Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 21, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #5,626 of 9,040
I've just got an AK320 which sounds great to me.

I was just wondering, can I tell people I have "the best" player, given that "the AK380Cu is the best of the best of the best"

I'd also like to say it sounds "sublime" but I'm not sure if that is allowed.

I do appreciate that it is important to get our relative positions correct, and I don't want to embarrass myself!

Why don't we decide here once and for all:

The best of the best of the best of the best of the best iof the best is RWAK380CU
The best of the best of the best of the best of the best is 380CU
The best of the best of the best of the best is AK380 black
The best of the best of the best is AK380
The best of the best is AK320
The best is AK 300

Have we covered everyone yet?

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #5,627 of 9,040

The best of the best of the best of the best of the best iof the best is RWAK380CU
The best is AK 300

Think that does the trick

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #5,628 of 9,040

The best is AK 300

Ok let's all agree on this so that we can move forward.

But.... we will need to reconsider all this when AK480 Will come :grimacing:

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #5,629 of 9,040

The best is AK 300

Phew, I'm glad that's sorted out!

Reminds me of the classic UK Two Ronnies Sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k1iRD2f-c

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #5,630 of 9,040
Ok let's all agree on this so that we can move forward.

But.... we will need to reconsider all this when AK480 Will come :grimacing:

On second thought, I am still missing RWAK 380, RWAK 380 Black, RWAK 320, RWAK 300 but somebody else has to rank them as the words "the best of the best of the best " is now repeating in my mind and I cannot get rid of it.

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #5,633 of 9,040
my ak380 is suffering from erratic volume issue, I bought it from Dubai on a trip, while I live in Israel

Sending the ak380 to Dubai is not an option as there is no mail from Israel to Dubai

I was wondering how can fix this as its still under warranty as I bought it in Jan-2016

Who shall I contact to solve this issue 

Your help is appreciated

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #5,635 of 9,040

The best is AK 300

That sounds fair. But it doesn't cover the sublime part.

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #5,637 of 9,040
  You actually have to hear and compare before making judgments. The notion was hilarious to me too before I actually compared them side by side.

The only possible thing I can think of is the copper version might shield more EMI - otherwise if you aren't hearing any static or distortion (which I have never read about except for the Red Wine modded versions) then I can't possible see how changing the outside shell can change the digital sound.

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #5,638 of 9,040
The only possible thing I can think of is the copper version might shield more EMI - otherwise if you aren't hearing any static or distortion (which I have never read about except for the Red Wine modded versions) then I can't possible see how changing the outside shell can change the digital sound.

As I stated before my theory Is that In the Coper version the components used are of better tolerence ( like 1% résistance instead of 5% ).

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #5,639 of 9,040
As I stated before my theory Is that In the Coper version the components used are of better tolerence ( like 1% résistance instead of 5% ).

I mean I guess thats possible lol

Seems crazy to me that it would sound better if the internal components are the same and there's no emi, but to each their own!

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #5,640 of 9,040
mmm......let's just agree to disagree and move on. Whether you believe the cu is better than the rest or not is immaterial. Some will say it is, Some will say it isn't. It is a zero sum game since none of us here knows how many cu units iRiver has sold since launch. Did it outsell comparable DAPs in the market? Did it outsell the previous AK flagship? Did it sell all 500 units of the cu? In other words, how did the market vote with their wallet?

I do agree with @louisarmstrong that the 380 cu is the best of the best of the best, in terms of SQ in the (unmodified/stock) DAP market. The only real competitor is the AK 380. If you look at the DAP market and setting aside the price tags, there isn't any finer. Not the Sonys. Not the iBasso. Not the Cayins. Not the Fiios. Not the  Luxury and Precision. Of the DAPs, I've auditioned or owned, the only non-AK DAP that comes close in terms of SQ would be the super-ugly Lotoo Paw Gold and the qualitative difference is not even close. If given a free gift from Santa Claus, I bet you that 9 out of 10 headfier would choose the cu.

A large part of the dislike for  the  AK players is due the huge price tag. I can understand that and I do agree that iRiver is dangerously close to pricing itself out of the market, specially if its competitors step up their game in the luxury DAP segment.

I am not trying to persuade anyone here to get the cu. I don't care if iRiver sells 10 or 10,000. That's not my problem. I am just being honest as a headfier would really fancies high-end DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back