1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Astell&Kern AK380

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Dopaminer, Apr 22, 2015.
First

Back
125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134
136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145
Next

Last
  1. The New Black
    Where did you hear that? Was that a review somewhere or a friend that has one?

2. neuron
    I heard it from a dealer. However, I have yet to try it myself. I won't buy until I have tested it myself.

3. Juan Virgo

Did you work in AK ?

Very strange... the Hugo specs are much higher then AK380... SNR 140dB in Hugo vs 116dB in AK380 for example...
    All the speculations about a much (!!!) "wider soundstage" and "greater clarity" in this level of (portable) sound is such a Bu*7*^876...

Just a new toy syndr[​IMG]me..

More then that, the Hugo is 5v RMS and a current of 0.5A RMS, that is powerful then a 380 dedicated amp...

4. neuron
    I don't work for AK, and have no tie at all with AK​

I love my Hugo setup with a Asus notebook running JRiver software. It is a big setup but I absolutely love the sound quality.

I have tried the AK240 as a standalone, and it didn't impress me at all compared to my big Hugo setup.

It all  changed when I tried the AK380. For example, when I listened to the track "Thriller" by Michaael Jackson on DSD, I noticed that the sound of the doors opening in the beginning are much wider, and clearer compared to the Hugo driven by Asus and Jriver. At first, I thought it was due to Hugo not able to play DSD natively. However, upon closer listening, it applies to non-DSD music too. When I play music with lots of low frequency, I am able to hear other instruments clearer with the AK380.

This is just my listening observations.

5. MacedonianHero Contributor

So is Amarra. [​IMG] Both are slightly different...but I prefer the more natural Amarra 3.0.

6. Juan Virgo

Wide and clear doors opening sound ....
    I usually made a test using bells, piano, clavier , voices... will try the doors now. This album sounds amazing.

Actually, I also didn't like the Hugo by USB sound...
    The liquid 3D Hugo signature I only can find via optical input, Coax is also fine.
    The direct sound from AK's , is much lovely then HUgo-USB .

But AK, using as a pc dac, also gives mediocre sound (100/120/240)

How is 380 as a strictly DAC ?

7. sathyam
    I just ordered the AK380 Amp module. I should get it on Tuesday.

8. bmichels

Good, we will finally be able to know if this Amp module is powerful enough or not.

The New Black likes this.
  9. onlychild

Which headphones/IEMs are you going to use with it?

10. sathyam

Layla, TH-900, and AKT5p, AKG 3003

11. AnakChan Moderator

Please respect other member's opinions.

12. mathi8vadhanan
    Not really. AK380 amp module is,
    1. 8.1 VRMS high-gain balanced output
    2. 4.1 VRMS unbalanced output

At $699, it's still in the price range of most portable balanced amps.

13. goodvibes
    Don't know about better or worse but I'd be very surprised if they didn't sound different. FW differences should be audible via a DAC as those changes are before dig out so completely different units should have something unique about them.

14. HiFiGuy528
    I'm looking forward to getting my paws on the 380 AMP to drive my Abyss headphones.

IMG_2995.jpg

15. Toom

That's looks like a nice cheap low-profile rig for mowing the lawn or on the bus. I might get them as well, and a couple of spares of each.

First

Back
125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134
136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145
Next

Last