Astell&Kern AK380
Jan 25, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #3,182 of 9,041
Not to disappoint you but I still feel the ak380 amp does not drive the oppo pm1 well, as I have the ak380 and ak380 amp and the oppo pm1, compared to the alo mk3 b amp
When you get a chance can you give me more of your thoughts with this combo? I find it already has enough drive with then the 380 alone Im just getting it for SQ Change? Will it change the SQ? With The AK AMP. I'm also running Silver Dragon V3 Headphone Cable from Moon-Audio , single ended though, If that makes any difference as well.
Mike

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #3,183 of 9,041
You can't help but wonder if AK actually tweaked the sound of the 380cu digitally....

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #3,187 of 9,041
By comparison how well does Mojo drive pm1

in my honest opinion far better than the ak380 amp, much better

i still feel the ak380 and amp are just for iems

also i tried the audeze lcd2 with ak380 and amp and the results were also poor

maybe in the future ak will release a better amp 

if you think about pairing the ak380 with mojo be aware you will have no eq

to be honest i would suggest you go      android--- mojo--- oppo pm1 if you really want to enjoy the oppo pm1

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #3,188 of 9,041
in my honest opinion far better than the ak380 amp, much better

i still feel the ak380 and amp are just for iems

also i tried the audeze lcd2 with ak380 and amp and the results were also poor

maybe in the future ak will release a better amp 

if you think about pairing the ak380 with mojo be aware you will have no eq

to be honest i would suggest you go      android--- mojo--- oppo pm1 if you really want to enjoy the oppo pm1
don't mean to bother you again. But like I said can you explain why you don't like 380 with the AK AMP and PM-1? Thanks again. I will give a impression once I get mines on Friday as well.Also wanted to add I never used my EQ. I think it sounds much better off.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #3,189 of 9,041
don't mean to bother you again. But like I said can you explain why you don't like 380 with the AK AMP and PM-1? Thanks again. I will give a impression once I get mines on Friday as well.Also wanted to add I never used my EQ. I think it sounds much better off.

well simply to my ears i feel that combo is not giving the oppo pm1 its full potential power wise, and as such the bass response is lacking and its kinda a dull sound. 

Compared to android--- mojo  which really sounds much better and the tonality is more full and layered and much much better bass response

now for me to get the best of oppo pm1 i use also an amp with the mojo, it really takes the pm1 to another level

my setup for pm1 is

android--- mojo---- alo mk3 B--- oppo pm1

it really makes the oppo pm1 sound like no other headphone I heard, taking in account i audtioned the hifiman he1000, lcd4, lcd3 and it lead me to sell my audeze lcd2 immediatley

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #3,190 of 9,041
well simply to my ears i feel that combo is not giving the oppo pm1 its full potential power wise, and as such the bass response is lacking and its kinda a dull sound. 

Compared to android--- mojo  which really sounds much better and the tonality is more full and layered and much much better bass response

now for me to get the best of oppo pm1 i use also an amp with the mojo, it really takes the pm1 to another level

my setup for pm1 is

android--- mojo---- alo mk3 B--- oppo pm1

it really makes the oppo pm1 sound like no other headphone I heard, taking in account i audtioned the hifiman he1000, lcd4, lcd3 and it lead me to sell my audeze lcd2 immediatley
Thanks for your respond back. I'm still giving it a go. Everyone has their own different likes. Haven't said that I respect your opinion. I will give you mines come Friday or Saturday. I just don't want the bulky stack that's all. Still looking forward to getting the AK AMP! Everyone has their own taste in music & and combo sets. For me I'm also running the Silver Dragon V3 Headphone Cable as well from Moon-Audio
Mike

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #3,191 of 9,041
None of this is official and no there is no hard evidence to substantiate but in a shop yesterday at least two persons (the shop keeper and a veteran customer) indicated that they have asked Alex An about the AK380 Copper Amp and the answer was there won't be one. I asked why and they said since AK380 Cu is only limited to 500 units it is difficult to estimate just how many Copper amps they will have to make (taking into account defective units and future exchanges under warranty), as such AK simply doesn't want to bother to make this accessory for a limited quantity item.

I further questioned that given AK380 Copper is currently the highest tier in their lineup, why would they neglect their most loyal (and richest) customers by not making an amp for it in that specific material and they simply answered that the Ak380 Cu is 'good enough' on its own and doesn't need the amp -__-

Well this is just one more piece of unofficial information and hey it's AK, never say never. Just wanted to share. 

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #3,193 of 9,041
Anybody have any thoughts on how I might obtain one of those Vannuys cases for AK380 + AK AMP without visiting Japan? 

I'll actually be in the airport but I don't think any are sold there :wink:

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #3,194 of 9,041
  Anybody have any thoughts on how I might obtain one of those Vannuys cases for AK380 + AK AMP without visiting Japan? 

I'll actually be in the airport but I don't think any are sold there :wink:

It is available on amazon jp... Just use any Japanese mail forwarder to send it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back