Are we going to talk about these new Beyer/Massdrop 177x?
Feb 11, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #166 of 260
I’m no too worried about them sounding dark as I prefer that. The PM3 were good sounding but a bit too polite. They also didn’t have the kind of bass I prefer. Everything I’ve read about the 177X lead me to believe they’re exactly what I’m looking for in an Office headphone.
I'm curious to hear what you think. Keep us posted

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #167 of 260
How is the noise isolation? Could I use these on a plane with the leather pads and not have the world hear what I am listening to? Would mainly be using these to game and listen in house but there will be times when they will be used on planes and trains.

EDIT: I have the Fostex Purple hearts which are closed back but.. uh.. yeah they leak sound like crazy haha. I like them bur I also had the DT 1990 Pro for a bit but open backs don't really work for my living situation. I LOVED the DT 1990 Pros so I was hoping I could get some of that magic with these but with closed backs.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #168 of 260
How is the noise isolation? Could I use these on a plane with the leather pads and not have the world hear what I am listening to? Would mainly be using these to game and listen in house but there will be times when they will be used on planes and trains.

EDIT: I have the Fostex Purple hearts which are closed back but.. uh.. yeah they leak sound like crazy haha. I like them bur I also had the DT 1990 Pro for a bit but open backs don't really work for my living situation. I LOVED the DT 1990 Pros so I was hoping I could get some of that magic with these but with closed backs.
Yeah that’s why I went with these instead of the Fostex. Wouldn’t be able to use them in the office, not only because of the leakage but also because the label is really long and the hinges are fragile.

To be honest, I haven’t tried the sheepskins but I imagine they isolate similarly to other closed headphones with leather pads. Others say they isolate well. You shouldn’t have any problems with leakage on a plane, even with the velours (although those might let more noise in.) I haven’t gotten any complaints in my office with the velour pads, but can hear things around me when Music isn’t playing.

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #169 of 260
Yeah that’s why I went with these instead of the Fostex. Wouldn’t be able to use them in the office, not only because of the leakage but also because the label is really long and the hinges are fragile.

To be honest, I haven’t tried the sheepskins but I imagine they isolate similarly to other closed headphones with leather pads. Others say they isolate well. You shouldn’t have any problems with leakage on a plane, even with the velours (although those might let more noise in.) I haven’t gotten any complaints in my office with the velour pads, but can hear things around me when Music isn’t playing.

Thanks! I'll most likely end up ordering them tonight. With my luck if I wait a week the price will go back up to $450 haha. Yeah I never even thought about bringing my Fostex's to the office but I may end up doing that with the 177X.

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #170 of 260
Thanks! I'll most likely end up ordering them tonight. With my luck if I wait a week the price will go back up to $450 haha. Yeah I never even thought about bringing my Fostex's to the office but I may end up doing that with the 177X.
No problem. They’ve been set at $380 since November so you SHOULD be good but yeah, might as well do it tonight just in case. That kind of misfortune happens to me all the time lol.

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #171 of 260
I use my Purplehearts all the time at the office... right now in fact, ZERO leak issues - you'd have to be within 6" to be able to even faintly hear what I'm listening to. Their semi-open cup design actually lets more sound in than out. The DT 177X isolates MUCH, MUCH MORE - VERY good isolation with the leather pads in fact: you have to take them off to talk with someone... which is annoying. I can just pause the music and leave my Purplehearts on if someone needs to talk with me quickly.

The DT-177X GO is a nicely quick and precise sounding headphone, with tighter bass than the Purplehearts and a little smoother highs. It is drier/colder sounding though and doesn't have Fostex level subbass. The DT-177X are great for gaming, but the TH-X00 Purplehearts are much more my preference for music, especially since running it on a Project Polaris.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8BNWnqV/0/c65c7162/O/i-8BNWnqV.jpg

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #172 of 260
I use my Purplehearts all the time at the office... right now in fact, ZERO leak issues - you'd have to be within 6" to be able to even faintly hear what I'm listening to. Their semi-open cup design actually lets more sound in than out. The DT 177X isolates MUCH, MUCH MORE - VERY good isolation with the leather pads in fact: you have to take them off to talk with someone... which is annoying. I can just pause the music and leave my Purplehearts on if someone needs to talk with me quickly.

The DT-177X GO is a nicely quick and precise sounding headphone, with tighter bass than the Purplehearts and a little smoother highs. It is drier/colder sounding though and doesn't have Fostex level subbass. The DT-177X are great for gaming, but the TH-X00 Purplehearts are much more my preference for music, especially since running it on a Project Polaris.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8BNWnqV/0/c65c7162/O/i-8BNWnqV.jpg
I hear so many varied things about the Fostex in terms of leakage lol. Some say it leaks a ton and others say it doesn’t leak at all. It’s hard for me to justify it. The cable is another issue for me to be honest. Too long and replacements seem hard to find. At the time the Ebony seemed like it would suit me best but was more expensive and is now OOP, sadly.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #173 of 260
I hear so many varied things about the Fostex in terms of leakage lol. Some say it leaks a ton and others say it doesn’t leak at all. It’s hard for me to justify it. The cable is another issue for me to be honest. Too long and replacements seem hard to find. At the time the Ebony seemed like it would suit me best but was more expensive and is now OOP, sadly.

Depends on what pads are being run... stock pads will leak more than proper fitting overear leather ones. Fostex cable is way better than the stock janky, microphonic one the DT-177X comes with...TH cable is a premium feeling, plyable soft-cloth sheathed cable that is virtually indestructible and way less microphonic. The DT-177X cable is way too short for my needs, why I had an 8' custom cable made for it.

Main reason you go for a Fostex TH/TR is their glorious subbass that you simply don't get from most any other headphone... clean subbass impact that hits like a freight-train and overall warm yet bright sound... The DT-177X is subbass light in comparison to a TH-X00 Purpleheart...

4_t.jpg

i-L74fPBt-M.png

I like the low end and mids/vocals better on the Purplehearts, and the treble slightly more on the DT-177Xs.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #174 of 260
Depends on what pads are being run... stock pads will leak more than proper fitting overear leather ones. Fostex cable is way better than the stock janky, microphonic one the DT-177X comes with...TH cable is a premium feeling, plyable soft-cloth sheathed cable that is virtually indestructible and way less microphonic. The DT-177X cable is way too short for my needs, why I had an 8' custom cable made for it.

Main reason you go for a Fostex TH/TR is their glorious subbass that you simply don't get from most any other headphone... clean subbass impact that hits like a freight-train and overall warm yet bright sound... The DT-177X is subbass light in comparison to a TH-X00 Purpleheart...

4_t.jpg

i-L74fPBt-M.png
I’m the opposite, I rather a shorter cable! I imagine the Fostex cable is nice but too long for me. I’d have miles of cable running down my desk. I even find the 177X cable too long, so I ordered a balanced one that is nicer and shorter.

Yeah, I agree the 177X is indeed light on low bass, at least with the velours. I’m not much of a basshead so I’m not too bothered by it. The 1770 supposedly has more while the 177X is certainly more midbass focused. I love the richness of it.

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #175 of 260
I’m the opposite, I rather a shorter cable! I imagine the Fostex cable is nice but too long for me. I’d have miles of cable running down my desk. I even find the 177X cable too long, so I ordered a balanced one that is nicer and shorter.

Yeah, I agree the 177X is indeed light on low bass, at least with the velours. I’m not much of a basshead so I’m not too bothered by it. The 1770 supposedly has more while the 177X is certainly more midbass focused. I love the richness of it.

Yeah, in pretty much all my use cases I need about an '8 length of cable at least, work desk being only use case it's not needed.... but long cables do coil up very nicely to fit neatly on desk. I mainly use the DT-177X for gaming and movies... really does a great job with both! But warm and bassy is my preferred signature... and I want more of a solid, organic feel with a detailed and tight enough presentation for music. Hence why modded Porta Pros and TH-X00 Purplehearts are my two most favored headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #176 of 260
Yeah, in pretty much all my use cases I need about an '8 length of cable at least, work desk being only use case it's not needed.... but long cables do coil up very nicely to fit neatly on desk. I mainly use the DT-177X for gaming and movies... really does a great job with both! But warm and bassy is my preferred signature... and I want more of a solid, organic feel with a detailed and tight enough presentation for music. Hence why modded Porta Pros and TH-X00 Purplehearts are my two most favored headphones.
Yeah, they sound like super fun headphones. There was a little bit of speculation that Drop stopped selling them (ebonies at least, and PH is currently out of stock) because they’re planning something new. If it’s a more isolating version with a shorter cable option I’d be in! But that’s probably wishful thinking :)

Feb 24, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #177 of 260
I've had these for a few days now and LOVE them! The isolation is so great. They are great for gaming which my split use with music almost 50/50. I've been using the leather pads. I might try out a pair of brainwavz XL Sheepskin pads to see how they sound.

However being able to drive these right from my game controller is a huge plus.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #178 of 260
I've had these for a few days now and LOVE them! The isolation is so great. They are great for gaming which my split use with music almost 50/50. I've been using the leather pads. I might try out a pair of brainwavz XL Sheepskin pads to see how they sound.

However being able to drive these right from my game controller is a huge plus.
Yeah, they’re pretty easy to drive. But I’ve recently discovered how well they scale. Through my Fiio portable amp they sound pretty darn good but they still seem a bit under-juiced even though I only need half-volume on high gain. I listened to them trough my Magni 3 over the weekend and I feel as though the difference was more than just a little. Bass was tighter and deeper, mids stayed about the same, treble sounded clearer and cleaner with a little less coarseness. They just sounded bigger. Hopefully the balanced cable I have coming brings it to that same level through the Fiio.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #179 of 260
Yeah, they’re pretty easy to drive. But I’ve recently discovered how well they scale. Through my Fiio portable amp they sound pretty darn good but they still seem a bit under-juiced even though I only need half-volume on high gain. I listened to them trough my Magni 3 over the weekend and I feel as though the difference was more than just a little. Bass was tighter and deeper, mids stayed about the same, treble sounded clearer and cleaner with a little less coarseness. They just sounded bigger. Hopefully the balanced cable I have coming brings it to that same level through the Fiio.

Funny you say that about the Magni 3. I think I am going to pick up a Schiit stack sometime here in the future. That should be all I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back