Are the Sony R10 really that good?
Sep 9, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #76 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So,. . . Where are you being buried? You know.. just so I could pay my respects. . .

And how old are you?

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #77 of 82
having only heard them a few times and having never owned them i am going to say that for the person of average income a resounding "No." they are not even close to being worth it, regardless of how good they sound. for $6000+ you could assemble a pretty decent (i didn't say ultimate) system from the ground up. i don't think many would disagree on this point. if so, i think the better choice between overpriced collectible headphone and nothing else on one side and a complete system of very good quality on the other, i would choose the latter.

of course, if you are one of the fortunate ones to have acquired the R10 a long time ago at whatever price it was then (and i am assuming it was much less), or are very well off financially, then that changes things. but as it stands now, i have no real interest in getting one.

Sep 9, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #78 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
having only heard them a few times and having never owned them i am going to say that for the person of average income a resounding "No." they are not even close to being worth it, regardless of how good they sound. for $6000+ you could assemble a pretty decent (i didn't say ultimate) system from the ground up. i don't think many would disagree on this point. if so, i think the better choice between overpriced collectible headphone and nothing else on one side and a complete system of very good quality on the other, i would choose the latter.

of course, if you are one of the fortunate ones to have acquired the R10 a long time ago at whatever price it was then (and i am assuming it was much less), or are very well off financially, then that changes things. but as it stands now, i have no real interest in getting one.

I sure as hell don't disagree. My system cost me about $6000 and I seriously doubt anything could get better than this. Though, I have always been somewhat intrigued by the idea of such an expensive headphone. I'll probably wait a few years though before I jump the gun because I'm not paying $6000 for a headphone alone. Hopefully the price will drop to somewhat more affordable levels, but I'll probably go for a pair of O2 next summer instead and be happy with that.

Sep 9, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #79 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sure as hell don't disagree. My system cost me about $6000 and I seriously doubt anything could get better than this. Though, I have always been somewhat intrigued by the idea of such an expensive headphone. I'll probably wait a few years though before I jump the gun because I'm not paying $6000 for a headphone alone. Hopefully the price will drop to somewhat more affordable levels, but I'll probably go for a pair of O2 next summer instead and be happy with that.

Yeah....I had the same thought when I first got the L3000 a couple years ago...but after I've built a system around my R10....it is definitely worth the price. It is just more refined and has more refined presentation. Beside the HE90, I've yet to hear a more refined headphones than the R10.

Sep 9, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #80 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah....I had the same thought when I first got the L3000 a couple years ago...but after I've built a system around my R10....it is definitely worth the price. It is just more refined and has more refined presentation. Beside the HE90, I've yet to hear a more refined headphones than the R10.

Haha, yeah. Funny how stuff change.

Anyway. I hope the price on the R10s drop a bit. But then again, if it drops, it will be available to a larger crowd, which in turn might raise the bar to the same level as now. What a paradox...

Sep 9, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #82 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how old are you?

I am a critical care nurse and see a lot of death at times. It can help you to see the shortness of life and how delicate it can be. I am old enough to know that I will be around to listen to a few more tunes but I also realize if you really enjoy something and it doesn't hurt someone else and you can, then go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back