Artists you didn't fully appreciate until you bought better audio gear?
Mar 20, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #61 of 67
id have to agree on Spoon's Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and anything by the Tord Gustavson Trio. Amazingly recorded albums than sound sublime on good headphones.

Ever since i got my 650's, ive had a new found appreciation for cello music... something about these cans that recreate the beautiful timbre and tone of the cello.

I am in love with Rostropovich's Bach and Dvorak Cello Concertos, as well as Yoyo Ma's Ennio Morricone renditions. Awesome stuff.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #62 of 67
(Sting and) the Police, and Steely Dan. To my now analytical ears, these two bands gained the most appreciation. The first OutKast album also revealed itself to be superb in every way.

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #63 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In general, I agree with scompton that you either like music or you don't and that the sq is not of much importance in this. For me I've found there are two exceptions though.

Exceedingly complex music can sound digested and hence not very attractive on equipment that isn't up to it. With ibuds I wasn't able to appreciate classical music like Wagner's opera's because it sounded too congested. with a portable amp and good headphones, I did come to like it very much though.

The same goes, I found, for exceedingly detailed music, where most of the dynamics are hidden in subtle details. I needed the voyager amp and again a good set of headphones before being able to appreciate the subtleties of the jazz of Tord Gustavsen and his trio. On my ibuds, it sounded too flat and boring.

I realize, though, that people with a better sense for music will be able to hear straight through those limiting factors.

I'd agree with this to a certain extent, especially for something like iBuds but I only need to go up the line as far as the KSC75 or PX100 before I can enjoy almost any music. Good music is almost always more enjoyable though better equipment, but for me it's not a requirement for enjoyment.

Some music, I'll almost never listen to except though quality equipment. I'm thinking of some orchestral music with a huge dynamic range. I need a quiet environment to be able to hear the lows in the range, which means at home so there's no reason not to use quality equipment.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #65 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am way too obsessed with this album, but Spoon because of Ga ga ga ga ga. Amazing recording. In general, I really have a greater appreciation for any artist who cares about recording quality now that I have good phones.

You (tintin47) really turned me on to Antony and the Johnsons; talk about recording quality, I'm blown away every time I listen to them.

There are also several Musica Antiqua Koeln recordings that I liked but am floored when listening to with decent equipment. Especially the Telemann Flute Quartets.

Mar 23, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #66 of 67
AC/DC, Iron Maiden.

before it was too harsh to listen to such kind of artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back