Are iPods a no-go for audiophiles?
Jun 28, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #18 of 329
I must admit that I am partial to Apple products.  They're intuitive, well designed, and I have been using their products since the mid 90s so the familiarity is something that is worth a lot to me.  My current iPod is the 1G touch (which is not known for having great SQ, actually on the contrary) and I have to say that compared to my other DAPs (other iPods, Sansa Fuze, Sony MD players,) I find the iPod 1G touch to be the most neutral (however it does have its flaws with lower frequencies.)  I actually don't understand why the Fuze gets so much praise (other than it being able to support FLAC,) and Sony is notorious for coloring their DAPs (at least consumer-level gear.)  I find the iPods neutrality appealing -- especially with IEMs like Shures that are warm.  The ability to add a LOD and an amp makes the iPod attractive.  Admittedly, the Fuze offers the same convenience and is able to accept media cards and supports FLAC -- I use them both equally.  It really just depends on your setup.  For the money, iPods are certainly not the best option, but I happen to love the iTunes interface, the iPod's interface and the way it works so seamlessly with my Macbook.   

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 329

Quote:
When I watch people on the news buying ipods and iphones at their launch date I look down on them with a sense of humor....

That actually makes me sick as well, and I happen to love Apple products.  I'm not a dumb consumer, though.  I do my research and wait until the price comes down before I buy.  

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 329
I was replying to the post before me which said 'I love ipods' - the same kind of thing as guys buying them at their launch date. It just makes no sense, why buy a crap product, cause you're in love with it? I love my RH1 and other stuff but it's not an average bad sounding product like ipods. It looks good and sounds great.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #22 of 329
Quote:
I was replying to the post before me which said 'I love ipods' - the same kind of thing as guys buying them at their launch date. It just makes no sense, why buy a crap product, cause you're in love with it? I love my RH1 and other stuff but it's not an average bad sounding product like ipods. It looks good and sounds great.

So why is it a crap product? And why is liking a product "the same kind of thing" as camping out at launch?

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #23 of 329
I think the ipod is a crap product because of it's metallic dull sound and simple design and colours and shapes - especially the useless hugely numbered apps. Why else would he say he loved this product if he wasn't one of those guys that I see buying ipods at their launch. I think it's stupid that these guys love this product and I'm making a point.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 329
Well, what was on topic was full of information. Thanks everyone.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #26 of 329
Quote:
I think the ipod is a crap product because of it's metallic dull sound

Care to DBT it with another player? Or if you have measurements that clearly show a metallic dull sound (maybe your iPod is rusting?), then I'll take those too.

and simple design

So the more complex and confusing a simple music player is the better, right?

and colours

What color do you like your complex DAPs to be?

and shapes

What shape do you like your confusing DAPs to be?

- especially the useless hugely numbered apps.

I thought you didn't like simple. And congratulations, you are perhaps the only person I know who wishes customers could do less with their Apple products.

Why else would he say he loved this product if he wasn't one of those guys that I see buying ipods at their launch.

Because maybe he likes his iPod? I know, I know, I'm totally chasing flies here.

I think it's stupid that these guys love this product and I'm making a point.

I think it's stupid that you hate this product, and I'm making a much better point. Not to offend your reasoning, of course.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #27 of 329
I don't know, I'm just going by my image of the product and just how trash it sounds. If it sounds trash which is the main point of a DAP (sound) then I guess the rest of it is really just rubbish, or 'average' as well.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #28 of 329

Quote:
I think the ipod is a crap product because of it's metallic dull sound

Perhaps true, if you're pushing some HE-5s with one, but certainly not my experience with good IEMs or using a portable with a LOD.

and simple design and colours and shapes

This is a plus in my book.

especially the useless hugely numbered apps.

I use very few apps on my Touch, limited to Remote, Pandora, etc. I ignore the others, and they ignore me.

Why else would he say he loved this product if he wasn't one of those guys that I see buying ipods at their launch.

Perhaps because he thinks they are simple, good-sounding devices that largely do what they are supposed to do.

I think it's stupid that these guys love this product and I'm making a point.

You're free to think whatever you want is stupid. I'd suggest a little more reasoning behind that opinion, though.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #29 of 329

Quote:

Umm, how is saying you like a product the same as buying a product at launch date. I (well my family) love Sony stuff. Is my house filled with Sony stuff? More or less. Do I camp out for Sony products? No. I love Sony because I've never had one of their products crap out on me. My Vaio has lasted 4 years and still works wonderfully. The Sony TV in my room has been working since I was in Preschool. Don't make generalizations. This is your first day here. Don't make enemies.

Why is it a crap product? Make better points than the above. Mine must be magical. It sounds decent and has been working for 3 years.

It's totally possible to buy a product AFTER it has been launched.

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #30 of 329
The way I see it many people try and avoid iPods either because of a personal vendetta against Apple, they are using windows and being chained to iTunes isn't pleasant, they want more control over their players (eg, EQ, better file support), they have the highest focus on SQ and straight up overlook them or don't want to be seen with a DAP that's bought by the masses.

Sure the sound quality may not be as good as others players on the market but I think too many people are snobby and jump on any oppurtunity to bash the players.

For the record I haven't used a iPod as a DAP for nearly two years now, but I recently bought a iPod 5.5g 80gb for a large capacity FLAC player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back