Artists you didn't fully appreciate until you bought better audio gear?
Mar 18, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #31 of 67
I used to hate certain kinds of music, but now I find myself able to enjoy all music, even Britney Spears. Getting audio gear certainly improved SQ, but I found bypassing windows' DirectSound was the biggest factor in making all music euphonious to me, and that was a real turning point for me because I'd listened through DS most of my life. It's the same whether I'm using onboard realtek hd audio, claro halo sound card, or audio-gd compass (I sought out what I believed was the worst music to make sure of this). Using the ASIO plug-in for windows media player improved the sound so much I had to watch all the movies in my harddrive again.

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #32 of 67
With each upgrade to my system and my ability to listen, I find myself enjoying all types of music more. Having recently upgraded my headphones, I've been enjoying these artists more then ever:

Patricia Barber
Monika Stadler
Will Ackerman
Gypsy Kings

Mar 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #34 of 67
I think i now appreciate every kind of music more but if i had to big one band, so far it is The Receiving End Of Sirens..

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #36 of 67
Any 'King's Singers' fans out there? Boy do they shine on higher-end cans!

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #37 of 67
I was kind of meh towards the Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama CD until I got some high end 'phones. Gomez was one of my favorite bands prior to getting good 'phones, however their second album, liquid skin, returned to being one of my top 5 albums of all time when I re-listened to it with great headphones. Such a great headphone album.

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #38 of 67
Yes, King Singers have good history record and 'background staff' there, but sometimes they produce too much show-'popurries' too... There are other strong vocal singing groups like Take Six or Ensemble Clement Janequine too

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by split_brain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. Different types of headphones contribute to exploring other types of music I'd say. But it is still an analytical approach, and not focused on the spirit of the music. However, if you spend a long time with a particular genre the spirit will reveal itself.

I kind of agree, but at the same time disagree. Gear can completely change the emotion, presentation, and feel of music, There are moments when you body will react by sending chills down your spine or the hair on the back of your neck will stand up because something sounds so good and the system has an overall synergy. The listener can now hear the original content or emotion of the music like never before. I have heard some systems make me completely re-think how I understood a song or piece from an emotional and contextual perspective. Gear can be very emotional.

the problem is when people who have compulsive and Asperger like connection to hardware and the music takes a back seat to Technophelia, I call it Gearotica, All of a sudden sound no longer matters and it's all about FLPD (flashing lights per dollar) People drone over specs on paper when they have no idea how something actually sounds/ works, or how it could sound within the context of a good system. This is the main problem with many audiophiles. They forget that all of the tech specs, reviews, and engineering explanations are only half of the story, and should never get in the way of one's decision on buying or enjoying gear. The technology is a means to an end it isn't the end itself. The emotional connection we have with music is.

I remember discovering Jethro Tull for the first time because I heard it truly and more emotionally on my fathers high-end two channel system. They have become one of my favorite bands now and sometimes I come across systems that make me re-examine and re-discover them all over again. That is how gear should be. But that is just my opinion.

To the OP, I have re-discovered Porcupine Tree so many times over because of the layers of meaning and music that Steven Wilson creates. If there is a reason to own High-End audio PT is definately one of those bands you want to unravel all of the layers of with a good system. I recall listening to stupid dream the first time over and not liking it. then I got the DVD-A remaster and the album has become one of my favorites. That band's music + plus a truly good system is the one thing that gives me any hope for this industry that things can sound truly good.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tord Gustavsen Trio. I found their Scandinavian jazz boring until I could hear the incredible subtlety of their music with a gs solo amp and a vintage pair of dt990s. Now they're one of my favorites. On a related note, when I was looking for a new audio set, none of the sets under 3500 euros could equal the solo plus dt990 in playing the Tord Gustavsen Trio. Needless to say I never did buy a new audio set with new speakers. Just more headphones.

I'd never heard of the Tord Gustavsen Trio, and after reading your post I listened to the album Being There - Absolutely stunning stuff - I'm a convert -- Thank you!

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #41 of 67
Dream Theater for me.

Sounds so much better with decent equipment.
Also I've started to notice flaws in recordings noticeable more e.g. New Order's 'True Faith' = a lot of sibilance throughout the recording and it is the recording as I've tried different headphones and sources with the song.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #42 of 67
Definitely Pink Floyd I never understood their popularity hearing a few songs on the classic rock station but that all changed with good source and equipment.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #43 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by asher7323 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely Pink Floyd I never understood their popularity hearing a few songs on the classic rock station but that all changed with good source and equipment.

Same here with PF.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #44 of 67
I'd say I've had the exact opposite. I have some CDs that have bad sound. On good equipment, I hear the bad sound. On mid-fi, I hear good music. Same goes for vinyl. LPs that sound fine on my old MCS turntable I've owned for 35 years, sounds horrible on my newly restored Dual.

Listening with my orthos to a CD I just got today, I hear tape hiss. I wouldn't hear it on less resolving equipment. It's still great.

I also listen to historical classical recordings. A few of them are so bad with my most resolving headphones that they're unlistenable.

For me, music I like sounds good no matter how bad the equipment I listen with is. Good equipment can ruin it because it can reveal problems with the recording. The one caveat is that the amp must be able to drive the transducer. Severe clipping is not pleasant.

Music I don't like, won't sound good to me no matter how good the equipment is

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #45 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good equipment can ruin it because it can reveal problems with the recording.

This. My New Order example is this. Also tbh, I noticed the effect of the Loudness War is much more revealing on speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back