Are Beats Studio's worth $200?
Jan 31, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #106 of 177
Jan 31, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #107 of 177

Quote:
You weren't aware that this forum is a bit hostile towards Beats, and Monster in general? The most popular thread around here is for Beats bashing.

beats bashing will result in a thread to be closed. and i find monster products to be great like the turbines and miles

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #109 of 177
I think the P5's are a better choice than the beats, I think they look great and sound great. I actually recommended it to one of my friends as a gift for her cousin instead of the beats and they both seemed satisfied with the purchase. 

Honestly when I ask people why they have beats they say that it's because they sound great and then I ask them if they can tell the difference in sound quality between their beats and my m50's most people say they can't. So if you're one of those people who can't tell what good sound quality is then get whatever headphone you think looks best and enjoy your music. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #110 of 177
beats bashing will result in a thread to be closed. and i find monster products to be great like the turbines and miles

Really, is that right? Lots of bashing of Beats around here, and with pretty good reason, tbh.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #111 of 177

Quote:
I am pretty recent to this site. I joined because I had gotten into headphones and I really liked them. But I'm not so sure anymore.

I apologize on behalf of the hostile Head-Fiers here. Here in Head-Fi sound quality is put first above all else and that is why the Beats are frequently bashed here. But a headphone's worth is not just about the sound quality, there are other elements that is taken into consideration - looks, build quality, comfort, etc. The Beats Studio in my opinion have a B grade build quality (easily scratched), an okay bass heavy sound quality, mediocre comfort and good (subjective) looks. $200 just for the looks and an okay SQ? I personally wouldn't recommend them.

But if you like them, go for them! It's purely your choice. But remember after a while when you realise that their sound quality is not worth the money, don't blame us because you have been warned. These people are just trying to help. Maybe a little too much but hey. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #112 of 177

Quote:
Really, is that right? Lots of bashing of Beats around here, and with pretty good reason, tbh.

I've been on Head-Fi long enough to learn that intentional mass bashing of any product is not acceptable. With that said, for people who continue to bash on products like Beats on a regular basis will be monitored and get possible warnings and may get Banned. Believe me or not, i've seen many threads closed because of product bashing and accounts banned as well.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #113 of 177
There is an article over on Inner Fidelity that compares a large number of the celebrity endorsed headphones if you're interested: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/celebrity-headphone-deathmatch.  

Long story short: he finds the V-Moda M80 and the Skullcandy Mix Master Mike are about the best of the bunch in terms of sound quality.  The V-Modas also run about $200, your stated price target, while the Skullcandy cans retail around $300.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #114 of 177

Quote:

I apologize on behalf of the hostile Head-Fiers here. Here in Head-Fi sound quality is put first above all else and that is why the Beats are frequently bashed here. But a headphone's worth is not just about the sound quality, there are other elements that is taken into consideration - looks, build quality, comfort, etc. The Beats Studio in my opinion have a B grade build quality (easily scratched), an okay bass heavy sound quality, mediocre comfort and good (subjective) looks. $200 just for the looks and an okay SQ? I personally wouldn't recommend them.

But if you like them, go for them! It's purely your choice. But remember after a while when you realise that their sound quality is not worth the money, don't blame us because you have been warned. These people are just trying to help. Maybe a little too much but hey. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. You seem pretty kind. But yeah, I'm not going with beats, I was never completely set on them. I would always fall in love with something and burn it out within a few days.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #115 of 177
I too, would like to apologize on behalf of a forum I previously really liked. Usually you get good information on here, and I can credit most of my audio knowledge to things I've learned on here. That said, the people in here tend to be the definition of "elitist". Mention things besides sound quality, or that you are considering a pair of headphones like the Beats (which, in all honesty, are hardly the worst sounding headphones out there, even according to Jude himself), and you will (as you said) get sand kicked in your face. Really guys, this kid is a new member and (potentially) a future audiophile and all I've see you do is insult him and offer recommendation after recommendation that really have nothing to do with what he wants from a headphone.This isn't really giving him a good reason to get into audio. Some of you really need to get off your high horse and remember that at one point, you too had known nothing about audio and, depending on your age, may have considered buying a pair of headphones like the Beats. Now, back to the original question. No the Beats are not worth $200. In terms of sound, they are worth about 100 bucks, plus the fact that they have noise cancellation. A lot of people forget that they have noise cancellation. Look at the prices most noise cancelers go for. As for a good headphone that doesn't look completely terrible, fit in your price range, and sound great without an amp: the M50s, as mentioned. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #116 of 177
i have read this whole thread and i have to agree that most of the members on here where being rude and bashing you for wanting to buy the beats. however, you where also saying you where basically completely settled on the beats and didn't want any of the other offers due to "looks", "name", and whatnot, you where kind of stubborn to a point. 

there is no perfect combination out there for quality, design, and look, it just doesn't happen. 

the best option for you would be one of the headphones from the ultrasone line or the denon ah-d2000. either one will satisfy your bass needs and deliver sound quality that is way beyond that of the beats. however, the denon leak alot compared to most closed headphones.

another option would be to consider IEMS, they don't leak and have killer bass, especially the monster turbine series (the gold i have are bass monsters and sound extremely good for the price, definitely way better in SQ than the beats despite the fact that they're made by the same company. they cost about the same if not less than beats, look stylish, have a cool name, and have a lifetime warranty)

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #117 of 177

Quote:

i see so many things wrong with this post... you ASKED for suggestions and opinions about the Beats and other headphones... And I find it highly disrepectful to compare yourself to homeless people... I tried defending you but I found it highly difficult to cooperate with you because of the way you mix things up. 

+1

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #118 of 177
Nobody should be rude to you, or anyone else on here. I posted three links at the top of this forum which everyone should read -- especially the Posting Guidelines.

Quote:
I listen to bass heavy music, and I only listen to music for fun and joy, not for the BEST quality. If I wanted the best quality, I might've kept my AT's. And, no amps or DAC's, I don't have the money for those.

I'd suggest M80s, or, if you want a lot of visceral bass in the manner of having a nightclub on your head, the Crossfade LP-2s. They can even do custom artwork for the plates, so you can individualise them. 

Tyll's Celebrity Headphone Deathmatch on Innerfidelity is a good read otherwise. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #119 of 177
Rezound Sound, I too apologize for the harsh treatment from some of the posters in this thread.  Inexperience is never something to apologize for.  Asking questions, I feel, is an important way to learn.  I hope the trolls in this thread won't prevent you from becoming an active member in this forum.  There's a lot of good info and experienced members(who are quite nice) here.  If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to shoot me a pm.  Hope to see you around the forum, and sorry about your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #120 of 177

Quote:
I too, would like to apologize on behalf of a forum I previously really liked. Usually you get good information on here, and I can credit most of my audio knowledge to things I've learned on here. That said, the people in here tend to be the definition of "elitist". Mention things besides sound quality, or that you are considering a pair of headphones like the Beats (which, in all honesty, are hardly the worst sounding headphones out there, even according to Jude himself), and you will (as you said) get sand kicked in your face. Really guys, this kid is a new member and (potentially) a future audiophile and all I've see you do is insult him and offer recommendation after recommendation that really have nothing to do with what he wants from a headphone.This isn't really giving him a good reason to get into audio. Some of you really need to get off your high horse and remember that at one point, you too had known nothing about audio and, depending on your age, may have considered buying a pair of headphones like the Beats. Now, back to the original question. No the Beats are not worth $200. In terms of sound, they are worth about 100 bucks, plus the fact that they have noise cancellation. A lot of people forget that they have noise cancellation. Look at the prices most noise cancelers go for. As for a good headphone that doesn't look completely terrible, fit in your price range, and sound great without an amp: the M50s, as mentioned. 

things have changed since 2009 (the time when both of us joined)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back