Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 21, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #5,596 of 9,041

Noticeably? Two persons and I didn't hearing a difference in SQ between the ak380 Cu and ak240 standard, and I was 10 days comparing (the other two persons comparing only two times). "Noticeably" for me is mean that the people can hearing the SQ difference immediately and easily. We didn't hearing a difference and we don't think the ak380 Cu is better than ak240 standard.

But you can't deny the fact that AK380 Cu is still the best DAP in the world. The best of the best of the best.

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #5,598 of 9,041

But you can't deny the fact that AK380 Cu is still the best DAP in the world. The best of the best of the best.

What is wrong with u man?!  Will u be putting "the best of the best" and "sublime. Simply sublime" as long as u'll justify price u paid for your 380Cu? Or somebody has to do it? Or all of us? 

So NO, it's not the best from the best from the best, out of the best, deal with it. There is  RWAK380Cu which is probably MUCH BETTER than your regular Cu so your gear is mediocre in SQ aspect. 

I think even AK320 is quite improvement from AK240. It's more dynamic, detailed, clear and has better separation to me. It's on both: 5way Ult and NT6 so i can hear a lot from these players. It's of course not night and day but these small things make the whole picture a bit better and i'm enjoing it a lot:] 

I'm waiting for something new to read here, not such a useless theory like quoted above...

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #5,599 of 9,041
  What is wrong with u man?!  Will u be putting "the best of the best" and "sublime. Simply sublime" as long as u'll justify price u paid for your 380Cu? Or somebody has to do it? Or all of us? 

So NO, it's not the best from the best from the best, out of the best, deal with it. There is  RWAK380Cu which is probably MUCH BETTER than your regular Cu so your gear is mediocre in SQ aspect. 

I think even AK320 is quite improvement from AK240. It's more dynamic, detailed, clear and has better separation to me. It's on both: 5way Ult and NT6 so i can hear a lot from these players. It's of course not night and day but these small things make the whole picture a bit better and i'm enjoing it a lot:] 

I'm waiting for something new to read here, not such a useless theory like quoted above...

The RWAK380Cu is something that is not authorised by Astell & Kern and is therefore not intended to be the best sound by AK itself. It may have improved the AK380Cu on one aspect but lose out on others.  In any case, it is no longer the stock unit - if discussions are based on modifications, there will be no end to it. Therefore, AK380Cu is still the best of the best players out there, from the viewpoint of a stock player, with no unauthorised modification. You can rewire everything in there and replace every chip and cap with the most expensive components on the market, but it simply isn't a comparable stock player anymore. So please join us in admitting the AK380Cu is simply the best player from stock in the world at this moment. You are welcome.

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #5,601 of 9,041
Is there a sound difference between the copper unit and the regular unit? Are the internal components different?

Well, most of my circle of peeps here can hear a difference between the normal, black and copper AK380. The components are the same, just a difference in the grounding potential resulting in that difference...

Then again, there are clearly are people who can't hear the difference between the 240, 320 and 380, so opinions do vary. I however do admit feeling envious of them, since they wont have to live with their gear while remembering how much better another player sounds like....

Edit: I'm not sure if the copper uses the exact same components, since I've yet to see someone strip their AK380 CU before. When I do send my 380 CU for modding tho, I guess then that is when we will finally know for certain. If the parts aren't the sane, AK has some explaining to do lol....

The RWAK380Cu is something that is not authorised by Astell & Kern and is therefore not intended to be the best sound by AK itself. It may have improved the AK380Cu on one aspect but lose out on others.  In any case, it is no longer the stock unit - if discussions are based on modifications, there will be no end to it. Therefore, AK380Cu is still the best of the best players out there, from the viewpoint of a stock player, with no unauthorised modification. You can rewire everything in there and replace every chip and cap with the most expensive components on the market, but it simply isn't a comparable stock player anymore. So please join us in admitting the AK380Cu is simply the best player from stock in the world at this moment. You are welcome.

"It WILL have improved the AK380Cu on one aspect WITHOUT losing out on others." There , changed it for ya.

The AK380 has quite alot of modding potential; changing the clocks for one, using better wire, changing the caps, using a better solder...you can do quite a lot as a consumer modder which is simply unfeasible on the level of manufacturer. 

All these changes can only improve it. I dont see how it can possibly make it worse. You get a better clock, stable current and so on...

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #5,602 of 9,041

who cares it's not stock...? RWAK380Cu is MUCH BETTER and this is THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST, what i've heard of;]  
Human opinion is based from individual perspective so please stop being lika a child and quit persuading your once again. It was pointed out by U so many times it's just silly...

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #5,603 of 9,041
anyone actually upgraded from Onkyo DP-X1 to AK380 ? 

Any comments about this upgrade path ?

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #5,604 of 9,041
I think there is a little bit of a difference between the 380 black and RWAK240, the Black has a bit better bass and detail. However, if you already have a 240, specifically if you have an RWAK240, the difference is not enough that justifies the price tag.

I have not heard a CU, but it must be somehing special. I'd be interested to have a stock 380 and 380CU side by side and rip them open and compare the insides. Surely, the copper itself can't make that much of a difference?

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #5,605 of 9,041
I think there is a little bit of a difference between the 380 black and RWAK240, the Black has a bit better bass and detail. However, if you already have a 240, specifically if you have an RWAK240, the difference is not enough that justifies the price tag.

I have not heard a CU, but it must be somehing special. I'd be interested to have a stock 380 and 380CU side by side and rip them open and compare the insides. Surely, the copper itself can't make that much of a difference?

Nope the shielding itself can't make a difference. Your brain can though.

Jun 21, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #5,607 of 9,041
Ah here we go.....

Do you kind sir, own both? Or prehaps cared to AB both at the same time using the same tracks? 

They can sound different but not due to the shielding difference. If copper would be better here, you would hear less interference by your TV, mobile phone etc, not a rainbow difference in sound, sound stage etc. Everyone knows how interference sounds (mobile phone next to cheap PC speakers) but certainly not like better mids and more controlled bass. Even AK themselves say they sound the same.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #5,608 of 9,041

I can’t deny the fact that your posts are the best of the best of the best in head-fi. Sublime. Simply sublime.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #5,609 of 9,041
Yea everywhere I read say the components are the same. It might be a stretch to say copper sounds better lol

I think the 380 is terribly overpriced to the point they are taking advantage of people, but if we are dumb enough to buy it then thats our own faults lol

I just put my order in for mine and hope to see it in the next day or so. Will probably go the red wine route too eventually (will have to read more reviews and understand the warranty etc).

I'd like to see in AK's newest flagship (which I believe launches in 2017) - Class A amplification and better value for the dollar in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back