Are there any headphones that can be open or closed depending on preference?
Jun 19, 2012 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mkygod

100+ Head-Fier
I want to know if there are any headphones that can be easily changed from open to close design and vice versa. 

For instance, something like a swivel backplate on the outside of the phones that can be rotated to reveal open ports/vents and can be immediately closed when needed depending on the situation. I use headphones at work and there are times when i want the sound isolation, and times when i do not.

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 14
It seems such a simple concept; I wonder why it hasn't been done (from what i know). Aside from practical usage mentioned above, It would greatly affect soundstage (obviously) and would be like having 2 headphones for the price of one.

If done wrong, i suppose moving pieces in a headphone can create unwanted vibrations/resonances, but i think that can be mitigated with the right design. Maybe use of rubber insert materials to help with seal and dampening

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 14
Yes!

The FA-003 is a closed design and you can switch out the back plate to make it a FA-002 which an open design.

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 14
Beyerdynamic announced they would bring such a product to market.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 14
Sony MDR-777LP; they're not super well received iirc. You can see measurements:
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/mdr-d777sl.html

They're called "Altus HD" in some markets, I'm thinking there's a Japan and a US version of the same headphone. But I may be mistaken.

There's also been a few Headphile customs that do this, I'm sure if you contacted and asked really nice (and paid for it) you could get it. No guarantees it'll sound right. And the Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 can be switched from open to closed like the Fischers; if you buy the woodie panels from Headphile (or build your own out of whatever material you like).

I don't think, ultimately, such a design is going to be the best of both worlds. You have to remember that a good open headphone is designed as an open headphone from the start, and a good closed headphone is designed as a closed headphone from the start. So you'll be changing a whole lot about the sound when you make this switch. That isn't to say it's doomed to fail as an idea, I just don't think it's going to get exactly what you're hoping for. The easiest way I can explain this would be to have you take a good closed headphone and pop the cups off and listen to it again, or cover up the openings on an open headphone (you can do this with your hands or tape).

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Well you're probably right. A headphone that can do both is likely not going to sound as good or refined as a comparable headphone designed from the start to be opened or closed. However,  despite the compromises, i think the practical application is definitely still there.

Regarding, the Sony MDR-777LP, is that Open/Close switch an electrical switch or a mechanical switch?  If it is an electrical switch, then that probably just simulates a closed or open design.

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 14
Well you're probably right. A headphone that can do both is likely not going to sound as good or refined as a comparable headphone designed from the start to be opened or closed. However,  despite the compromises, i think the practical application is definitely still there.

Regarding, the Sony MDR-777LP, is that Open/Close switch an electrical switch or a mechanical switch?  If it is an electrical switch, then that probably just simulates a closed or open design.

It's mechanical, it opens or closes a diaphragm in the ear-piece. It's not DSP.

I still say try this out with a pair of open or closed cans at home, and get an idea of what you're actually talking about. I'm not doubting that it's plausible, but I don't see it as practical.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 14
The Yamaha YH-5M has removable caps that essentially turn them into open backs.  Aesthetically speaking, it's one my favorite headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back