Are you a console or PC gamer?
Nov 10, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #286 of 971
I gamed pretty much exclusively on the PC from the Commodore 64 era through 2001. From 2002 through maybe about 2012 I used consoles more but still always had a top-flight gaming PC. From 2012 to now, I'm back to basically PC exclusivity. My PS3 is now the family DVD player and streaming device and I have no interest in the PS4 or Xbox One as I now have a gaming laptop that I can easily hook up to my TV.

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #287 of 971
I think one reason many people (including myself) have favored consoles is that they are so much simpler to set up. You get a prepackaged system, hook it up, and play. PC gaming requires far more knowledge and preparation, and PC gamers tend to be a lot more educated on technical stuff. Despite all the convincing arguments for the superiority of PC gaming, I still lean towards console gaming (though I haven't gamed in awhile) because it's so simple and I've done it my entire life. But if I were to be objective (who can, really?), I'd submit to my PC overlords. lol

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #288 of 971
I think one reason many people (including myself) have favored consoles is that they are so much simpler to set up. You get a prepackaged system, hook it up, and play. PC gaming requires far more knowledge and preparation, and PC gamers tend to be a lot more educated on technical stuff. Despite all the convincing arguments for the superiority of PC gaming, I still lean towards console gaming (though I haven't gamed in awhile) because it's so simple and I've done it my entire life. But if I were to be objective (who can, really?), I'd submit to my PC overlords. lol

Is installing steam and clicking install after purchasing a game really that much harder than console gaming?

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #289 of 971
Is installing steam and clicking install after purchasing a game really that much harder than console gaming?

I meant building PC systems and all the technical stuff you guys talk about. That's much more complex than buying a console, which is generally only one configuration instead of limitless configurations like PCs can be. Heck, I don't even know how to use a PS3/PS4 controller for PC games yet. (I know it can be done; just haven't looked into it much; will when the time comes.)

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #290 of 971
I meant building PC systems and all the technical stuff you guys talk about. That's much more complex than buying a console, which is generally only one configuration instead of limitless configurations like PCs can be. Heck, I don't even know how to use a PS3/PS4 controller for PC games yet. (I know it can be done; just haven't looked into it much; will when the time comes.)

I will agree that all the different branded parts of the same thing and "gamer" branded parts make it cluttered and somewhat confusing for newcomers. But actually building it once you find out what you want is relatively simple

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #291 of 971
I will agree that all the different branded parts of the same thing and "gamer" branded parts make it cluttered and somewhat confusing for newcomers. But actually building it once you find out what you want is relatively simple

I mean, it's not rocket science or anything; it's just that I know next to nothing about building custom PCs. I already made the mistake of paying far more than I needed to for a gaming laptop that ended up being overpriced and having countless problems. Next time I want to do things right, and that will take some research. Basically what I'm saying here is that buying a console requires next to no research, besides deciding which one you want based on games, features, etc.

By the way, did you just recently get the HD 800? I would like to equalize it if/when I get one.

(Although I enjoy it most of the time, it's unbearable for me with maybe ten or twenty percent of music. When I heard it, I didn't understand what was going on, but looking at the measurements [mislabeled graph], I see that it's likely due to the dip in the mids causing an imbalance instead of the treble peak itself, which is relatively mild.)

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #292 of 971
I mean, it's not rocket science or anything; it's just that I know next to nothing about building custom PCs. I already made the mistake of paying far more than I needed to for a gaming laptop that ended up being overpriced and having countless problems. Next time I want to do things right, and that will take some research. Basically what I'm saying here is that buying a console requires next to no research, besides deciding which one you want based on games, features, etc.

By the way, did you just recently get the HD 800? I would like to equalize it if/when I get one.

(Although I enjoy it most of the time, it's unbearable for me with maybe ten or twenty percent of music. When I heard it, I didn't understand what was going on, but looking at the measurements [mislabeled graph], I see that it's likely due to the dip in the mids causing an imbalance instead of the treble peak itself, which is relatively mild.)

Yes, the console is for those who don't want to research and just play some games lol. It works great for people who aren't very interested in technology.

Yes I got an hd800 and I love it. Still figuring out what kind of sound I want from EQing it. The hd700 was pretty simple because all I had to do was fix the dip and now it sounds amazing, but the hd800 doesn't respond to EQ as well as I had hoped. Going to tinker around more and make multiple EQ variations to see what works best. I thought it was very bright and fatiguing at first but I got used to it

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #293 of 971
Yes, the console is for those who don't want to research and just play some games lol. It works great for people who aren't very interested in technology.

Yes I got an hd800 and I love it. Still figuring out what kind of sound I want from EQing it. The hd700 was pretty simple because all I had to do was fix the dip and now it sounds amazing, but the hd800 doesn't respond to EQ as well as I had hoped. Going to tinker around more and make multiple EQ variations to see what works best. I thought it was very bright and fatiguing at first but I got used to it

Yeah, I had an HD 700. Loved the look and feel so much that I really miss it now, unlike most headphones I have owned. But I'm pretty particular about frequency response, so I'd have to spend a lot of time equalizing that one. Click below to see what I mean. I also included measurements for my neutral reference below it so you can see what my general target is.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/da/dad0aff3_HD700measurements.png
http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6d/6de6f4f3_STAX_SR-207_EP-507_SB2217.png

As for EQ for the HD 800, I know lots of people like the Sonarworks software. It's not free, but is a convenient way of having the work done for you...though it only gets you to someone else's target instead of your own, the latter of which would obviously require much more effort.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #294 of 971
Yeah, I had an HD 700. Loved the look and feel so much that I really miss it now, unlike most headphones I have owned. But I'm pretty particular about frequency response, so I'd have to spend a lot of time equalizing that one. Click below to see what I mean. I also included measurements for my neutral reference below it so you can see what my general target is.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/da/dad0aff3_HD700measurements.png
http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6d/6de6f4f3_STAX_SR-207_EP-507_SB2217.png

As for EQ for the HD 800, I know lots of people like the Sonarworks software. It's not free, but is a convenient way of having the work done for you...though it only gets you to someone else's target instead of your own, the latter of which would obviously require much more effort.

Everyone complains about the treble spikes on the hd700 but it didn't bother me really, it didn't feel as bright as the T1 (T1 treble spikes don't bother me much either). So I only EQed the dips in the mids and upper mids. Electric guitars and vocals sounded much more in line with the rest of the track and much more natural in tonality. My target is usually just neutral but with slight mids and upper mids boost (2-4khz). Although it seems I'm a treble head, I actually don't add more treble to headphones with neutral treble responses like the hm5. The design and comfort of the hd700 is truly fantastic

I will try the sonarworks if I can get a free trial

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #295 of 971
I will try the sonarworks if I can get a free trial

Here's a brief tutorial of mine in case it helps:

Download and install the free trial of Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone. (Or purchase it.)

Download and install this VST adapter in foobar2000.

Go to Components, VST plugins and add the Sonarworks plugin.

Go to Playback, DSP Manager and activate the Sonarworks plugin. Then click Configure Selected.

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #296 of 971

You can actually buy some pretty good pre-built desktop PCs at fairly reasonable prices now. It's a slightly older video, but the system isn't half bad.

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #298 of 971

This is true to a degree. A console certainly is easier. And I know for me personally, I have been building and assembling PC's as a hobby now for easily close to 20 years. However, it is a lot simpler than most think. You just need to learn about what the main components of a computer are and then sort of put it all together (or buy pre-assembled gaming PC's which there are a lot of now). The biggest thing I learned early on about building and assembling PC's is that if you can plug something in somewhere, thats mostly likely where it goes.

I dont begrudge anyone for choosing console, its just that the ease of use argument is nowhere near enough for me personally to choose it as a primary gaming platform (especially because mouse and keyboard is far superior to a controller! at least for fps games).

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #299 of 971
  This is true to a degree. A console certainly is easier. And I know for me personally, I have been building and assembling PC's as a hobby now for easily close to 20 years. However, it is a lot simpler than most think. You just need to learn about what the main components of a computer are and then sort of put it all together (or buy pre-assembled gaming PC's which there are a lot of now). The biggest thing I learned early on about building and assembling PC's is that if you can plug something in somewhere, thats mostly likely where it goes.

I dont begrudge anyone for choosing console, its just that the ease of use argument is nowhere near enough for me personally to choose it as a primary gaming platform (especially because mouse and keyboard is far superior to a controller! at least for fps games).

I bet once I learn the basics, building a custom PC won't be an issue at all. It's just not something I plan on doing until later.

I can't stand using a mouse and keyboard for gaming. Incidentally, I don't like FPS games much either.
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #300 of 971

I bet once I learn the basics, building a custom PC won't be an issue at all. It's just not something I plan on doing until later.

I can't stand using a mouse and keyboard for gaming. Incidentally, I don't like FPS games much either.
tongue.gif

Mouse and keyboard is beneficial for most kinds of games, just not for racing (wheel master race), flying (joystick master race), most sports games (controller), and probably not fighting games (like Street Fighter) either.  Strategy games and many RPGs (I'm guessing JRPGs are designed around controllers though because they are often meant for PlayStation) benefit from the added functionality of mouse and keyboard, as do more complex survival games and stealth games.  The bulk of what I play are wRPGs and I couldn't live without mouse and keyboard.

But yeah building a PC is super easy.  Watch some YouTube videos of it when the time comes and give it a whirl. Building really nice looking, silent PCs can be fun and extremely rewarding.  Mine is getting a makeover very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back