Artists you didn't fully appreciate until you bought better audio gear?
Mar 19, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music I don't like, won't sound good to me no matter how good the equipment is

It's easy to say, however, it's important to remember that with bad enough equipment, there are many aspects of the music that in some cases can't even be heard. The details can be what makes a song great, and a decent setup is what lets you really hear those details.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #47 of 67
I can't say I've ever experienced it. It might be partly because I've always enjoyed a wide variety of musical genres.

Edit: I mean to say that I've never experienced liking something more because I got better equipment. With more revealing equipment I can hear nuances that I can't hear with lesser equipment.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #48 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's easy to say, however, it's important to remember that with bad enough equipment, there are many aspects of the music that in some cases can't even be heard. The details can be what makes a song great, and a decent setup is what lets you really hear those details.

Yep, I was thinking of this the other day listening to the new gui boratto album. I was thinking listening to this album on ibuds it wouldn't stand a chance. But with decent headphones it's amazing. I think this applies to a lot of minimal/tech house ...not to mention a ton of other genres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say I've ever experienced it. It might be partly because I've always enjoyed a wide variety of musical genres.

Listen to this with some ibuds and then switch to some decent headphones. Obviously the quality isn't great, but you get the idea.

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #49 of 67
I was editing while you posted

Quote:

I mean to say that I've never experienced liking something more because I got better equipment. With more revealing equipment I can hear nuances that I can't hear with lesser equipment.

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #51 of 67
you wrote:...'Music I don't like, won't sound good to me no matter how good the equipment is'...

for me sound and music are different things...same way, any sound i hear (let say on street) is not music

Or, for audio equipment listening-testing you can use music .

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #52 of 67
Let say, i'm recognizing, how one guy is listening with his earphones my favorite/loved music, may'be this sound what he hears with his earphones is super, but for me what i can hear from distance, is just terrible sound and my beloved music.

Ok, some people can say for music (maybe they never have heard before) 'It sounds good', but what they typically mean is '(Maybe) i like it'

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #53 of 67
This thread is about what music do you like more because of good equipment. I was using like and sounds good as essentially synonymous.

Earphones from a distance are always going to sound crappy and enjoyably because they're basically tweeters.

I still say for me that revealing equipment ruins some recordings while I can enjoy most of my music from something like a crappy boom box. It's not that I prefer a cappy boom box but if that's all that's available, I can still get into the music and not enjoy it any less than when I listen with my best equipment.

I'm not saying that some particularly bad equipment can't ruin some music. I have one pair of vintage headphones that don't produce sound below 200Hz. They're pretty much unlistenable except for a handful of my albums. I might not be a bass head, but you still need bass in most music.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #55 of 67
Ok ok ive never been much of a Beatles fan.... But wow, they sound awesome with my 780's....

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #58 of 67
In general, I agree with scompton that you either like music or you don't and that the sq is not of much importance in this. For me I've found there are two exceptions though.

Exceedingly complex music can sound digested and hence not very attractive on equipment that isn't up to it. With ibuds I wasn't able to appreciate classical music like Wagner's opera's because it sounded too congested. with a portable amp and good headphones, I did come to like it very much though.

The same goes, I found, for exceedingly detailed music, where most of the dynamics are hidden in subtle details. I needed the voyager amp and again a good set of headphones before being able to appreciate the subtleties of the jazz of Tord Gustavsen and his trio. On my ibuds, it sounded too flat and boring.

I realize, though, that people with a better sense for music will be able to hear straight through those limiting factors.

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #59 of 67
None. I do appreciate different remasters a lot more now though.

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #60 of 67
i suddenly have a new found liking for alice in chains

Users who are viewing this thread

Back