Argh! Why cant I find the right headphones??
Sep 6, 2011 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
ergh! this is annoying me now! I have spent loads of time in the last week trying to find a set of headphones to suit me... They all seem to have one thing or another which is unnaceptable.... Can anyone make any other suggestions I might have missed?

Shure Srh840 - Good detail, good mids, scratchy treble, not enough bass...

AT m50 - In the post - maybe these will be ok but I cant help thinking that there must be better headphones out there in the £150-£250 range...

Denon D2000 - Look quite nice but the whole made in china, cables falling apart, screws falling out, build quality thing is unnaceptable for £220 imo.

Pioneer Djh2000 - Look good but the earpads look to shallow and small.

Sennheiser HD600 - anemic Bass, Sennheiser HD650 - too expensive :frowning2:

AKG 701 - Not enough bass?

Beyerdynamic 880 - not enough bass?

Argh! I just want some nice headphones with a good bass reponse! Help please!

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 35
Ahem, Ultrasone Pro 900.
L3000.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 35
Good are they?

Are ultrasone a good and reputable brand?

Also the pro 900 are more then the sennheiser HD650 :frowning2: are any of the other slightly cheaper ones any good?

PRO 650 or HIFI 2400 maybe?

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 35
what about a Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro? Have you looked into them?

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 35
In the span of 7 days you tried 7 headphones and are getting frustrated that you do not like how each of them sounded.

May I suggest you spend at least a week of solid listening to 1 headphone before making judgements.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 35
Looks like the recurring theme is not enough bass. Ultrasones would fix that.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
In the span of 7 days you tried 7 headphones and are getting frustrated that you do not like how each of them sounded.

May I suggest you spend at least a week of solid listening to 1 headphone before making judgements.

No I havnt actually tried all of those headphones.... Some of them look good but I decided not to order them due to problems like build quality, size etc...

Do the Beyers offer a big improvement over the M50's  and have good bass?

Thanks

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 35
What type of music do you listen to? If you listen to alot of electro type stuff with a heavy bass emphasis then ultrasone is your best option imo. I've owned the hfi-2400's and I would definately recommend them as a fun, colored and engaging headphone with a good amount of bass impact. But they are very dark and you may find the treble a little lacking.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 35

Quote:
What type of music do you listen to? If you listen to alot of electro type stuff with a heavy bass emphasis then ultrasone is your best option imo. I've owned the hfi-2400's and I would definately recommend them as a fun, colored and engaging headphone with a good amount of bass impact. But they are very dark and you may find the treble a little lacking.

Yes I definately like that kind of music but also I would like some phones that are good for relaxing classical type music as my HI FI speakers are very good for electronic music etc. but not so refined for classical music..... How are the ultrasones with this? Tbh I am not THAT worried about slightly recessed highs because tbh sibilant and over emphasised high end is very annoying imo.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 35
Heya,

All you had to do was search for `basshead' or `bass headphones' here, and you'd have had a list.

To summarize:

Sony XB500 ($50)
BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm
Ultrasone HFI 580 or DJ1($130)
Denon D2000 ($230~350)
Ultrasone PRO 900 ($350)

Should get you started.

Very best,

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 35
Well if you want to listen to some classical aswell I would recommend the hfi-2400s again since unlike those others they are open and I really love the way piano sounds on ultrasones. But don't just expect a little bit of a dip in the treble, they are very very dark. But this should balance out a bit after burn in.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #12 of 35

Quote:
Well if you want to listen to some classical aswell I would recommend the hfi-2400s again since unlike those others they are open and I really love the way piano sounds on ultrasones. But don't just expect a little bit of a dip in the treble, they are very very dark. But this should balance out a bit after burn in.

Cool do they have a good natural sound? With natural sounding "timbre" etc? Like grados?

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 35
From my memory yes, they had above average instrument separation, and notes hold alot of weight as on any ultrasones. Everything sounds authoritative & engaging, but the 2400's arn't incredibly detailed due to their lack of treble. Timbre wise they arn't to "natural", I would categorize them as metallic or electronic sounding, so accoustics & strings won't sound to impressive.

But this is part of why I think piano sounds great on ultrasones because you feel the weight in every chord.

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 35
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm, bassy,
A headphone amplifier brings out their best.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 35
ATH Pro700 MK2- Unfortunately, haven't gotten the chance to try these myself, but according to reviews ive read. The highs and the mids are a slightly improved version of the m50's sound, and the bass is upped majorly, so it has a huge amount of bass. You can find these for about 150$ possibly less if you look in the right places. ANother option would be the Ultrasone HFI 580, not as bassy but good design and i've heard good things about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back