Are Beats Studio's worth $200?
Jun 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #166 of 177
Quote:
It depends on what you're looking for. I love the way they look and would almost pay the $200 just for that. But in the end the bass drowns out everything else (which some people love). 

So if you care about only bass and style, the Beats Studios might be a good fit for you.

Really i will pick B&W P5 & K550 both prices about 299$ anytime than buying Studio.
K550 got cool metal appearance, B&W P5 got unique premium appearance. But they got "better SQ" at any level.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #171 of 177
I am not sure this is where I should post this but it is related to Beats and I need help. Let me explain my situation so anyone that would like to provide guidance is welcome to do so. I have a 12 year old son that said "Dad I don't want much for Christmas this year just buy me a pair of Beats and I will be happy. So I went to Best Buy and tested all the models they had on display. Just to let you know I am not an audiophile but I do like good quality sound and I usually know it when I hear it. The beats I heard I did not like they sounded like the mids and highs were drowned out by the bass. Now to mention what I like to hear is good bass with clear mids and highs to where I go wow it sounds like it is live. Sorry for my descriptions but not good at putting it into words I guess. Anyway I wasn't impressed. I also did research on the Beats and decided I would like for a better pair of cans for him and start him out with some quality. So I came across the sound magic and the reviews sounded very good then came across the PSB MU4 1 and reviews sounded awesome. I went to Best Buy to listen to them and they sounded good but didn't knock my socks of. but kept reading about them and figured they were better than Beats. So I had been talking to my son and he said he didn't have to have Beats and he didn't just want the cans to look cool he wants quality. So I took him to Best Buy and my first mistake was we walked by the Beats isle and I said hey you want to listen to the Beats since we are here. So we did and he loved the sound then I thought myself to be a fool why did I do this. So I took him back to Magnolias to listen to the PSBs and he hated them. They also had P7s he did not like them and they had several other high end brand which he said they were uncomfortable. He is not stuck on Beats Studio. Oh and let me say I haven't listened to a headphone that I have been impressed with either but I know there is something out there that is better and I really don't want to buy the Beats since I know what they are like and have read so many horrible reviews. Another thing I want to mention is I have a friend that just bought a pair of Sony 1As and he loves them I listed to them with FLAC files and still wasn't that impressed. I was talking with another friend about this now I am 53 and he said his life is music he plays the guitar and has always played and listened to music. He said I can't hear music like I used to when I was young and it made sense maybe my ears do not work like they used to. Anyway I am frustrated with all of the research that I have done and I am not any closer to finding a pair of headphones for my son. I actually want to use them too when he is not :). Do I just buy him the Beats like he wants or do I continue searching. My price is $300.00.

Sorry for the novel but I want everyone to know what I have been through.

Thank you,
Nomadtech

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #172 of 177
  I am not sure this is where I should post this but it is related to Beats and I need help. Let me explain my situation so anyone that would like to provide guidance is welcome to do so. I have a 12 year old son that said "Dad I don't want much for Christmas this year just buy me a pair of Beats and I will be happy. So I went to Best Buy and tested all the models they had on display. Just to let you know I am not an audiophile but I do like good quality sound and I usually know it when I hear it. The beats I heard I did not like they sounded like the mids and highs were drowned out by the bass. Now to mention what I like to hear is good bass with clear mids and highs to where I go wow it sounds like it is live. Sorry for my descriptions but not good at putting it into words I guess. Anyway I wasn't impressed. I also did research on the Beats and decided I would like for a better pair of cans for him and start him out with some quality. So I came across the sound magic and the reviews sounded very good then came across the PSB MU4 1 and reviews sounded awesome. I went to Best Buy to listen to them and they sounded good but didn't knock my socks of. but kept reading about them and figured they were better than Beats. So I had been talking to my son and he said he didn't have to have Beats and he didn't just want the cans to look cool he wants quality. So I took him to Best Buy and my first mistake was we walked by the Beats isle and I said hey you want to listen to the Beats since we are here. So we did and he loved the sound then I thought myself to be a fool why did I do this. So I took him back to Magnolias to listen to the PSBs and he hated them. They also had P7s he did not like them and they had several other high end brand which he said they were uncomfortable. He is not stuck on Beats Studio. Oh and let me say I haven't listened to a headphone that I have been impressed with either but I know there is something out there that is better and I really don't want to buy the Beats since I know what they are like and have read so many horrible reviews. Another thing I want to mention is I have a friend that just bought a pair of Sony 1As and he loves them I listed to them with FLAC files and still wasn't that impressed. I was talking with another friend about this now I am 53 and he said his life is music he plays the guitar and has always played and listened to music. He said I can't hear music like I used to when I was young and it made sense maybe my ears do not work like they used to. Anyway I am frustrated with all of the research that I have done and I am not any closer to finding a pair of headphones for my son. I actually want to use them too when he is not :). Do I just buy him the Beats like he wants or do I continue searching. My price is $300.00.

Sorry for the novel but I want everyone to know what I have been through.

Thank you,
Nomadtech

The most important thing to keep in mind is that your son will be listening to these headphones, not you.  The next thing to keep in mind is the general demographic that the Beats are marketed to.  They are not marketed towards fathers and real musicians, but rather a whole different demographic of teenagers and everyday consumers.  The brand is an icon on itself and so much money is spent towards marketing the product (just walk into a store and look at the Beats booth vs any of the other testing booths).  They are not made for people serious about music (you can google pictures of Dr. Dre, not even he wears them in the studio), but rather consumers who enjoy brand power and asesthetics. I personally don't like the look of them, but I'd much rather wear them at school than a pair of Sony 7506s, for example.

With that being said, perhaps the headphones you've had him test are just not his style.  Sound is subjective, and you can't convince a basshead to don a pair of Grados, for example.  Perhaps try to see if you can find more bassy headphones for him to try, like the Vmoda M100.

I'm glad that your son seems to be open about what he wants to get, but at the end of the day he is going to be the one using them so as long as he is happy then you should be happy too :)

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #173 of 177
Wow SwordKnight,

That is really good advice. You have just made me feel better regarding this. It has been a weight on my shoulders for some time now. I really didn't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong headphones for him. I will have him test the Vmoda M100 headphones. He tried the P7 and the K550s and for some reason he didn't like them.

Thank you very much,

Nomadtech

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #174 of 177
  Wow SwordKnight,

That is really good advice. You have just made me feel better regarding this. It has been a weight on my shoulders for some time now. I really didn't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong headphones for him. I will have him test the Vmoda M100 headphones. He tried the P7 and the K550s and for some reason he didn't like them.

Thank you very much,

Nomadtech

Just keep in mind that being "right" or "wrong" when it comes to something like headphones is very subjective :).  Are beats "wrong" for most of the people who come to this forum? Most likely, yes. But they are also most likely "right" for consumers who want something that looks cool and recognizable.  It's kind of like how a lot of people are really into Starbucks even though their coffee is overpriced and not that great; it makes up in accessibility and presentation.  The Starbucks logo is almost iconic these days, and so are the Beats.  I also don't know if you've ever actually unboxed a set of Beats before, but they come with so many accessories and the presentation really makes you feel like you're buying something special.  Some other audio companies with a superior product don't do nearly as much marketing and presenting as Beats do.

I've never heard the P7 or the K550s, but I believe that they are more flat and neutral. Kids generally don't want accuracy: they want excitement.  The M100s are well-known and popular for their bass, but they aren't as artificial about it as Beats are.

Hopefully this helps you out!

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #175 of 177

What I meant by right or wrong is I didn't want to make a choice and have him unhappy with the headphone that he ends up with. Your description of what kids generally want seems right on with my son. I will let him test both and let him decide. He is a very smart young man and will consider all the options. I think by your description and the reviews that I read the M100 have a great chance of being picked. At  least he has a solid headphone to compare to.

I appreciate your input very much.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #176 of 177
What I meant by right or wrong is I didn't want to make a choice and have him unhappy with the headphone that he ends up with. Your description of what kids generally want seems right on with my son. I will let him test both and let him decide. He is a very smart young man and will consider all the options. I think by your description and the reviews that I read the M100 have a great chance of being picked. At  least he has a solid headphone to compare to.

I learn my lesson from my woman. If she is happy then I am happy as well.

Buy something that your son like, if he is happy yiu will be happy daddy.

And at his age he will love beats sound signature. And all teens have beats, go with the flow. :)

If he grow up yoy can buy him grado.
Grado 80e sounds very good for the price, sounds 100 times better than beats and its under $100usd.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #177 of 177

What I meant by right or wrong is I didn't want to make a choice and have him unhappy with the headphone that he ends up with. Your description of what kids generally want seems right on with my son. I will let him test both and let him decide. He is a very smart young man and will consider all the options. I think by your description and the reviews that I read the M100 have a great chance of being picked. At least he has a solid headphone to compare to.

No worries! Let me know how it goes. PM me if you need to :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back