Are we going to talk about these new Beyer/Massdrop 177x?
Apr 16, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 260
giphy.gif

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 260
I ordered them as well, based on the frequency response curve and the early adopter discount. The only thing that makes me nervous is that people keep describing the original 1770s as intense, piercing and/or shouty. I'm really hoping they mellowed the upper mids and treble a little bit. The FR graphs make it look like they did.

The good thing with the Massdrop headphones is that they sell well on the second hand market if I just can't stand them. I doubt that will happen however.

For closed cans, I have the Beyer DT-770s which are great for the price, but l always wished they had better extension. On the other hand, I have the Audeze EL-8 Closed, which are really fun for casual listening, but are so hyped (V shaped) that I don't trust them for mixing.

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 260

Apr 21, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 260
Fair price, looked great. Ordered, however, the estimated ship date is making me upset, I might literally forget it.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 260
May 2, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 260
Any more discussion on these? I might order them, mainly due to the special pre-order price. I agree this could be the top closed back headphone under $500. I'm considering selling the Meze 99 Noir I just received since they're still in such good condition so I can order these...but I've been enjoying those too :) and if I don't like the Beyers I'll just sell them and get the Meze again lol.

But yes, these could be my dream closed can for the office. The few reviews that have already come out are already positive and it measures quite nicely.

May 4, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #12 of 260
For closed cans, I have the Beyer DT-770s which are great for the price, but l always wished they had better extension
DT770's extend better than most headphones in both bass and treble.
Where do you feel they are lacking, and compared to what other headphone?

May 10, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 260
Yeah, to me this looks like a good closed can for work. Hope they release a balanced cable, as they said they were looking into.

May 10, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 260
Yeah, to me this looks like a good closed can for work. Hope they release a balanced cable, as they said they were looking into.
It looks like MD is very involved with this one which is a good sign. Seems like an ongoing effort between both Beyer and Massdrop which is cool to see. I think with the 1770 already being pretty good at $500 - $600, and this version being smoothed even more and $380 - $450 I think this could a great closed option. Maybe one of the best in terms of price/performance? We’ll see...there haven’t been many reviews yet but the ones that do exist are very positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back