Are you a console or PC gamer?
Nov 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #301 of 968
  Mouse and keyboard is beneficial for most kinds of games, just not for racing (wheel master race), flying (joystick master race), most sports games (controller), and probably not fighting games (like Street Fighter) either.  Strategy games and many RPGs (I'm guessing JRPGs are designed around controllers though because they are often meant for PlayStation) benefit from the added functionality of mouse and keyboard, as do more complex survival games and stealth games.  The bulk of what I play are wRPGs and I couldn't live without mouse and keyboard.

But yeah building a PC is super easy.  Watch some YouTube videos of it when the time comes and give it a whirl. Building really nice looking, silent PCs can be fun and extremely rewarding.  Mine is getting a makeover very soon.

JRPGs are by far my favorite genre, so yeah. Plus I'm just used to using a controller with all types of console games. I tried emulators and some of them were pretty hard to play with a keyboard. lol. I'm sure I'll reap the benefits of keyboards once I enter the glamorous world of PC gaming. (Is there a single word for that?)

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #303 of 968
PC Gamer here. Been building computers since I was in early high school and now well past college.

Only thing I play now is Counter Strike Global Offensive and any game that's graphic intensive.
It's always a young boys dream to see how far he can push his graphics card (GTX 1080)

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #304 of 968
I'm a PC gamer mostly, but as Madden isn't available on PC, I do have an XBOX One. Saw that Gears of Wars 4 has introduced cross-compatibility on PC and XBox One. Pretty cool. I'm sure it won't be long until most of the big titles on the platforms merge.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #306 of 968
I just rebuilt my PC in a new case with a CPU cooler (EK Predator 240) with NZXT Hue+ lighting, so I figured I might as well share it here.  
biggrin.gif

It's so quiet that it's hard to tell if it's on if you're just going by sound.  Also everything shown (case lighting, motherboard lighting, mouse and keyboard) are all equipped with RGB LEDs not just blue.  

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #307 of 968
I started out gaming on the Sega Genisis but after getting my first computer, a Packard Bell, and discovering Wolfenstein and Doom I became primarily a PC gamer. I've always played both but I prefer PC games for mods, being able to run visuals at higher settings, and a preference for keyboard and mouse over controllers.

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #308 of 968
I flip flop from console to PC and back. Currently back to console due to many exclusives recently releasing. Well, that, and my laptop no longer getting playable temps. Last time I tried, the readings were going to 103 Celsius. She's getting old. That scared me enough to hold off on PC gaming until I get a desktop rig. Basically just waiting on Kaby Lake and 1080TI.

I just rebuilt my PC in a new case with a CPU cooler (EK Predator 240) with NZXT Hue+ lighting, so I figured I might as well share it here.  :D

I really like the aesthetics of the Phanteks Evolv (ATX and ITX).I wanted to build on the ITX, but I I didn't like the temps temp a posted everywhere online due to to the GPU not breathing for crap unless you get a hybrid which I didn't want at the time.

That Evolv ATX TG looks lovely. I just personally want smaller, if not, I'd have look for one of those (non-TG).

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #309 of 968
I flip flop from console to PC and back. Currently back to console due to many exclusives recently releasing. Well, that, and my laptop no longer getting playable temps. Last time I tried, the readings were going to 103 Celsius. She's getting old. That scared me enough to hold off on PC gaming until I get a desktop rig. Basically just waiting on Kaby Lake and 1080TI.

I'm surprised a gaming god like you didn't already have one!

The fan of my laptop used to go crazy, and it would overheat rather easily at times...but at one point, it just stopped making noise altogether...which leads me to believe that it's simply been rendered inoperable...but ironically, my laptop rarely ever overheats now. Go figure.

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #310 of 968
I really like the aesthetics of the Phanteks Evolv (ATX and ITX).I wanted to build on the ITX, but I I didn't like the temps temp a posted everywhere online due to to the GPU not breathing for crap unless you get a hybrid which I didn't want at the time.

That Evolv ATX TG looks lovely. I just personally want smaller, if not, I'd have look for one of those (non-TG).

Yeah, sadly all of the best looking ITX cases are lacking in airflow.  I recently built a system in the Corsair Obsidian 250D which has outstanding functionality, ease of use, and airflow (I put a 200mm fan in the front).  That PC has a Gigabyte Z170 WiFi, i5 6500, and EVGA GTX 1060 SC.  

I would suggest an SFX PSU for any ITX PC for the short cables, namely Corsair's SF series.

Dec 18, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #311 of 968
Well, that, and my laptop no longer getting playable temps. Last time I tried, the readings were going to 103 Celsius. She's getting old.

103C?! Jesus. Most CPU/GPU would thermal throttle or shutdown well before hitting that mark. Have you considered blowing dust out of the vents and re-pasting? Depending on the age of the machine, the thermal paste could be like dried cement by now.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #312 of 968
It's a 2012 laptop with a lot of abuse. I'm sure the paste paste and all that is far from ideal.

TBH I was just waiting for it to die. It's had bad mobo warnings for a while now. Not really cost effective to fix.

I honestly don't wanna go with going into it to potentially fix it. I'm not a DIY kind of guy. I'd make things worse.

The temp reading might be a bad sensor. It fluctuates from 103 to high 80s in split seconds. Before, it would never go above like 90. This 103 thing is very recent.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #313 of 968
I honestly don't wanna go with going into it to potentially fix it. I'm not a DIY kind of guy. I'd make things worse.

Same here. Just gonna wait until I can upgrade.

I'm also afraid to break into my external hard drive array that became slow. Still not sure what to do about that...it would probably take months to back up the data now.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/820106/external-hard-drive-array-is-a-hundred-times-slower-now

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #315 of 968
Ah gotcha. So are you looking at a prebuilt for your next desktop?

Ah, nah. I'm building my own. But building your own is almost all just plug and play. No solder or anything of the sort. I'd have gone into my system if it was a desktop. But laptops are much more of a chore with a billion tiny screws and weird heat pipes in the way, etc. Too much hassle for me. Laptop layouts are super confusing. I've been studying building a desktop for like a year now. Just been very, very patient.

I'm probably gonna use a Coolermaster Mastercase 3. It looks stupid simply to build in with great airflow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back