Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 28, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #3,226 of 9,041
mmm....I was careful. I avoided the ports, screen and volume knob.  The metal polish that I used is a mildly abrasive chemical. So, I only applied it on the problem area (with the hard to remove gunk) with a cotton bud.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,227 of 9,041
Will it remove the protective coating???
eek.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #3,229 of 9,041
  mmmm.......perhaps, perhaps not.  But, as I said, I'm OC so I risked it.  Cleaning all my gadgets with an alcohol solution is a daily ritual.  

Hmm...  maybe addicted to alcohol vapours
tongue.gif

Anyway back to reality -which firmware comes preinstalled?

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #3,232 of 9,041
  mmm......stock firmware on the cu: 1.19.

could it be that the sound difference between the copper and regular ak is due to different firmwares

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #3,234 of 9,041
  mmm.......I'm OC. How do you clean cu (copper)? Here's what I found out:

The Copper Cleaning Process:

1. Fill pot with water.

2. Add salt and vinegar.

3. place the Copper (cu??) in the cleaning solution.

4. bring the solution to boiling

5. leve it for several hours.

6. Wash with liquid dish soap, rinse and dry.

MMMM......do you think this will work? Help!

Raypin,

I use steamed water and a very soft cotton cloth.  Steamed water has all heavy minerals removed and leaves no residue whatsoever!  I use steamed water to clean all my equipment perfectly each and every time.  All fingerprints and oils are easily removed.  NO CHEMICALS and a gallon bottle is inexpensive will last you a long time

Sincerely,
-Speed

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #3,235 of 9,041
There are some dirty spots just above the skip buttons on mine, I use an eraser and it came off after a few rubs.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #3,236 of 9,041
really curious what the next firmware upgrade will bring to the table, and why is the copper version on firmware 1.19 while regular is on 1.18

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #3,237 of 9,041
Having owned AK240, own the ZX2 (two units), Hugo, K10, extensively auditioned the AK380 (steeped for the 320 instead). So that makes almost everything that you've mentioned.
So here is my two cents.
The ZX2 when compared to the AK240 Gold unit that I used to have; the ZX2 was to my ears, the better player. It had more tonal density with more macro detail and macro dynamics.
The 240 sounds more empty and not so 'filled' with lesser tonal density so it sounds more clinical and analytical. Instrument separation and micro detail is better. I still remember running the classical DSD's that came stock with the AK240, and wow. That was something else.
If you're listening to classical or DSD alot with balanced IEMs, then the 240 is your better bet. Other than that, the ZX2 has it for me on all other fronts (did I mention battery life is outstanding, oh and the bass... That was compelling.)

The 380 tho, ultra resolution with higher tonal density than the AK240, making the AK240 sound somewhat thin. Has more transparency and clarity than the ZX2 due to the ZX2 having a more 'smoky' analogue sound to it. Is the 380 better sounding than the ZX2? Yes. Does it justify the price increase? No. The AK380 is to my ears the best player out there right now. But it doesn't justify the price jump from the ZX2 for me.
Hope that helps!
Sorry if there are any typos. Sent from my iPhone.

But does the source make a difference? If i used CD rips I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 3?

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #3,238 of 9,041
My regular version is 1.19 (update showed up on the unit when I checked for updates)
really curious what the next firmware upgrade will bring to the table, and why is the copper version on firmware 1.19 while regular is on 1.18

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #3,239 of 9,041
  My regular version is 1.19 (update showed up on the unit when I checked for updates)

i am sorry i was mistaken i thought mine was on 1.18 but apparently its 1.19

so many gears so many firmwares got me mixed 

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #3,240 of 9,041
Aside from cleaning, anyone know how to polish or buff out very minor dings or scratches on the AK380, they are just tiny white spots that makes my DAP no longer looks completely meteoric titan (the official name of the colour), I presume they are very minor scratches / dings. AK told me no polishing service, only exchange program at a cost, and coming from owning several timepieces (all can be polished at a fee) this is concerning. 

I also have a slight horizontal mark that led to the discoloration / interruption of the vertical brushed finish on my amp .... dunno how to deal with that either. I mean it is obvious from AK's website that they use specialized equipment to get that particular brushed / satin finish on the amp and if I take something like a Cape Cod polishing cloth and run it over the finish will be erratic and not consistent. 
frown.gif

I guess these wear and tear are to be expected from daily use of the DAP no matter how careful one is ... but I'm finding it somehow harder to live with these flaws on my 380 / amp than watches that cost more than them .... guess it just looks so perfect when freshly unboxed. And yes I"m OCD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back