age....anyway, this all sounds pretty good....

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #7,978 of 9,041
Is anyone succesfully using the Samsung 256gb micro sd card, or is everyone using the Sandisk 256gb? thanks

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #7,980 of 9,041
I'm using one with my AK320 and it works perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back