Are the Hifiman RE0 the same as the Head Direct RE0?
Aug 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
Are they the same thing? And which one is the one people refer to when they say it sounds like and IEM equivalent to the K701 ie. cold and analytical?

On the Head Direct website (http://www.head-direct.com), the 'Head Direct' RE0 is $79 and the Hifiman RE0 (they call it the RE-ZERO) is $99 which would suggest that they are different. Yet, on the packaging pictures for the 'Head Direct' RE0 they apparently come in a box branded 'Hifiman'.

It's all very confusing. Can someone clear this up for me?

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 19
Head-Direct = HifiMan
RE-0 =/= RE-ZERO

RE-ZERO is a limited edition, RE-0 isn't; They don't sound the same as well.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 19
crap 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 19
Head Direct RE0 and Hifiman RE0 are the same thing. RE-ZERO is however not the same as RE0. The RE-ZERO is a limited edition of the RE0 which a slightly different sound signature. There are lot's written of both here on the forum.

EDIT: What they said.

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 19
They are the same thing.

-BUT-

The RE0 is different than the RE-ZERO. Very subtile differences though.

I believe the RE-ZERO is limited edition, as it will only have a certain amount made.

Checkout |joker|'s Multi-IEM review to read about both, and how they compare.

EDIT: (Wow I was late!)
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 19
There is a lot of win in this thread.

I do find the RE0 and RE-ZERO to be geared in a general sense the same way.  Both are super clean with a very tightly controlled note and well balanced frequency response.  Beyond that, they do start to differ a bit though.  The RE-ZERO has a more effortless dynamic range, a little more bass presence, better sound stage, more balanced frequency response, and more natural sound,   For $20, it does a lot of things better, not to mention working well off any low power player.  The tightly controlled note tends to make it a little too constrained (not effortless, less dynamic breadth) and lean (less full-bodied presence, thick in note) than I personally like, but it's a darn good product and at least in my eyes a worthwhile step up from the RE0.  While the RE-ZERO sounds a little lean, the RE0 sounded tiny and weak and really does require a rather robust amp to really drive it well.  I think the RE0 had better texture/articulation of the notes, but it's been about 2 years since I've owned a pair.  Despite the $20 difference in price for the RE-ZERO, not needing an amp to drive them is a money saver over the RE0.  Even with a budget option like the FiiO E5, you're still paying more for the RE0 in the end.

Aug 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
There is a lot of win in this thread.

I do find the RE0 and RE-ZERO to be geared in a general sense the same way.  Both are super clean with a very tightly controlled note and well balanced frequency response.  Beyond that, they do start to differ a bit though.  The RE-ZERO has a more effortless dynamic range, a little more bass presence, better sound stage, more balanced frequency response, and more natural sound,   For $20, it does a lot of things better, not to mention working well off any low power player.  The tightly controlled note tends to make it a little too constrained (not effortless, less dynamic breadth) and lean (less full-bodied presence, thick in note) than I personally like, but it's a darn good product and at least in my eyes a worthwhile step up from the RE0.  While the RE-ZERO sounds a little lean, the RE0 sounded tiny and weak and really does require a rather robust amp to really drive it well.  I think the RE0 had better texture/articulation of the notes, but it's been about 2 years since I've owned a pair.  Despite the $20 difference in price for the RE-ZERO, not needing an amp to drive them is a money saver over the RE0.  Even with a budget option like the FiiO E5, you're still paying more for the RE0 in the end.

if all this shall stand true in my ears , i will be real happy as i was between RE-0 and RE-ZERO , and finally bought the RE-ZERO

now i am horny as waiting for them to show up..good times.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 19
Really the adaptor is no issue for me.
i use the hard adaptor and its small enough not to be a problem.

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 19
It's hard not the like the RE-ZERO.  For as much of an anti-fan I have been with the RE0, I feel the RE-ZERO took some major steps forward in key areas.  I like them.  Are they godly?  No.  Are they great?  Sort of.  They're good.  They're worth their price tag.  They do some things really well.  They don't do a whole lot wrong, and that's just what made the RE0 so popular.  There aren't too many earphones under the $100 that I'd rather plop in my ear over the RE-ZERO.  They have worth.  Spend a little more though, and some killer options open up, options the RE-ZERO can't compete with.  Head-fi is a game called "how much are you willing to spend?"  

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #12 of 19
i agree.
There's not much to fault with the RE-ZERO

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Last time I checked head-direct.com they no longer stocked the RE-ZERO.

EDIT:  my bad, they do :)

Yes they have a "limited edition" of 1000 and they'v been on sale since July,
Its anyones guess how long it'll take them to sell 1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back