Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 21, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #5,613 of 9,040
Sometimes I wonder why I still bother to read this thread.

So much useless garbage.

Because it is the best of the best of the best and it is simple sublime :wink: please don't get upset, I of course is just kidding.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #5,616 of 9,040
Since we have a few discussion on the modding in the last page or so, let me chime in with my experience. I have the AK240SS for almost one and a half year, and I also own the AK380CU for about four months. So I have the opportunity to compare very closely side by side and AB the two Daps and in some instances track for track and notes for notes. First of all they are very different daps with different sound signature. Before I own the 380 I told myself I don't need the 380 because it is a sidegrade and not an upgrade and I was very very happy with my SS. I really enjoy the SS's crisp, clean, fast, neutral signature. So much so that after I bought the 380CU I still don't want to let go of the SS. After I own the 380CU for awhile, I became familiar with the CU, and yes the CU's signature is more spacious, warmer, a little rounder, better bass and I enjoyed these features a lot.

Then in my search to always find a way to improve things better, I sent my SS in for the RW mod and I received the RWAK 240SS back for couple of weeks now. I burn in the caps for about 50 hours or so. Guess what, upon listening to the modded SS, I felt like I have lost my 240SS. The sparkle is gone. Yes, everything they said on the website is true., there is more bass, tighter bass, seem like the mid and the high is smoother also, but what makes me like about the240SS is gone. The sparkle, the slightly bright but extremely clean signature is changed to a warmer, smoother, with snappier bass signature. You can say it is an up grade but I find myself missing the old signature also. It is like everything in audio, if you like the Stax 009 you have to accept the thin bass also because once you add the bass to it, you may loose that fine quality. Or the difference between JH13 and JH16. It is still a very very good dap but I wasn't sure if I want to loose that signature. Now I felt like I have a great dap (RWAK240SS) and I have an upgraded dap (380cu) of the same signature. Originally I was going to send in my CU after my RW SS is done. Now I am not sure at all. I enjoy my CU now, I of course want to improve it further but I worry it may change the signature that I like. With the added bass on my 240, I also felt like the airiness is reduced. At least that is my impression now, I will updated if there is any revision in the future.

By the way, I did some hard comparison between the RWAK240ss and my 380CU in the bass department using the same song and only switching my balance Therium/U12 between the two players back and forth a few times. Yes, the RW240 did have a significant improvement in the bass department but it is still ever so slightly not quite at the level of the cu. The fact that it is approaching the level of the CU is a strong statement of what the mod can do,and for those people that think the 240 is a little dry and bass thin and do not care about changing the unique signature of the 240, the RW mod is a great way to go. I would like to have someone that did the RW mod on their CU share their impression. Did they feel like it was an Improvement without altering the original signature? If so what was improved?

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #5,617 of 9,040
if the AK380Cu is the best of the best of the best and is simple sublime, then... what the RWAK380cu will be ???   
blink.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #5,618 of 9,040
mmm.....just a side note: I did query about RWAKing my AK 240 but I wanted new, original, factory spec'd.  batteries (since mine does not hold as much charge anymore). The added mod expense, which is considerable,  with the same old battery life  did not make sense for me. I tried AK/iRiver  and was told that  the battery was not available for sale. So, I aborted the plan.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #5,619 of 9,040
Does anyone know the answer to my amp question? Which amp and how many does the AK380 use and same question for the amp attachment.

Dillon, it all depends on what you want, if you are only using iems, I really feel you don't need the cu amp. Sure, the amp may add a little more but not necessary in my view. However if you also want to use full size phones, then that depends on the phones you want to use. Certain easy to drive phone is ok with the cu amp, but hard to drive phones like the LCD series, HD800/800s, Hifiman etc will require better external amping. The CDM or the WA8 are great external amps.

If the CU amp can meet you need, it is the best match with your 380CU in terms of practicality, aesthetic. Sometimes I want to buy the CU amp just for the fun of it because it matches so nicely. For my personal preference, I like to pair the CU with my Hugo. It does not match physically with the 380 as nicely as the CU amp but I love the sound.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #5,620 of 9,040
Dillon, it all depends on what you want, if you are only using iems, I really feel you don't need the cu amp. Sure, the amp may add a little more but not necessary in my view. However if you also want to use full size phones, then that depends on the phones you want to use. Certain easy to drive phone is ok with the cu amp, but hard to drive phones like the LCD series, HD800/800s, Hifiman etc will require better external amping. The CDM or the WA8 are great external amps.

If the CU amp can meet you need, it is the best match with your 380CU in terms of practicality, aesthetic. Sometimes I want to buy the CU amp just for the fun of it because it matches so nicely. For my personal preference, I like to pair the CU with my Hugo. It does not match physically with the 380 as nicely as the CU amp but I love the sound.

Thanks. I'm thinking about getting the dock and using xlr to pair it with a really nice headphone amp and just using the ak as a DAC/source. For IEMs I can use the 380 and for hard to drive headphones I'll use the amp connected to the dock

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #5,621 of 9,040
By the way Overkill Red on the 240SS thread just completed a true-to-his-name "Overkill" Masashi Music Technology mod on his 240SS. Guys, it is a $1000.00 mod, if you go to the web, they change the crystal clock, caps and everything. Overkill states that the mod sounds better than the black 380 which I find it hard to believe. Wanted to hear this mod badly. Go to the 240SS thread to check it out.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #5,622 of 9,040
Thanks. I'm thinking about getting the dock and using xlr to pair it with a really nice headphone amp and just using the ak as a DAC/source. For IEMs I can use the 380 and for hard to drive headphones I'll use the amp connected to the dock
that will work, good luck.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5,624 of 9,040
  if the AK380Cu is the best of the best of the best and is simple sublime, then... what the RWAK380cu will be ???   
blink.gif

I've just got an AK320 which sounds great to me.

I was just wondering, can I tell people I have "the best" player, given that "the AK380Cu is the best of the best of the best"

I'd also like to say it sounds "sublime" but I'm not sure if that is allowed.

I do appreciate that it is important to get our relative positions correct, and I don't want to embarrass myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back