Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Sep 16, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #601 of 767
  yeap, i"m agree with you. 1.32 is more sweeter. but i prefered 1.40 for allround...imho

Sorry guys, but I can't really understand '' sweeter'', '' polite '' etc , can you please tell me which firmware is warmer and which one is brighter ? I'm receiving the AK120 tomorrow , and I need the sound quality to be on par with my ZX1, so I need the brighter one.  Thanks in advance

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #602 of 767
Sorry guys, but I can't really understand '' sweeter'', '' polite '' etc , can you please tell me which firmware is warmer and which one is brighter ? I'm receiving the AK120 tomorrow , and I need the sound quality to be on par with my ZX1, so I need the brighter one.  Thanks in advance

Probably the newer one is brighter. Or the second newest one.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #603 of 767
I bought one of these in a bundle recently - soundwise its great, but Its been having some problems with my 128gb SD card. Every so often it seems to lose connection to the card and can't find any songs. I restart it and its ok until the next time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing the problems? 

The official specs state 64gb max ! You're forcing it to accept 128gb , maybe there's a stability issue with it

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #604 of 767
The official specs state 64gb max ! You're forcing it to accept 128gb , maybe there's a stability issue with it

Possible I guess but that said it loses the 64gb card too sometimes. Both are Fat32 from when I used them in fiio x3 (with no problems) so maybe thats part of the problem. I'm going to reformat and try with exfat

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #607 of 767
Nah the X5 firmware is better overal IMO. :p. Still the firmware on AK120 is quite useable and not much to complain about.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #608 of 767
IMO the FW on AK240/120II/100II are really almost perfect amongst all DAP manufacturers in the world today. The FW of AK120 is a bit lacking, but is still quite smooth and usable.

For the latest 1.40, I found my AK120 will sometimes auto scan after boot up, although I haven't add/remove any songs inside it. I disabled the auto scan function and now it's working fine again.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #609 of 767
  IMO the FW on AK240/120II/100II are really almost perfect amongst all DAP manufacturers in the world today. The FW of AK120 is a bit lacking, but is still quite smooth and usable.

For the latest 1.40, I found my AK120 will sometimes auto scan after boot up, although I haven't add/remove any songs inside it. I disabled the auto scan function and now it's working fine again.

Couldn't agree more! The AK240/120II/100II FW is just simply amazing! With the sync-able bluetooth, wi-fi music streaming, volume slider and so on. No other firmwares can beat this yet :wink:

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #610 of 767
Got my AK120 a few weeks ago and still finding things that make me scratch my head.

- Funky oder of artists (Z, A, B, ...) has already been mentioned months ago
- Broken names and titles in artist view (not when browsing folders): if the string contains special characters, the following character is missing. This has also already been reported
- DSF files from bluecoastrecords are distorted and clipped. Clipping in DSD material has also been reported in this thread. I used DSDMaster to convert them into 192/24 ALACs. interestingly, DSDMaster corrected the gain by approx. 6dB and the clipping is gone now
- Still, those 192/24 files are shown as 192/16 in the AK120!
- Tried to feed the line-out into the line-in of my old & trusty Pioneer 757MkII but the signal is far too weak...

On the good side, the battery seems to be in good shape, even after sitting in the shelf for more than a year. Got at least 13h of playback at volume 25 and screen off.

Oh, I almost forgot that it still sounds great with the Stagediver SD-3 IEM.

Cheers,
Torsten

*edit* I finally figured out how the line out works :)

Sep 30, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #611 of 767
I'm still loving mine... Been about a month or so. Definitely a solid purchase. Battery life is not too good on mine, but I'm always playing music louder than I should... and I have a Rwak120b. Doesn't matter much though, I have access to power if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back