Are the Sony R10 really that good?
Jul 29, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #16 of 82
The R10 is the right setup can compete almost head to head with the Orpheus system. IMO, they are certainly the best sounding dynamics headphone I've hearding following by the Qualia, K1000, L3000, PS-1, HP-1000s, and ED.9. They are very difficult to driver, therefore, save some money for a very good amplification as well as source. They seem to really love my SDS-SE.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #17 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder why no one has been able to match the R10's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who likes the Qualia over the R10?

I personally feel Sony outdid themselves, but I know I am in the minority. There was talk at one point of Sony making a 1K$ headphone, I wonder what happend to that? No, I prefer the Qualia...for most things. That being said I am saving my pennies
rolleyes.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 82
I didn't listen to the R10 much but it was a pretty outstanding headphone. Keep in mind that the bass will be weaker than a good # of other top notch headphones and it will not be as suited to rock as the same headphones. I'm not sure that I will prefer it over Qualias, but when my pair comes in we'll see.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #20 of 82
Quote:

I loved my Qualia 010's, but when it came time to sell one (unfortunately) the Qualias went and the R-10's stayed. They are my "if you had to make a choice...desert island" headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure they sound amazing, providing you have a sufficiently good source and amplifier.

I listened last night for 3 hours, right out of a 5.5G Ipod and the sounded pretty darn good without the help of audio aids.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #21 of 82
Quote:

The 010 is a terrific headphone that requires a lot of hand-holding before it sounds right. First of all, you need the proper fit, which is easier said than done, and has proved to be completely elusive to some people. Next you need the right associated equipment, mostly source-wise, to complement the Qualias. Once you get it, you are rewarded with speaker-like sound and knife-like precision. If not, you will be eternally frustrated with them.

The R10's are super-comfortable, and sound great out of just about anything. Even a vintage Marantz reciever can work when paired with a decent source. Of course they scale up from there. Completely different sound than the Qualias, though. Not the most extended, but midrange to die for.

In fact, the two are quite complementary in terms of achieving high-quality sound with very different characteristics. I say, get both!

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #22 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened last night for 3 hours, right out of a 5.5G Ipod and the sounded pretty darn good without the help of audio aids.

Of course. My GS1000 sounds wonderful out of a Zen Vision M. I have no doubt that the R10 is just as great with portable sources. I was only saying that you will get the most out of your headphones with a proper source and amplifier. In my opinion anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #23 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't listen to the R10 much but it was a pretty outstanding headphone. Keep in mind that the bass will be weaker than a good # of other top notch headphones and it will not be as suited to rock as the same headphones. I'm not sure that I will prefer it over Qualias, but when my pair comes in we'll see.

Will we be treated to an extended comparison complete with glorious pictures?
eggosmile.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #25 of 82
I guess I'm a little different but although I do agree the high-end of the R10 is totally unbelievable... it lacked lower-end punch in my opinion, which really makes music emotive for me. So I enjoyed what it could do, but didn't fall in love with the sound signature. To each their own
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #26 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm contemplating saving up for a pair of Sony MDR-R10s. but the price tag seems just too much. Are these headphones really that good? I mean, do they trump all other headphones?

Dave (great name!
smily_headphones1.gif
), the r-10s and the sennheiser he90s (aka orpheus) are generally regarded as the top 2 cans here on head-fi, and indeed they are both very fine phones. in my opinion they are both overhyped and the prices that some ask for them are truly outlandish. there are any number of experienced head-fiers who prefer other phones that both cost less than these and are easier to find.

Jul 30, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #27 of 82
Perhaps these cans are overhyped but nevertheless how outlandish the asking price may be they still get sold ;p And you don't see immediate turn around though the # of HE90s that have changed hands in the last 3-5 months is pretty impressive. But given that only two owners have expressed apathy or disatisfaction (Jjcha wasn't all that down and 1911 just didn't listen to his much) of course the ones that don't speak poorly also are trying to sell you something. Still I feel that the real culprit is the financial burden of having ~6-8k sunk in one pair of headphones. But who knows.

These headphones do sound good though but 4-8k good? You have to be your own judge of that and I don't think any group of people no matter how informed can tell any one person that it just won't be worth it to them.

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #28 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...But given that only two owners have expressed apathy or disatisfaction (Jjcha wasn't all that down and 1911 just didn't listen to his much) of course the ones that don't speak poorly also are trying to sell you something. Still I feel that the real culprit is the financial burden of having ~6-8k sunk in one pair of headphones. But who knows.

These headphones do sound good though but 4-8k good? You have to be your own judge of that and I don't think any group of people no matter how informed can tell any one person that it just won't be worth it to them.

They are not the only owners that have been disappointed but it comes with the territory. It's easy to be frustrated when you compare your new 8k$ He90 to a 1979 200$ Stax SR-Lambda and the Lambda does most things better, a lot better. The He90 is better but not that much better...

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #29 of 82
Well, value is truly in the eye of the beholder. I was smitten by the R10s the first time I heard them, and swore that if I ever got back into headphone listening, I would get a pair. I paid a hefty price for them, but IMO it was worth the expenditure. As others have suggested, they need equally first-rate stuff ahead of them to scale Everest, but even with more modest gear, they can still sound awe-inspiring. They ain’t goin’ nowhere.
eggosmile.gif

I also picked up a pair of Ultrasone Edition 9s, which I compared with the R10s recently in a brief review on the Ultrasone thread. They’re not quite in R10 territory in most respects, but they come amazingly close IMO, and actually surpass the Kings in a few areas, most notably in the low end.

Let me close by saying that the R10s aren’t perfect—no headphone is—but they come close enough for me, and when I die I’m being buried with ‘em. On my head, of course.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #30 of 82
So,. . . Where are you being buried? You know.. just so I could pay my respects. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back