Are we going to talk about these new Beyer/Massdrop 177x?
Feb 25, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #181 of 260
Yeah, they’re pretty easy to drive. But I’ve recently discovered how well they scale. Through my Fiio portable amp they sound pretty darn good but they still seem a bit under-juiced even though I only need half-volume on high gain. I listened to them trough my Magni 3 over the weekend and I feel as though the difference was more than just a little. Bass was tighter and deeper, mids stayed about the same, treble sounded clearer and cleaner with a little less coarseness. They just sounded bigger. Hopefully the balanced cable I have coming brings it to that same level through the Fiio.
Willing to share your cable find?

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #183 of 260
Does anyone have experience comparing the 177x to the original 1770 pro? Seeing as how the impedance is totally different, I guess the driver/transducer underwent some major changes, so I'm wondering how much of the same I can expect from the 177x.

I tried the 1770 and really loved them, but finding one for a price I can currently afford isn't so easy somehow, so maybe I should go for 177x.

Feb 26, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #184 of 260
Does anyone have experience comparing the 177x to the original 1770 pro? Seeing as how the impedance is totally different, I guess the driver/transducer underwent some major changes, so I'm wondering how much of the same I can expect from the 177x.

I tried the 1770 and really loved them, but finding one for a price I can currently afford isn't so easy somehow, so maybe I should go for 177x.
I feel like you won’t get many responses in that regard; generally seems like people have one or the other. I do think it’s safe to say that if you loved the 1770 then you’ll probably like the 177X as well, especially considering it’ll cost you less.

It’ll have basically the same signature; big and boisterous, with energy. Except, on the 177X, the mids should be more balanced and better tuned. The 177X will also have less subbass and less upper treble, which was done intentionally to make the sound more neutral and smooth. That’s not to say it isn’t there however. But that, along with the lower impedance, means the detail level might be a little lower. I do still find it to be relatively detailed, however.

Other difference of course is the 177X being wired for balanced use. That’s my take on it anyway, maybe somebody else will chime in :)

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #185 of 260
Balanced cable from Hart Audio came in! It’s excellent. Shorter, more manageable length and it looks slick. I like the look better than the standard cable. They did a great job. This is my first time trying a balanced cable. I can’t say that there’s much difference in sound but I think it helps the amp in terms of power. I sometimes noticed this very slight static noise at a certain peak being hit in high gain, now having enough power to use low gain I don’t notice it anymore. Perhaps everything else is just slightly improved (image, separation, naturalness, detail, clarity, tightness) but they mostly sound more clean to me.

F611272E-1DD2-48D9-B058-C5BD3576CA21.jpeg

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #186 of 260
I’m wondering if anyone has been able to hear these vs the e-mu teak? I’m really enjoying the teaks, however like many, I have some issues with the isolation. My wife falls asleep next to me on the sofa some nights, and depending on what I’m listening to, the teaks can bother her.

Why doesn’t she go sleep in the bedroom, you ask? Well. I’ve asked that, too :)

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #187 of 260
I’m wondering if anyone has been able to hear these vs the e-mu teak? I’m really enjoying the teaks, however like many, I have some issues with the isolation. My wife falls asleep next to me on the sofa some nights, and depending on what I’m listening to, the teaks can bother her.

Why doesn’t she go sleep in the bedroom, you ask? Well. I’ve asked that, too :)
i have them both, but i have different pads on both as well so.....i have the teaks with the zmf eikon pads and the sound leakage is pretty minimal. on the 17xxs i have the Brainwavz angled pads and those have 0 leakage and great isolation.

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #188 of 260
i have them both, but i have different pads on both as well so.....i have the teaks with the zmf eikon pads and the sound leakage is pretty minimal. on the 17xxs i have the Brainwavz angled pads and those have 0 leakage and great isolation.

it’s a good sign you have both! How do they compare? I’m doing the Lawton level one mod on my teaks, and the new pads might help with the isolation.

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #189 of 260
it’s a good sign you have both! How do they compare? I’m doing the Lawton level one mod on my teaks, and the new pads might help with the isolation.
the more i use the 17xx the more i like them. they are a great all around headphone. if i had to keep 1 i would keep these. that being said i do love my teaks, just not as versatile and build quality isnt as good.

Mar 21, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #190 of 260
the more i use the 17xx the more i like them. they are a great all around headphone. if i had to keep 1 i would keep these. that being said i do love my teaks, just not as versatile and build quality isnt as good.
Yeah, I would’ve 100% gone for the Fostex or Emu if they were only more practical. Not only was isolation a concern, but the supplied cable for the Fostex was too long, the hinges were prone to breaking, and the wood was too nice to worry about scratching. Just wasn’t totally comfortable with the idea of them being an office headphone.

The DT 177X is better in that regard, and cheaper. I agree, they are a great all-rounder. Everything sounds right through them to me, the sound is well balanced and instruments and vocals sound so natural; better than my ER4XR and B&O H6 in that regard, and close in timbre to the HD6XX.

I think if there’s one area of disappointment, is that for me, the treble resolution and detail isn’t that great. Compared to those headphones and even Tin T2, they’re lacking in transient speed. I noticed this in a track that has a high pitched swirling sound with little cymbal taps, and the 177X was the only headphone out of them where I couldn’t detect the tapping, which is a shame considering the fact they’re more expensive than any of those. I’m wondering if this has to do with the impedance reduction. It beats them all in stage and imaging though. They sound so open without the treble sounding boosted, leaving music a lot of room to breathe.

Even with that said, the 177X is worth it to me because I feel it presents the most enjoyable experience for music listening. The HD6XX is right there with it but it’s open so I can’t use it at work and it is a little dull. The ER4XR is great too, very clean and detailed but it’s a little too sterile and mid forward, and not as big sounding being an IEM. The H6 beats the 177X in treble clarity and detail, but lacks a certain body in the mids so they could sound thin and un-engaging at times. I value detail and resolution, sure, but not at the expense of my music sounding less engaging. I’m still not entirely done being curious about other closed headphones but of the ones I’ve tried, this has been my favorite.

Your mileage may vary, of course. That’s how I feel about them currently, and they’re still holding up. Had a great weekend last weekend using them almost all afternoon!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #191 of 260
The DT 177X is better in that regard, and cheaper. I agree, they are a great all-rounder. Everything sounds right through them to me, the sound is well balanced and instruments and vocals sound so natural; better than my ER4XR and B&O H6 in that regard, and close in timbre to the HD6XX.

I think if there’s one area of disappointment, is that for me, the treble resolution and detail isn’t that great. Compared to those headphones and even Tin T2, they’re lacking in transient speed. I noticed this in a track that has a high pitched swirling sound with little cymbal taps, and the 177X was the only headphone out of them where I couldn’t detect the tapping, which is a shame considering the fact they’re more expensive than any of those. I’m wondering if this has to do with the impedance reduction. It beats them all in stage and imaging though. They sound so open without the treble sounding boosted, leaving music a lot of room to breathe.

Even with that said, the 177X is worth it to me because I feel it presents the most enjoyable experience for music listening. The HD6XX is right there with it but it’s open so I can’t use it at work and it is a little dull. The ER4XR is great too, very clean and detailed but it’s a little too sterile and mid forward, and not as big sounding being an IEM. The H6 beats the 177X in treble clarity and detail, but lacks a certain body in the mids so they could sound thin and un-engaging at times. I value detail and resolution, sure, but not at the expense of my music sounding less engaging. I’m still not entirely done being curious about other closed headphones but of the ones I’ve tried, this has been my favorite.

Your mileage may vary, of course. That’s how I feel about them currently, and they’re still holding up. Had a great weekend last weekend using them almost all afternoon!

I found my Etymotic ER3XRs pretty flat and neutral, details were solid but soundstage lacking too. Isolation was best I have ever owned I think it had zero leakage compared to my usual closed back hps (AT A900s, AKG K550 rev 1 and 3) so see where you are coming from with your comparison and 177X.

I think the Chifi scene with its endless budget iems may have evolved in many areas over top end iems but not gone down that route although I had the T1s on my radar, sold off my ER3Xrs while they still held some value so did not lose out! But it was nice to hear you also liked the T2s.

I have AKG K550 rev 3s with lamb skin brainwavz there my dailys but sure there also flat, neutral sounding (not bright or fun) and the soundstage average and everything closed inwards, detail and clarity is good but it feels too closed in just like IEMs and ER3/4s tend to be. This is why I was looking at closed cans with better sound stages and some brightness to make music and film more enjoyable at least.

Anyhow, I have purchased Audio-Technica MSR7-B closed back but may take a while to get them, supposed to also have very good sound stage, detailed mids and interesting highs and ok isolation similar to akg 371/K550s, they maybe a good option and comparable to the pricey DT-177X GOs but not ever seen any direct comparison yet.

Apr 9, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #192 of 260
I found my Etymotic ER3XRs pretty flat and neutral, details were solid but soundstage lacking too. Isolation was best I have ever owned I think it had zero leakage compared to my usual closed back hps (AT A900s, AKG K550 rev 1 and 3) so see where you are coming from with your comparison and 177X.

I think the Chifi scene with its endless budget iems may have evolved in many areas over top end iems but not gone down that route although I had the T1s on my radar, sold off my ER3Xrs while they still held some value so did not lose out! But it was nice to hear you also liked the T2s.

I have AKG K550 rev 3s with lamb skin brainwavz there my dailys but sure there also flat, neutral sounding (not bright or fun) and the soundstage average and everything closed inwards, detail and clarity is good but it feels too closed in just like IEMs and ER3/4s tend to be. This is why I was looking at closed cans with better sound stages and some brightness to make music and film more enjoyable at least.

Anyhow, I have purchased Audio-Technica MSR7-B closed back but may take a while to get them, supposed to also have very good sound stage, detailed mids and interesting highs and ok isolation similar to akg 371/K550s, they maybe a good option and comparable to the pricey DT-177X GOs but not ever seen any direct comparison yet.
I’ve heard good things about the MSR7b so that’s a good choice! I imagine they’ll sound very different, which might be why there aren’t many comparisons. The 177X is also still fairly new. I’ve heard they’re rather bright but very tight and resolving. Hope you enjoy them, curious to hear your thoughts!

Apr 9, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #193 of 260

Cool! I've been waiting for my 177x but have had the MSR7b for at least a year. Running off Fiio Q1 Mark 2 or off a Roland DS 88 (keyboard/piano/DAW) they do sound really detailed in the mids and highs-- but I've always kind of wanted to hear just a little more bass (when comparing these with speakers whenever I play live)--

Apr 10, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #194 of 260
[QUOTE = "G0rt, post: 15206586, membro: 511345"]

DT177x in casa! Vengono forniti con cuscinetti in velluto installati, pelli di agnello alternative e cavo combinato da 3,5 / 6,3 mm.

Fresco fuori dagli schemi, suono abbastanza indulgente, quello che ritengo essere il tuning Amiron atteso e un discreto isolamento.
[/CITAZIONE]
20190924_110637.jpg

DT177x in the house! They come with the velour pads installed, alternative lambskins and the combo 3.5/6.3mm cable.

Fresh out of the box, sound quite forgiving, what I take to be the expected Amiron tuning, and decent isolation.
How decent isolation, was a great cloded back with a very lot of isolation, I don't know these then? I wish the people next to me don't hear anything

Apr 10, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #195 of 260
But can the isolation of 177x be compared to that of an iem? I am looking for complete headphones with a very very good isolation, above all I am looking for a headset that does not make me hear what I listen to those around me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back