Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Apr 3, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #692 of 767
It does work, just google on it, ak even has a stripped down version called ak10 without the display en memory advertising to use it with smartphones!
I want to use it with youtube movies or tunein radio on the phone or tablet
Just my Ak120 wont work

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #695 of 767
The AK120 works as a standard windows dac device without needing special drivers just like the other stand alone dacs which ppl here are enjoying see this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/6525

This thread is general for ppl using all kinds of dacs. But here ppl own a ak120 im sure more ppl tried it.
Theres just going something wrong during the switch to dac while connected to the phone.

Apr 5, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #696 of 767
  Does anybody know how to lock AK120 to use "line out" with the max volume all the time? Even though I turn on "the line out option," it is gone when the unit shuts down.
Since I use a headphone amp with AK120, I always use "line out." It is annoying to set the option every time. 

If you always want to use the line out, just turn the volume wheel up to max and leave it there.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #698 of 767
It's not DAC out though is it? Eg. Lo on an ak is still via the amp section?

That's the point of Red Wine mod S & B on the AKs, to effectively bypass the internal amp and have a true LO.

Here're some relevant quotes of RWA :

"The stock AK120 uses two Wolfson WM8740 dacs configured in “software mode.” This means that the AK120 software configures the dacs and allows for a digital volume control of the unit. We discovered that even with the volume set to MAX (setting 75), the output voltage of the WM8740 signal is still attenuated in the digital domain."

and

"The RWAK120-S modification also hardwires the analog line-output stage following the WM8741 directly to the headphone output jack. Therefore, the headphone output stage is completely bypassed and the headphone output jack is converted to a true, 2Vrms line-output."

I happily replaced my AK100II with a RWAK120-B, partly because of that.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #700 of 767
  Does the AK120 EQ works on Line Out? I would like to boost the bass of my speakers via the LO through to my speaker amp.

Yes. It does. It appears that Line Out of AK120 EQ is just setting the volume to the max of 75 and keeping it at the max.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #701 of 767
I tried couple of portable headphone amps with AK120. My cans are DT1350, which has 80 ohm of impedance.  There is some benefit through the amps.  I can hear more punches.  But the sound directly from AK120 is the most clear.  Now I am back to AK120 + DT1350 and no others, as like my profile picture :wink: 

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #702 of 767
Vi Thuy da dat nhieu thanh tuu quan trong trong cong tac xay dung Dang cung nhu chien luoc phat trien kinh te - xa hoi trong nam 2016. Truoc them Xuan Dinh Dau 2017. Nam 2016, tinh hinh kinh te ca nuoc tiep tuc doi mat voi nhung kho khan va thach thuc, nhu: bien doi khi hau, xam nhap man, dich benh tren cay trong, vat nuoi dien bien kho luong, trat tu an toan xa hoi co luc, co noi dien bien phuc tap… Tuy nhien, nho su doan ket trong toan Dang va toan dan chung suc, chung long, tap the Ban Thuong vu Huyen uy Vi Thuy tap trung lanh dao, chi dao khac phuc kho khan, phat huy noi luc, trien khai dong bo cac giai phap thuc hien hoan thanh cac muc tieu, chi tieu nhiem vu phat trien kinh te, van hoa - xa hoi, quoc phong - an ninh, xay dung Dang, chinh quyen, Mat tran To quoc va cac doan the.

Co the noi thanh tuu nam 2016 cua huyen Vi Thuy gan lien voi tinh than doan ket, quyet tam cao trong Dang bo, chinh quyen, dong thuan cua nhan dan va dac biet la su quan tam lanh dao, chi dao sau sat cua Tinh uy. Huyen Vi Thuy xac dinh dung dinh huong quy hoach phat trien kinh te - xa hoi phu hop voi thuc trang va tiem nang cua tung vung, tung khu vuc nham tao su chuyen bien tich cuc trong chien luoc phat trien kinh te - xa hoi. Tu do, gop phan tao su chuyen bien tich cuc ve tang truong kinh te, chuyen dich co cau kinh te theo huong cong nghiep hoa, hien dai hoa nong nghiep, nong thon, doi song nhan dan duoc cai thien mot buoc dang ke.

Huyen Vi Thuy dang tap trung chi dao thuc hien co hieu qua ke hoach cua Huyen uy ve nang cao chat luong sinh hoat chi bo, cap uy gan voi nang cao nang luc hanh dong cua doi ngu can bo, dang vien, hoan thien mo hinh chi bo co quan xa tai 10/10 xa, thi tran; tiep tuc chi dao duy tri nghiem che do sinh hoat chi bo, sinh hoat cap uy theo quy dinh; noi dung sinh hoat co nhieu doi moi.

I. Dich Vu Internet FPT Vi Thuy.

Voi su co gang cua toan the nguoi dan va chinh quyen huyen Vi Thuy. Muc song, thu nhap nguoi dan ngay mot hoan thien hon. Nhu cau su dung dich vu vien thong ngay mot cao hon. Cong ty fpt telecom da dau tu mot so tuyen cap quang phuc vu viec lap mang fpt vi thuy cho khach hang.

cac nha mang vien thong, dien luc da nang cap ha tang de cung cap dich vu internet va truyen hinh tai thi tran Nang Mau, huyen Vi Thuy kem theo cac chuong trinh khuyen mai va dieu kien uu dai hap dan cho khach hang muon trai nghiem mang internet fpt hậu giang va truyen hinh tot nhat. Hotline muon lap dat mang internet FPT thi tran Nang Mau gia re 0971.620.836 de duoc tu van cac goi cuoc va chuong trinh khuyen mai hap dan ma FPT telecom dang ap dung tai thi tran Nang Mau tai Hau Giang.
website tham khảo: http://www.internetvietnam.net/

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #703 of 767
So I have an AK120 with a hiss in the left channel, has anyone had this?

Is it worth me trying to roll back firmware to see if that resolves it or is this more than likely hardware?

Thanks guys.

Scott

Also, which firmware are most people happy with?

May 6, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #705 of 767
@elchaka As far as I know the Titan has 128g onboard memory and scratch resistant metal body. The DAC's are the same so the sound should be also.

The LIMITED EDITION Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN Dual-DAC Mastering Quality Sound Portable System is the same AK120 Dual-DAC player you know and love, but we coated it 5 times a scratch resistant hardened anodized coating that gives a silver look!

The Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN integrates two (2) Wolfson WM8740 24bit/192kHz DAC, maximizing the Dual-Mono system to completely separate and isolate the left & right audio channels. The AK120 TITAN still delivers a more realistic audio experience, with the same broader dynamic range and wider soundstage found on its twin, the AK120.

Store even more music than the AK120 with 128GB of internal memory and same dual MicroSD memory card slots supporting up to 64GB of memory in each slot. Store up to 256GB of hi-res audio with the AK120 TITAN! Playback any audio format, including 32bit float type WAV and DSD64, and the AK120 plays it back in bit-to-bit high-resolution audio!

The S-PDIF & USB external DAC functions provide greater audio flexibility for the AK120 TITAN. The AK120 TITAN also includes a black genuine leather case from Buttero!

Technical Specs
Dimensions: 2.3" x 3.5" x 0.6" (in)
Weight: 5oz
DAC: Dual Wolfson WM8740 (24bit/192kHz)
Display: 2.4" IPS Touchscreen (320x240)
Memory: 124GB Internal / Dual MicroSD card slots (64GB each)
Audio Formats: WAV/FLAC/MP3/OGG/WMV/APE/AAC/AIFF/ALAC/DSD64 (.DFF & .DSF)
Output Level: 1.5Vrms
THD+N: < 0.0008%/1kHz
SNR: 113 dB
FR: ± 0.02 dB(20Hz ~ 20kHz)
Jitter: 50 PS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back