Artists you didn't fully appreciate until you bought better audio gear?
Mar 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Oggranak

1000+ Head-Fier
I used to listen to the bands Genesis (1970-1977) and Yes, but not that much. When I got my first real headphones, Koss Portapros, I suddenly found a new appreciation for them. Without real audio equipment, I couldn't hear all the subtleties in their music, and as a result I didn't like them too much, so getting decent low-end headphones was really the difference between finding them OK and loving them. Did you find this with any bands/artists you listen to?

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 67
This should be in the music forum but I live and let live.

Yes, I listen to music that I hated as a kid. I listen to music I never heard before. I listen with joy at the performance of the gear.

My name is Happy Camper and I'm an audio-holic.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 67
Tord Gustavsen Trio. I found their Scandinavian jazz boring until I could hear the incredible subtlety of their music with a gs solo amp and a vintage pair of dt990s. Now they're one of my favorites. On a related note, when I was looking for a new audio set, none of the sets under 3500 euros could equal the solo plus dt990 in playing the Tord Gustavsen Trio. Needless to say I never did buy a new audio set with new speakers. Just more headphones.

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should be in the music forum but I live and let live.

Yes, I listen to music that I hated as a kid. I listen to music I never heard before. I listen with joy at the performance of the gear.

My name is Happy Camper and I'm an audio-holic.

I didn't realize there was a music forum.
redface.gif
Whoops.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 67
Awesome site for music leads, "best" polls, "top 5" of everything and "what's the name of" threads.

While down in the neighborhood, check out the meets forums and member's lounge. The F/S threads are another temptation worth looking into.

When you get to Supremus status, there is the Supremus lounge. (read- this is a snipe hunt)

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 67
REB, if you ever get a chance to see them live, do so; They are a great live act, I saw them a month ago and the 3 solo encores Tord Gustavsen did were breath taking. I would recomend the album "Evolution/Revolution" by Martin Bejerano. All I can say is it's incredeble.

Personally I never really heard the true greatness of "Pet Sounds" / "Sgt. Peppers" until I got a nice rig, but orchestral music is where I'm still searching to hear it as it should be heard. Growing up with Symphony Hall, it becomes hard to match that musical experience.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by FourierMakesFunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
REB, if you ever get a chance to see them live, do so; They are a great live act, I saw them a month ago and the 3 solo encores Tord Gustavsen did were breath taking. I would recomend the album "Evolution/Revolution" by Martin Bejerano. All I can say is it's incredeble.

Oh man, I envy you
biggrin.gif
. I'd love to see them. I'll try to find the album you recommended, thanks for that!
atsmile.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 67
When i purchased akg 701 and started to listen to them, found out female jazz vocals were absolutely incredible! Started to like Norah Jones and Dianna Krall. then i started looking at stereophiles records to die 4 listings and found Patricia Barber, basically anything she ever made soounds incredible!

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 67
Yep. Different types of headphones contribute to exploring other types of music I'd say. But it is still an analytical approach, and not focused on the spirit of the music. However, if you spend a long time with a particular genre the spirit will reveal itself.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 67
I am way too obsessed with this album, but Spoon because of Ga ga ga ga ga. Amazing recording. In general, I really have a greater appreciation for any artist who cares about recording quality now that I have good phones.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 67
I find I get a deeper experience of dirty three's music (such as horse stories) with good equipment. That's really just one off the top of my head. But the subtleties and layering are best appreciated live or with phones like the k701s (good dac and ss amp of course too).

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #13 of 67
I know I'll be shot for this, but I didn't really appreciate Radiohead before getting nicer gear. I liked them, but didn't listen to them nearly as much as I do now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back