Are we going to talk about these new Beyer/Massdrop 177x?
May 23, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #211 of 260
Has anyone compared the 177x to MSRb yet? Especially in terms of treble detail?

I’m blown away by the MSRb, just got them today, but I’m wondering if the level of isolation isn’t enough...

I think that is the golden question 177x vs msrb, got a feeling from the reviews on here and what's been said so far, msrbs maybe just as good and dare I say it could give it a run for its money.

No idea why AT did them as portables these are high-end musical listening cans for home use, isolation is excellent I had mid level hearing levels on my flac collection and family members standing 2 metres away (young and old ears) could not hear anything. Its one of those odd things where its blasting out at enjoyable listening levels and your thinking surely they can hear that noise....but nope the isolation is very good. Maybe from few inches away or if your sleeping next to partner in bed id imagine they can hear it and you may need to lower it.

May 23, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #212 of 260
I think that is the golden question 177x vs msrb, got a feeling from the reviews on here and what's been said so far, msrbs maybe just as good and dare I say it could give it a run for its money.

No idea why AT did them as portables these are high-end musical listening cans for home use, isolation is excellent I had mid level hearing levels on my flac collection and family members standing 2 metres away (young and old ears) could not hear anything. Its one of those odd things where its blasting out at enjoyable listening levels and your thinking surely they can hear that noise....but nope the isolation is very good. Maybe from few inches away or if your sleeping next to partner in bed id imagine they can hear it and you may need to lower it.

Yes, the MSR7b are incredible, although I’m actually loving that they did them as portables, that's why I bought them for use with my M11P (which is a perfect match, especially with the balanced cable).

And I'm more meaning isolation in terms of me hearing people/sounds - I don’t really care if they can hear me... lol :wink:. I’m coming from Beyer COPs, which sounded like crap but had an incredible level of isolation. In these lockdown days, it’s like a way of virtual escape when I need a break from everyone in the house (though I love them :)).

My main cans for the past 10 years or so have been 325is, so I’m used to a very high level of treble and detail, and love that I’m getting that from the MSR7b. Was thinking the 177x might give me the isolation of the COP but with better sound, but I don't want to lose the level of detail/treble I'm getting with the MSR7b.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #213 of 260
Yes, the MRS7b are incredible, although I’m actually loving that they did them as portables, that's why I bought them for use with my M11P (which is a perfect match, especially with the balanced cable).

And I'm more meaning isolation in terms of me hearing people/sounds - I don’t really care if they can hear me... lol :wink:. I’m coming from Beyer COPs, which sounded like crap but had an incredible level of isolation. In these lockdown days, it’s like a way of virtual escape when I need a break from everyone in the house (though love them :)).

My main cans for the past 10 years or so have been 325is, so I’m used to a very high level of treble and detail, and love that I’m getting that from the MSR7b. Was thinking the 177x might give me the isolation of the COP, but I don't want to lose the level of detail/treble I'm getting with the MRS7b.
To be totally honest if you're all about treble detail I don't think I can recommend the 177X. It has a nice frequency response, imaging and soundstage but the upper register detail is rather lacking I've concluded.

May 23, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #214 of 260
To be totally honest if you're all about treble detail I don't think I can recommend the 177X. It has a nice frequency response, imaging and soundstage but the upper register detail is rather lacking I've concluded.

Thanks, that’s exactly the feedback I need.

May 26, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #216 of 260
Has anyone compared these to the Elegias? With the new sale.. they elegia is currently cheaper.
I honestly can’t recommend these for $450, just too much for what they are. Even $380 was pushing it imo. I haven’t heard the Elegia but in terms of technical performance at least it should be better. Just keep in mind that it doesn’t come with a warranty, if I’m not mistaken.

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #218 of 260
Hi everyone,

I'd like to offer my experience after some time of having both the 177x (i've been able to listen through these on 3 days) and my daily drivers for more than a year already (Audio Technica MSR7b):

Amp-response and sensitivity:
Unlike a number of headphones I've had the pleasure of trying and owning, the 177X are far sensitive to what it's being plugged into. I get a more uniform experience on the MSR7b's regardless of the source although they do tend to take some of the amp's characteristics.

EQ response:
This isn't something we probably do similarly especially if you're an audiophile. I EQ on tracks that I mix.... so, both headphones respond well to EQ.

Overall Sound:
It's largely difficult to compare the 177x and the MSR7b because of a number of traits that both headphones have....

on one end: MSR7b's have a boosted high mid to high frequencies. These make the bass appear tucked in but well defined. On an experience level, I am sure there's bass in tracks I listen to but I either need to bass boost/EQ, or turn the volume up a bit to get them to where I can be sure of what the bass is doing (especially when I need to record a bass guitar track). Also, this means that at certain tracks with high frequencies tend to poke me in the ear. I realized after A/B-ing with the 177x that I had grown to and adapted to the MSR7b's treble response--

on the other: this brings us to the 177X. Compared to the MSR7b's, the highs on the 177X are not as boosted. If they are, not by much... and the midbass boost actually made my initial impressions feel like these headphones were too warm. After a few days I realized that since I had always monitored through or played with my MSR7b's live and monitored through them, this "drastic" shift in frequency response between headphones took a day or so for me to actually adapt to the midbass bump.
After acclimating to the 177X, I can now appreciate them side by side with my MSR7b. These [177X] have around as much detail as the MSR7b's on the top end, but since these aren't boosted in the highs, details like tom drums and the natural room reverb recorded in tracks actually are easier to pick out. Listening to kick drums actually also got me rather fooled into looking at the floor to my left (where the drummer but usually be when I play live) hahaha.

I had my mom try out the 177X on movies she's been watching and she told me "I can't really explain but everything sounds clean." She enjoyed them lots.
Suffice to say, the MSR7b's are good for picking out mid to higher frequencies in a track. I make good use of them when recording electric guitars and whenever I mix higher vocal ranged vocals. Tracking bass and rhythm guitars, mixing male vocals are a pleasure on the 177X. I intend to mix and master on the 177X, though I tend to use at least 4 devices to listen to whenever I mix and master audio...

A few last things....
I'm using the dekoni sheepskin pads on the 177X (because I like prefer the isolation over the velours), and I have hartaudiocables. I will be using the cable that it came with but only as a pair to my home recording interface.

On the FiiO Q1Mk2: driving them single-ended makes the headphones feel less bassy than when I use the balaned output. It was quite an odd experience (getting 2 personalities in from one device).

These clamp differently. It's like my head was made for the MSR7b (or the other way around). I've had to muscle the 177X's headband a couple of times, stretching them out so they wouldn't crush my head... hahaha. I find the tension a bit better now.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #219 of 260
My Custom Hart Audio cable came in...I ordered with 9" of cable to right angle 2.5mm TRRS balanced plug.
I would add 1/2" to 91/2" if going balanced and you want to have the cable orientation in first two shots. A little tight.
I am using orientation in the 3rd image.

A little heavier but really cool to be untethered around the house and at the desk with these!
(Hart Audio Cables was great with my non-standard request...)
DT177XGO_Bal_ES100_01.gif
DT177XGO_Bal_ES100_02.gif
DT177XGO_Bal_ES100_03.gif

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #220 of 260
^Okay, I am back to orientation of Shot #2 so I can swing plug out and access the On/Off/Play/Pause button.
Yeah, I actually have 7" of cable in between the two plugs.
Increase the 7" of cable by 1/2-3/4" of cable in between the plugs if you are going to 2.5mm TRRS.
Dialing it in. But man this is great. :)

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #221 of 260
Do think they are wasted if they are used only via a smartphone (honor 10)? I would like to avoid taking a dac amp like the ifi hip dac or other models .. But in your opinion there is a lot of difference (I'm talking about the audio quality and not the power) .. Thanks

At this level of headphone I feel like you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not using something to supplement a smartphone.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #222 of 260
Here is some help in case anyone else wants to make a custom shorty balanced cable to Earstudio ES100. Hart Audio Cables did a really nice job.

Better fit with 9" of cable in between the plugs (yes that is a 90 degree TRRS 2.5mm balanced plug):
GO-1.gif

Much more relaxed fit to the bluetooth puck, sits really well without any strain:
GO-2.gifGO-3.gifGO-4.gifGO-6.gif

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #225 of 260
I tried some Dekoni Elite Velour pads on my 177x's. Did not like at all. No bass, no... anything. Everything was far too distant and hollow. That are just so much bigger than the stock analytical pads I'm used to. I think the shallow stocks pads actually do these a favour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back