Artists you didn't fully appreciate until you bought better audio gear?
Mar 15, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #17 of 67
Stacey Kent with the K701
smily_headphones1.gif
Perfect match
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #21 of 67
There are so many but the stand out one is Susumu Yokota, so many subtle variations to his rhythms poor phones just don't pick up.

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #23 of 67
black sabbath. HATED them before, got my headphones and it came on while it was on shuffle. realised it was pretty good. listened to the entire best of album in one go, now its a new found favourite.
never noticed the subtleties in panic! at the disco either before decent headphones.
they have completely put me off amy winehouse though. sounds pretty awful through headphones.

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #24 of 67
you wrote: ...'I used to listen to the bands Genesis (1970-1977) and Yes, but not that much. When I got my first real headphones, Koss Portapros, I suddenly found a new appreciation for them.'...

That's interesting, first time i listened my favorite, still YES, when i was in secondary school. It was small mono cassete player and my classmate put on YES 'Close To The Edge', after few minutes i was literally blown away, there was only just music, no listener...and 'came back' when sound stopped.
Even younger, (when i was less than 7?) same thing happened, when i was listening Mozart from old type mono radio (you know, this with 'green eye'), same thing happened. (By the way i never have used drugs or alcohol)

So my starting point was strange under strange (audition) conditions.

But i'm absolutely convinced, that YES (and all other top groups with top sound-producers) demand absolutely best what you can use.

Under good listening conditions i can listen even jazz :wink:

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #25 of 67
Pretty much all jazz, classical, post-rock, and instrumental work.
Better separation of instruments and more accurate representation of horns, piano, etc make for a much more enjoyable listen.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #26 of 67
I guess the "wow" factor on many albums I didn't appreciate that much earlier really came when I upgraded to electrostatic headphones.

biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #27 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... But i'm absolutely convinced, that YES (and all other top groups with top sound-producers) demand absolutely best what you can use. ...

Dharma, don't know if you've heard the last studio project Yes put out in 2001, "Magnification". It has some great music with a symphony in the place of multi-keys. It has several true Yes-prog songs, and nice clean production.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #28 of 67
I appreciate all well-recorded music more with my high end cans, but I wouldn't say it has affected my taste. (Of course, there has not been a time in the last 30 years that I have been without an excellent stereo of some kind, so I may simply not remember what low-fi equipment sounds like!)

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #29 of 67
Yes, i have all YES cd's (some re-collections from non brand named record-companies not included), also you can find very good DVD's by YES!!!

About 'Magnification' CD:
Problem lies in this big (Belorussian origin) orchestra, there is used many mic's during recordings and later downmixes are not ideally done, if i use Denon or Sennheiser everithing is OK, but with K701 i can sometimes clearly hear and separate those 'recording layers' which are not synchronized on absolute way (now i'm too much critical).
'Magnification' video-DVD is super anyway.

'Magnification' show (in Estonia) was ok, but not comparable (much worse sound and too loud) with 'Open Your Eyes' show in Warfield Theatre (San Francisco).

YES, better to do (internet-) homework, before to choose place for YES show (and get to best listening place early enough).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back