Are Triple.fi 10 Pros supposed to be muddy?
Feb 1, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #33 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn-in is very subjective. Some believe that it is a myth especially for BA IEMs (like the TF10), and others believe that there is a real change in SQ with burn-in.

Personally, I think that there is little if any change with physical burn-in of the IEM. I feel that the real burn-in is that of your brain, which will naturally adjust to the new headphone over period of time (in my opinion).

I've become a firm believer in brain burn in.
There is no way my IE8's can have changed as profoundly as my perception of them.
I think it was intoflatlines who tried to tell me this when I first got and was very unhappy with the '8's.
Loving them now.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #34 of 71
I've been listening to the TFPs a lot since delivery (last Thursday) and have grown to like them, for the most part. This may be due to "brain burn-in". For example, I especially noticed the "mud" in Thom Yorke's voice. I don't notice it so much anymore... though things are still a bit warm with the mid-bass hump showing up all the time. This makes them seems a little "cloudy/veiled" as spyro put it. But I am willing to give in to that.

When I was switching between TFPs and Klipsch speakers, I did notice the treble from the Klipsch speakers seamed grating, by comparison. This must be because I've been listening exclusively to the TFPs since my last post. I am looking forward to how my Senns will sound after putting them back on. For now, though, I am giving the TFPs a fair shot.

Another questions I have is this: Do different tips offer better/worse isolation? Specifically, the Sony hybrids which were recommended... One of the reasons I got IEMs was to combat having to hear people's "s" words in public. I draw in public a lot and some people pronounce their "s" words in a way that nauseates me. Probably some of you guys have the same quirk. These IEMs have helped a lot, but I can still hear the "s" (sibilance?) sometimes. So would different tips be helpful?

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #35 of 71
Triple.Fis are not muddy in any way, shape or form. Must be a fit issue, or you're too used to the sound of another phone and find this abhorrent somehow as a result. That latter is a long shot, methinks fit is the culprit.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #36 of 71
I know that I'm sounding like a broken record about this but the TF10 does not exhibit any muddiness, cloudiness, veil, fog, mist or even precipitation to my ears. Yes, the mids are recessed but that's it. I sometimes wonder if people confuse this with a lack of clarity simply because they're not forward enough for their tastes. Nor is there any sign of a mid-bass hump. I hear a mid-bass hump in the IE8 and even the SE530 but definitely not with the TF10. I know we all hear things differently but sometimes it really does seem as if we're listening to phones that are similar in name only.

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #37 of 71
The TFP reminds me of a pair of B&W 800D. A light midrange hump, slightly recessed mids, and clear but not overpowering treble (only slightly lower than the midrange hump). Of course they don't have the solid low low bass either, but they have similar qualities.

That's my impressions while using Comply foam though. I wouldn't use them without foam . . . these are the type of IEMs that crave a consistent seal.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #38 of 71
^ I don't use comply's so that's a major variable between our listening experiences right there, but I think that the bass does go deep for a balanced armature earphone. And again, I hear no evidence of a mid-range or a mid-bass hump.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #39 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I don't use comply's so that's a major variable between our listening experiences right there, but I think that the bass does go deep for a balanced armature earphone. And again, I hear no evidence of a mid-range or a mid-bass hump.

Without using foam you're definitely not going to hear what I'm hearing . . . the seals with silicon feel different just about every time I've tried it (and I'm surely not the only one).

You say there's no evidence of a mid-bass hump, but think about it this way . . . you admit to hearing recessed mids correct? What are the odds of a perfect U between the two (bass and treble)?

Just saying some of us are picking up a slight, but not bad or severely large, imbalance between the two. You may not be able to pick it up with silicon tips, I know I surely wouldn't be able to myself.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #40 of 71
Yes, I regard the mids as recessed in comparison to the treble and bass presentation but they are still there. I know little about the technical side of this stuff, but I thought that the TF10's were known to have a "U" shaped sound signature? Or is that a "V"? Whatever, I'm just describing what I hear, and we do agree that it's hard to make a meaningful comparison between what we're both hearing when you are using comply foam tips, and I am using silicons.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #41 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MGLDyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another questions I have is this: Do different tips offer better/worse isolation? Specifically, the Sony hybrids which were recommended... One of the reasons I got IEMs was to combat having to hear people's "s" words in public. I draw in public a lot and some people pronounce their "s" words in a way that nauseates me. Probably some of you guys have the same quirk. These IEMs have helped a lot, but I can still hear the "s" (sibilance?) sometimes. So would different tips be helpful?

I had to chuckle while reading this. I think this mostly explains the phenomenon of some people hearing intolerable sibilance with some earphones, and others not knowing what in the world they're talking about. It comes down to personal sensitivity and idiosyncrasy. I'm sure there are some earphones so poorly-made that nearly everyone would be bothered by their harsh sibilance, but when we're talking about the top 5-6 IEMs, I think people need to hear them for themselves.

As for your question, I find the bi-flange tips that you can get on eBay to isolate the best, although they're uncomfortable if inserted at the wrong angle or when lying down. Sony hybrids isolated fine for me, but a little less.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #43 of 71
My comply tips just arrived. If i push the TF10's in right in, the bass becomes muddier and very boomy (waaay too much from me - then again, i'm used to my K701s
tongue.gif
). However, my lord they are comfier with the comply tips O_O

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #44 of 71
Last night I found the reason why these sounded so off to me -- the polarity of my cables was reversed the entire time. Taught me to be wary of posts that tell people the "right way" to align the cables for earphones with detachable cables. Soundstage, mids, and highs are back. I can't imagine how I could listen to these before.

Anyone who does the flip mod and finds their TF10s extremely lacking should double check the cable polarities, as this could mean the difference between giving these up or keeping them.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #45 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtsai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night I found the reason why these sounded so off to me -- the polarity of my cables was reversed the entire time. Taught me to be wary of posts that tell people the "right way" to align the cables for earphones with detachable cables. Soundstage, mids, and highs are back. I can't imagine how I could listen to these before.

Anyone who does the flip mod and finds their TF10s extremely lacking should double check the cable polarities, as this could mean the difference between giving these up or keeping them.

+1, night and day difference if u get the polarities wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back