Astell & Kern AK120 impression thread
Mar 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #572 of 767
Further to what Kojaku and I were asking, has anyone here successfully added cover art to DSF files and had it show up on the AK120? If so would you mind explaining your methods? Cheers

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #573 of 767
  Further to what Kojaku and I were asking, has anyone here successfully added cover art to DSF files and had it show up on the AK120? If so would you mind explaining your methods? Cheers

It isn't great for PCM files either. The file HAS to be SMALLER than 500 x 500. I wish they had automatic resizing, like every other player on the market. They should make a deal with Poweramp or some other player to help design an implement a better UI xS

Kojaku

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #574 of 767
So I've been trying to get the AK120 to work as a USB dac on my Razer Blade 14. It recognizes the player in DAC mode, but no sound comes out...I head that 64-bit windows with USB 3.0 doesn't work, but those are my only options as my computer doesn't have any USB 2.0 ports...Does anybody know how I can rectify this issue, or whether iriver is planning to fix this? I sent them an email already and got NO response...

Kojaku

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #575 of 767
  So I've been trying to get the AK120 to work as a USB dac on my Razer Blade 14. It recognizes the player in DAC mode, but no sound comes out...I head that 64-bit windows with USB 3.0 doesn't work, but those are my only options as my computer doesn't have any USB 2.0 ports...Does anybody know how I can rectify this issue, or whether iriver is planning to fix this? I sent them an email already and got NO response...

Kojaku

I tried with no success.  It works fine using USB 2 on my old MBP but my new air is USB 3 only and it won't work using either OSX or Win7 
mad.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #577 of 767
Likely a Computer OS usb 3 to 2 driver issue. It's not uncommon.

I'm not so sure about this. The dac section of my intruder works just fine. I think it's a problem with the USB implementation on the AK120...

Kojaku

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #578 of 767
I'm planning on upgrading my ipod classic and so far have short listed the AK120, AK100 mk2 & Sony ZX1 in order of preference. I'm concerned about the ZX1's reported brightness because my iems have treble spikes so the AK's smoother sound signature would be suitable from what I've read. I might be able to get a used AK120 for the same price as a new AK100 mk2 so AK120 is on top of the list.

I've read this thread and I'm concerned that a headfier has commented that 320k mp3 does not sound good on the AK120. Does this apply to all 320k mp3 or only the ones that are poorly recorded? Does the AK120 reveal poorly produced mp3 and enhance well produced mp3?

Another headfier commented that the difference between mp3 and flac on the AK120 is only noticeable with critical listening so I'm not sure whose opinion is accurate.

I have a collection of mp3s and some 16/44 wav. I do not foresee the music that I listen to being released as highres in the near future but I can easily re-purchase the mp3s in wav 16/44 format. In this case is it worth investing in a quality DAP to upgrade what I have at the moment?

Also, iriver's site states that general warranty is 1 year and is non-transferable so if I purchase a used AK120 that becomes faulty I would be unable to claim a warranty repair. Apart from the firmware issues, is the player reliable?

Appreciate any feedback.

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #580 of 767
Well again with my AK120, music that i put in and played, came back later and it is gone, turned on and off, did scans.  Open the computer and see the music there when in removable disc mode and just have to drag it to the trash on the computer and erase it and then redownload it again.  Pain in the neck,glad I'm not out of town.  $1299. and this, go figure!

So while that is all downloading out i go with my CLAS-Ipod-Pico Power dependable rig.
cool.gif

Mar 30, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #581 of 767
I'm planning on upgrading my ipod classic and so far have short listed the AK120, AK100 mk2 & Sony ZX1 in order of preference. I'm concerned about the ZX1's reported brightness because my iems have treble spikes so the AK's smoother sound signature would be suitable from what I've read. I might be able to get a used AK120 for the same price as a new AK100 mk2 so AK120 is on top of the list.

I've read this thread and I'm concerned that a headfier has commented that 320k mp3 does not sound good on the AK120. Does this apply to all 320k mp3 or only the ones that are poorly recorded? Does the AK120 reveal poorly produced mp3 and enhance well produced mp3?

Another headfier commented that the difference between mp3 and flac on the AK120 is only noticeable with critical listening so I'm not sure whose opinion is accurate.

I have a collection of mp3s and some 16/44 wav. I do not foresee the music that I listen to being released as highres in the near future but I can easily re-purchase the mp3s in wav 16/44 format. In this case is it worth investing in a quality DAP to upgrade what I have at the moment?

Also, iriver's site states that general warranty is 1 year and is non-transferable so if I purchase a used AK120 that becomes faulty I would be unable to claim a warranty repair. Apart from the firmware issues, is the player reliable?

Appreciate any feedback.

My music collection is mostly 16/44 320kbps MP3s and FLAC, and I find that they sound great on the AK120 (paired with SE846).  I do think that 24bit files sound better, but by no means do 16/44 MP3s and FLAC sound bad (at least in my experience).  I also tested the AK100 (not MKII), and found that I preferred the AK120.  Compared against the F887 I also preferred the AK120, but unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to try the ZX1.

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #582 of 767
Received my AK120 today and also pairing it with the T5P's that I've had for some time.  Sounds great... I do think it sounds slightly bright, first impression. Wondering if the AK120 will indeed mellow some after some time. Still sounds much better than the FiiO X3 that I was using ( as it should )

Kleinstop 

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #584 of 767
Dear all,
I've some music that rip from SACD, in DSF format. Tried using Yate(mac osx) to tag and input album pictures(500x500 jpg) to the song, and Yate did recognised as each song cover album.
Unfortunately, while I copy all those DSF songs into AK120 but still no luck to show the album pics.
If anyone know how to let AK120 show cover album for song with DSF extension?
Really Thanks.
Patrick

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #585 of 767
Dear all,
I've some music that rip from SACD, in DSF format. Tried using Yate(mac osx) to tag and input album pictures(500x500 jpg) to the song, and Yate did recognised as each song cover album.
Unfortunately, while I copy all those DSF songs into AK120 but still no luck to show the album pics.
If anyone know how to let AK120 show cover album for song with DSF extension?
Really Thanks.
Patrick

Sorry Pat, the AK120 doesn't currently support DSF album art. Hopefully they'll add it in their upcoming firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back