Astell&Kern AK380
Jul 21, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #5,971 of 9,041

If you are referring to the AK380 alone, then yes there is a rather noticeable difference - the SE better in articulation, note weight, timbre and transient for BA based iems, while the balance out is better in soundstage, bass slam and a noticeably cleaner background for dynamic based iems, hybrids and headphones. Other unnamed qualities are similar if not more or less the same. For instance my MH335DWSR sounds much better on SE with the AK380 alone while it sounds phenomenal in balanced mode with the AK380 AMP module. I think one of the biggest plus of the AMP is to implement a truly universally usable balanced output - some of my BA iems are simply unlistenable with standalone AK380's balanced output - empty sounding without soul and substance.

By contrast, the SE and balanced out on my Venturecraft Valoq are much more similar.

This sums it all up. Balanced is not necessarily always better in every aspect. Nicely done. Really nice.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #5,972 of 9,041
  Calling all users who have previous reported that their AK380 has been stuck in balanced mode. My AK380 got stuck in balanced mode again yesterday after being fine for two months, I have sent an email to AK staff, and will include it below so others can know the details and previous developments of this issue. If you have suffered / are suffering from this problem, I urge you to voice out to AK so they would be more inclined to fix this, if more customers voice out to them. 

"To whom it may concern,

My AK380 on firmware 1.24 was stuck in balanced mode in April, in which I have emailed AK support and Kai told me to RMA my AK380 to him for repair. The shop I bought the AK380 from fixed the problem by inserting both 3.5mm and 2.5mm male jacks into the player and unplugging both at the same time, making the 'BAL' on the status bar go away and I can use the 3.5mm output again.

Since yesterday, my AK380 has been stuck in balanced mode again after inserting Layla's 2.5mm jack. I now can't listen to any music with the 3.5mm jack. 

This is a well known problem and many users on the Head Fi AK380 thread have reported it, with AK offering no solution except RMA, for 3 months. 

Please note that RMA is undesirable because:

1) ECT, the distributor for AK products in Hong Kong, is only opened on Monday to Friday during normal working hours;

2) It takes an extremely long time to RMA the unit back to AK in Korea, and my shop fixing it by the method mentioned above proved that this is not a hardware problem and can be fixed by firmware update.

It is unreasonable that since the problem has been persisting for 3 months, with AK's knowledge of both the problem and solutions that have worked, that AK has still not addressed the problem by a simple OTA firmware update, instead requiring users to take leave off work and give up their player for weeks for something that does not require a repair on hardware. This robs us of our ownership of a USD $3700 device and wastes our warranty period for a RMA that is not required in the first place.

I was a previous owner of the AK120II, and I know that the 2nd generation of AK players had a settings option of switching between balanced and unbalanced mode manually. If you are unable to fix the auto detection of balanced / unbalanced on the AK380, please bring back this setting via firmware update so at least a very basic functionality of the player is not disabled. 

I look forward to your reply."

So plugging in both 3.5 and 2.5 mm and then plugging them out at the same time seems to be the trick to get it out of balanced mode. Thanks for the info, bro. Great stuff there. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #5,973 of 9,041
So plugging in both 3.5 and 2.5 mm and then plugging them out at the same time seems to be the trick to get it out of balanced mode. Thanks for the info, bro. Great stuff there. 
you have to do it repeatedly and hope the BAL somehow disappears, there is also no guarantee, plus it is annoying, thus everyone should just pester AK for a firmware upgrade

Jul 22, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #5,974 of 9,041

If you are referring to the AK380 alone, then yes there is a rather noticeable difference - the SE better in articulation, note weight, timbre and transient for BA based iems, while the balance out is better in soundstage, bass slam and a noticeably cleaner background for dynamic based iems, hybrids and headphones. Other unnamed qualities are similar if not more or less the same. For instance my MH335DWSR sounds much better on SE with the AK380 alone while it sounds phenomenal in balanced mode with the AK380 AMP module. I think one of the biggest plus of the AMP is to implement a truly universally usable balanced output - some of my BA iems are simply unlistenable with standalone AK380's balanced output - empty sounding without soul and substance.

By contrast, the SE and balanced out on my Venturecraft Valoq are much more similar.

I remember almost 10 years ago when Ray Samuels first released the first balance portable amp (Protector), there were a lot of argument over whether balance is real or not.  I was fully in the balance camp as I can hear the difference noticeably.  But the design of Ray's balance portable amp was great.  There is no question that Balance has its benefit but the design has to be right. But when I recently re-cabled my phones to balance and with adapter I can try both SE and balance easily on my 380cu, I am surprised that I wasn't able to hear much difference.  I believe my collection of iems are good enough to tell the difference if there is any (UE10pro, JH13 Frephase, U12, FiBaSS and will have Andromeda by tomorrow). @Anakchan, I have used iems and am able to tell big difference before.  Besides, the 380cu's amp is not strong enough for many full size phones. 

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #5,975 of 9,041
At least for me, BA IEMs mostly benefit very little (i.e. there is a difference but slight) with the exception of Noble K10's...I don't know why that specifically. Hybrid IEMs seem to benefit a little more, ok at least the 1Plus2 (and 1Plus2.2) but didn't have balanced cables for the Kumitate Trio to confirm about hybrids. Probably 'cos my ears aren't sensitive enough but for me, it's the large cans that is most apparent for balanced vs unbalanced.

I'd probably just like to clarify, when you say AK380Cu's amp, I guess you mean the internal amp of AK380Cu? I keep misinterpreting it as AK380Cu's amp (meaning the piggyback amp) as to me that DAP/Amp combo does seem to drive the likes of HD800s and HE1K sufficiently - that's not to say AK excels at it, however I regularly listen to large cans off my AK380Cu+amp - in fact I did on Wednesday at e-earphone borrowing their demo LCD-4 and HE1K. I didn't have to max out the volume and was driving them loud enough to annoy the poor customers sitting next to me.

I'm mostly happy with my AK380Cu+amp in terms of sonic. I only wish it wasn't that heavy (no, not going to Duralumin and lose the Cu sound), and manual amp on and auto off annoys quite a bit.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #5,976 of 9,041
Anak, you are right, when I say 380cu's amp, I was referring to the 380cu's internal amp. Btw, I am really surprised that the 380cu+amp can drive the LCD4. Also How do you compare the 380cu to the LPG? I've been thinking if I should Pick up the LPG.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #5,977 of 9,041
Anak, you are right, when I say 380cu's amp, I was referring to the 380cu's internal amp. Btw, I am really surprised that the 380cu+amp can drive the LCD4. Also How do you compare the 380cu to the LPG? I've been thinking if I should Pick up the LPG.

I also auditioned the LPG but as I said, it is simply no match to the AK380Cu.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #5,978 of 9,041
Jul 22, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #5,979 of 9,041
Lou, have you listened to the Andromeda or the Pristine out of 380cu yet? I should be getting the Andromeda in 12hours. Can't wait to hear them. I was chasing the numbers of BA drivers until I heard the FiBaSS from Final Audio which is a single drive and my whole perspective toward sound changed. Now I am more enamoured by finely tuned monitors than high numbers of drivers.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #5,980 of 9,041
Lou, have you listened to the Andromeda or the Pristine out of 380cu yet? I should be getting the Andromeda in 12hours. Can't wait to hear them. I was chasing the numbers of BA drivers until I heard the FiBaSS from Final Audio which is a single drive and my whole perspective toward sound changed. Now I am more enamoured by finely tuned monitors than high numbers of drivers.

Sorry I haven't heard any Campfire Audio stuff. I know there is a fan base for Final Audio products but I'm afraid I have passed since I heard them for the first time.  Zero isolation and almost zero bass (forgot the model but it was the flagship at that time). Interesting sound signature though.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #5,981 of 9,041
But you have to try the Pristine Hum and report back.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #5,983 of 9,041
Google it. It's in HK and Singapore.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #5,984 of 9,041

I did on the same listening session on Wednesday - was comparing the S-EM9 against the Andromeda before returning the S-EM9 loaner. I have to say I do like the Andromeda quite a bit - nice full sound that's quite well balanced. The S-EM9 had a somewhat more tamed treble comparatively (but not rolled off). 

Not heard the Pristine.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #5,985 of 9,041

I did on the same listening session on Wednesday - was comparing the S-EM9 against the Andromeda before returning the S-EM9 loaner. I have to say I do like the Andromeda quite a bit - nice full sound that's quite well balanced. The S-EM9 had a somewhat more tamed treble comparatively (but not rolled off). 

Not heard the Pristine.

Hi AnakChan - which one do you like more - the Andromeda or the Layla?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back