Are iPods a no-go for audiophiles?
Jul 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #106 of 329
Ipods are ok. Itunes sucks, seriously I own an ipod and I don't like being a slave to it. Also, all the uploading restrictions are lame. Apple just likes to control everything. I'm not a fan of Microsoft, but I'm happy that Apple at least doesn't control the computer market (yet.)

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #107 of 329

Quote:
Thanks. I totally don't know how to read more than the second half of a sentence 
rolleyes.gif

I was pointing out that they have a big advantage over Apple in the EQ. Also, last time I checked I get sound out of my Clip+ so it drives something, don't know why a portable has to power a full-sized headphone when most everyone is going to be using IEMs and portable phones.

It's like the whole Lossless vs. lossy debate for portables. Portable music has a single purpose, and that's to provide good sound on the go. Not the best sound possible at the expense of battery power/pocket space.

Lol, np.  You never know.  
wink_face.gif
  Also, I don't think everyone has a set definition for portability.  I personally have 2 portable setups atm.  

Clip-->E5-->M6 focus on working out

Sflo2-->Arrow (when I get it)-->MD/M50 focus on sound but sedentary portability

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #108 of 329

Quote:

It's like the whole Lossless vs. lossy debate for portables. Portable music has a single purpose, and that's to provide good sound on the go. Not the best sound possible at the expense of battery power/pocket space.

Agreed 100%.
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #109 of 329

Quote:
What pictures? I'm pretty sure there are still a good amount of people still using them. Myself included. The iPods actually sound decent...other than bass rolloff, they're neutral. Not sure about the first gen Touch though, but the third sounds decent. And I thought the Classic sounded okay. I have a Video and Rockbox and I haven't bothered to get anything better. I probably will admittedly get a J3 or maybe even something totally different but non Apple once I get some disposable money to blow after other audio priorities.

Not sure what bass roll off you are talking about - unless it is an iPod from 2007 and earlier. Since then, iPods are across the board pretty amazing. If you want bass roll off, go Cowon, iRiver, Zune, HiSound, old iPods, Trekstor, Rio - the list goes on. 

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #110 of 329

Quote:
Not sure what bass roll off you are talking about - unless it is an iPod from 2007 and earlier. Since then, iPods are across the board pretty amazing. If you want bass roll off, go Cowon, iRiver, Zune, HiSound, old iPods, Trekstor, Rio - the list goes on. 

That's what I meant, sorry should have said that.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #111 of 329
^Bass roll off on a Cowon? Like an S9? If I where to test this, I would use an equalizer to make a portable player, say an S9 and an iTouch, focus on the bass frequencies... set the S9 to X-Bass, and the iTouch to Bass Boost. Then I would play a bass heavy song on some bass heavy phones. Let's use "Imma Be" by the Black Eyed Peas, and play it through some Koss PortaPro's. 

Cowon S9:
Thick bass thumping into the ears. Sub-bass easily felt on the temples. Treble still audibly apparent. No distortion, my music actually sounds bassy. No problems here, now on to the next one...

Apple iTouch:
Rice Krispies! I How did they get into my music? Snap, Crackle and Pop all seem to be present! Sounds somewhat like an overloaded amplifier clipping, or a crunching guitar amp... Hmm, something is definitely missing,  what it could be? Bass roll off, sure sounds like it; an overloaded DAC, probably; could this device be considered a no-go for audiophiles? Well, I can definantly see why people say that. In fact I say it too. "iPods are a no-go for audiophiles".

A purist, as in one who doesn't use an equalizer, could say this is all just a huge midbass hump, and if so, I'd like to ask: "How much more terrible could this possibly sound if I used deeper bass?" Equalizers are there for those who have headphones nice enough to pay attention, DAPs strong enough to effect the change, and those who are reasonable enough to try it.

The above hypothetical test was actually conducted and the results where just as obvious with an iPhone 3g, and the newest Nano. It has also been done with the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, and my KDE/250. If this test gives me these results, what other test could I possibly conduct to prove things the other way? Maybe I am not doing something right? Or is it true that I need a good $300 amp in addition to the $300 Apple product just to make it sound as good as my poor old S9?

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #112 of 329
@stevens: People have stated that when using the Bass Boost function on iPods, you have to manually lower the volume of the song in mp3gain or something of the like then do it. It's similar to lowering the preamp on an equalizer that's on computer audio programs (iTunes,Media Monkey, etc.)

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #114 of 329
No, not at all.
I consider myself an audiophile and am very well pleased with my iPods.  Great units!
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #116 of 329
Compared to my laptop with Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio the iPod is very shallow compressed and metallic.  I still love it and will buy a portable amp to carry around in my backpack around campus to make it sound a little better. It is the best option for price and size.  Also resale and trading is easy with an iPod because you don't have to be an audiophile to enjoy it.  My 5 year old cousin has his own full of Disney songs.

There is nothing wrong with an iPod but keep in mind it is portable.  It doesn't have to be top of the line blow your mind hardware.  Just something that holds your library and powers your headphones.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #117 of 329

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with an iPod but keep in mind it is portable.  It doesn't have to be top of the line blow your mind hardware.  Just something that holds your library and powers your headphones.

There is one thing.....no custom EQ.
L3000.gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #119 of 329

Quote:
Well the newer iPods have EQ's in it but just the stock ones.  iTunes does have it though.

Nothing is perfect haha

Having it in iTunes does me no good though. I have different headphones that I use with my players, and a couple of them need some tweaking, and a couple of the others don't. So my players need to have a custom EQ.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back