Are the Sony R10 really that good?
Aug 9, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #46 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rank the R-10 between the HE90 and Qualias. The HE90's are pure music and nothing else can beat that for me. The R-10's are quite impressive and are the only headphones I've heard that sound like they have built in crossfeed. I listened to them with a (I assume) non-optimal amp and they were bright as hell; I'm confident this can be corrected with the correct amp, though. The Qualias are a pair of phones I'd never keep around. The mids are among the worst I've ever heard.

There is no doubt that the Qualia belongs as the best dynamics headphone; however, they are very difficult to deal with given their fit and support from Sony. Unless you have a good fit, you won't hear what they can really do. When I heard Mulveling's Qualia, it took me nearly 20 mins just to find the right position. Plus the medium size headband is even too big for my skull. In the end, I decide not pursue them. They are great if they fit your head perfectly, however, they sound a lot worst with a bad fit.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #48 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can we actually buy Sony R10?

Ebay, some just sold for 6100 US dollars. They looked in nice condition the only drawback is I am not sure if that included shipping.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #49 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm convinced nothing could sound better than the UE10s

Probably so. UE10 is the best ever right?
rolleyes.gif
How about the UE11?
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #50 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably so. UE10 is the best ever right?
rolleyes.gif
How about the UE11?
wink.gif

I'm sure the ue11s are the bestestestest eveeeeer.......until they come up with 5 driver design.
wink.gif

But seriously, coming from custom iems, I would wholeheartedly recommend high-end rigs to everybody whos into iems. Highend iems offer great sounds and portability, but highend headphones can really change the way you enjoy music.
biggrin.gif

purk, I'm eagerly waiting for your daddy o' impressions!!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #51 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure the ue11s are the bestestestest eveeeeer.......until they come up with 5 driver design.
wink.gif

But seriously, coming from custom iems, I would wholeheartedly recommend high-end rigs to everybody whos into iems. Highend iems offer great sounds and portability, but highend headphones can really change the way you enjoy music.
biggrin.gif

purk, I'm eagerly waiting for your daddy o' impressions!!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

The UE11 originally had 5 drivers. But it was incredibly bass heavy. Way too much so. So I guess only 4 drivers were necessary.

-Ed

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #52 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ebay, some just sold for 6100 US dollars. They looked in nice condition the only drawback is I am not sure if that included shipping.

Well, considering they are never used they should be in nice condition.
wink.gif

Quote:

For the audiophile, a listening experience that will never be replicated. Brand new. Never used. Last pair from Themegifts.com.

The price were imo a bit on the high side. But probably what you have to pay for the last (?) NOS pair out there...

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #53 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, the he90s just makes me listen and enjoy the music without wanting to analyze everything like I do with other cans. I can see how you can improve on details, but boy, its just so "natural!"

As for 02s I've also heard them side to side with the he90, but I was not impressed at all - I felt almost claustrophobic with the 02, and simply cound't enjoy them. This comes from a basshead -so its definitely not the amount of bass 02 has over the he90. It just didn't sound right.

A person who I trust a lot enjoyed 01s a lot more than he90/o2, so I'm hoping that they would do for me as well. We'll see we'll see....

By the way, spritzer, are your main amps DIY? I was thinking about upgrading my amps sometime, but since you seem to like DIY more than the "famous" es1, I'm kinda thinking about asking someone to build a custom rig for me sometime in the future...

On a side note, dan, you should get a pair of o2s on your upgraded es1 rig and see how it fares to the he90. The comparison between the two was hands down he90 for me and several other 02 users on my rig.

I hope you compensated for the huge volume difference between the HE90 and O2s when you compared them. I agree they can be a bit claustrophobic if the arc is too tight but thats easy to fix by bending the arc. From a short audition most users will prefer the He90 but use each for a month or more in systems built for each and then report back. What was it that you found the He90 to do better then the SR-007? I'm always interested to read what other people hear in detail.

I find the SR-Ω to be far better then the He90 and the SR-007 is a clear step upwards, not only in sound quality but also in design and above all else reliability. Buying a SR-Ω is a huge gamble as the driver is very fragile and can break at any time and then there is no way to fix them. You can have Stax install Sr-007 drivers but then the phones aren't worth much.

My main amp is made by Headamp and has a few minor mods done by me but I have 4 new DIY amps planned plus a ESL distribution system for the display cases that will house my collection. With it I will be able to power all of me 'stats at the same time as well as keeping them charged. Needless to say the cases will have to be airtight.

The ES-1 doesn't interest me me the least as it would probably be more of a sidestep then a true upgrade and I can build a better designed amp, built to a much higher standard at a similar price.

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #54 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The R10 is the right setup can compete almost head to head with the Orpheus system. IMO, they are certainly the best sounding dynamics headphone I've hearding following by the Qualia, K1000, L3000, PS-1, HP-1000s, and ED.9. They are very difficult to driver, therefore, save some money for a very good amplification as well as source. They seem to really love my SDS-SE.

Definitely have to agree with this statement. The R10 paired with the RSA B52 fed by a Meridian CDP (Ray Samuels' personal setup) is the single greatest headphone listening experience that I've had. This includes the Orpheus and most Stax setups.

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #55 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The R-10's are quite impressive and are the only headphones I've heard that sound like they have built in crossfeed. I listened to them with a (I assume) non-optimal amp and they were bright as hell; I'm confident this can be corrected with the correct amp, though.

Wow. That's the only time I've ever seen/heard/imagined R10s and "bright as hell" in the same thought. I have no idea what amp that could have been, but straight to the garbage can it deserves to go!

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #56 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. That's the only time I've ever seen/heard/imagined R10s and "bright as hell" in the same thought. I have no idea what amp that could have been, but straight to the garbage can it deserves to go!

I've heard a couple such "garbage can" R10 frontends, and they both included a Z.....
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #57 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard a couple such "garbage can" R10 frontends, and they both included a Z.....
wink.gif

Really. That's a dang fine amp, too. If I'm picking up clues correctly, I'm very surprised. Though I've never heard it with R10s, and the only local head-fier who owned one was rude enough to sell it, I can't imagine it would add such an uncharacteristic brightness. Did you share the same impression as threEchelon? Have you heard R10s with other?

Aug 14, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #58 of 82
Yeah I dunno I'll track down an O2 to borrow but I don't feel like buying one.

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #59 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really. That's a dang fine amp, too. If I'm picking up clues correctly, I'm very surprised. Though I've never heard it with R10s, and the only local head-fier who owned one was rude enough to sell it, I can't imagine it would add such an uncharacteristic brightness. Did you share the same impression as threEchelon? Have you heard R10s with other?

I think I led you down the wrong path. I've not listened to the R10 with an Eddie Current amps. The device I was referring to is a source, although it can also have a built-in amp (though that was not the cause of my disgust at the time). Besides, if it were what I think you think it was, I would have written Z... ....
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back