Are Beats Studio's worth $200?
Jan 31, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #121 of 177
I don't think any apologies are necessary. Welcome to the internet, where people gloss over something and suddenly have a strong opinion about it and then feel the necessity to voice it. I just do my best to be helpful but this is the reality of the internet. That some people feel the need to apologize is pretty amazing, truth be told. 

But anyway, there have been enough people with suggestions and advice. If you're still undecided I think you should start a new thread with new priorities, and maybe a narrowed down list because the title for this thread is troll bait. If you're already decided then that'd be cool too. 

I'd still put my vote in for the Mix Master Mike's for you. They're 300 USD rather than 200 USD though, but most Skullcandy headphones are built very sturdily and they have positive reviews almost anywhere they're reviewed. Reviews obviously can't be trusted as well as an in-person listen, but if you search out a wide range of reviews then you'll be able to pick out commonalities. Not to mention, Jude and Tyll are very reputable headphone reviewers and they both have positive things to say. 

[eta: I should say that I myself haven't heard the MMM's but I have the Aviators, and both are part of Skullcandy's new in-house sound engineered line of products.]

Which actually brings me to my next point. This is a search for new headphones. You'd be well served to look on your own for different headphones and searching down different reviews for them, especially now that you've been suggested a small plethora of choices. Although I applaud you for asking, forum opinions will only get you so far. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #122 of 177

Quote:
I don't think any apologies are necessary. Welcome to the internet, where people gloss over something and suddenly have a strong opinion about it and then feel the necessity to voice it. I just do my best to be helpful but this is the reality of the internet. That some people feel the need to apologize is pretty amazing, truth be told.......

While that's true for many forums and other places around the net, Head-Fi is different.  Here, at least I feel, the forums have a more polite and respectful tone.  Yes, you do have spirited debate and discussion, but rarely does it get out of hand or personal.  This is a big reason(among others) why I'm active here.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #123 of 177
Has anyone mentioned the V-moda stuff to this young man?

they cost about the same as beats, look great, and sound good. They may not be ideal audiophile cans but they are kindof the best of both worlds; good sound and good looks.

This is all hearsay though, as I've never heard them.

**edit: I see that yes, they have been mentioned.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #124 of 177

Quote:
Has anyone mentioned the V-moda stuff to this young man?

they cost about the same as beats, look great, and sound good. They may not be ideal audiophile cans but they are kindof the best of both worlds; good sound and good looks.

This is all hearsay though, as I've never heard them.

**edit: I see that yes, they have been mentioned.

I actually had the V-Moda Crossfade LP2's. But I returned them because they leaked a lot of sound.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #125 of 177

I read through the whole thread last night and I noticed that people really started being hostile after this post:

Quote:
Sorry, but you haven't figured me out. You just made false assumptions based on what I said. You twisted my words just like the media does. I understand your position, but that doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it. 1. I am not set on getting Beats, they are just an option that I am considering. I have purchased two headphones and both I didn't like. I bought V-moda Crossfade LP2's, returned them because of leakage, and Audio Technica Ath-PRO700MK2, but I have to return them because they hurt my head. I am not a typical teenager, I prefer to do my research before buying something and committing myself to it. I want the best for myself, not just looks, or sound quality, but a balanced mixture of both. This started out as me asking if the BeatsStudio's were worth $200, but this thread developed into others and I having a discussion about other/better headphones. 

I mean you called him a dick...that's not really very nice at all. And then the media thing, which...I'm not even going to respond to. Granted, Phandrew was being kind of a sass.

And this seemed kind of annoying:
Quote:
The only thing with these is, I don't care that Dr. Dre endorsed them, I just like the name Beats, and the way they look. Along with the rest of the things I mentioned.

You go here to a serious forum asking if they're worth it, we answer it and give alternative so you use your money better, but you shoot them down because...their name isn't as cool. I mean seriously. It's not even an age thing since I started lurking here at 13 and joined at 15. If you get suggestions, there's a reason that they're recommending them over what you initially were looking at. It's a catch 22 situation. You either can use your money wisely and stop being so vain, or you can just throw money down a sink. Some people here lost their temper, majorly, but it's just because of your stubbornness. Don't look at it as a detraction, look it as a learning experience. People will get pissed off if you don't listen to legitimate facts. 

And have you really owned the LP2's? I find it really hard to believe that they leaked, especially more than Beats do, which leak almost as much as some open headphones. Did you put them on correctly?

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #127 of 177
I read through this thread and I think I saw maybe two or three rude posters. Everyone else tried to give advice, but their suggestions were ignored. It's bad form to ask for advice, then pretend that no one gave you any just because you didn't like the suggestions.

I also find it hard to believe that the LP2s leak sound like crazy. Pretty much any closed headphone should be fine on that point unless you listen at ridiculous volumes. If you are serious and not trolling, here's some headphones for you to do research on:
V-Moda M80s
Audio-Technica M50 (there's a limited edition one out right you that might look good to you)
Soul by Ludacris SL150 (got a decent review on InnerFidelity)
Skullcandy Aviators (tried them at best buy, they sounded decent to me)
House of Marley Exodus
Sennheiser HD25 Adidas
Phiaton MS400

Use the search function on Head-Fi to research. Also, you might want to read the Celebrity Headphone Deathmatch on InnerFidelity.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #128 of 177
I really have had a bad experience with skull candies. I know alot of people have had a great experience with the most recent models. Thats just my two cents about that brand. If your into NO leak in or out Decent quality IEM. Klipsch makes a few good ones and im sure there are better brands out there. (there are some really slick looking ones http://www.munitio.com/siti) Not the greatest sound BUT MY GOD 9mm BULLET HEADPHONES ARE THOSE NOT COOOLLLLLL

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #129 of 177
My Crossfade LP's leak a lot, and the overall design of the LP2s seem to be the same as the originals..so I would assume they would leak too.  The three "v" slits on each cup are the cause

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #130 of 177
OP, if you really like the sound of a pair of headphones, just go for it. If you're buying based on looks, just remember that what looks cool to you now might not look so cool to you 2-3 years later on. The more something tries to conform to current fashions, the more outdated they look when fashion changes. If you've ever looked at people dressed in the popular fashions of the previous decades and asked yourself, "What WERE they thinking?" Just remember that those people thought they looked cool at the time as well.

Although with the way tastes seem to go round in circles, anything current will probably be retro and thus "cool" again in 10-20 years, so who knows?

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #131 of 177

Quote:
OP, if you really like the sound of a pair of headphones, just go for it. If you're buying based on looks, just remember that what looks cool to you now might not look so cool to you 2-3 years later on. The more something tries to conform to current fashions, the more outdated they look when fashion changes. If you've ever looked at people dressed in the popular fashions of the previous decades and asked yourself, "What WERE they thinking?" Just remember that those people thought they looked cool at the time as well.

Although with the way tastes seem to go round in circles, anything current will probably be "cool and retro" again in 10-20 years, so who knows?

Remember kids, Being a hipster makes you look cool in 10 years but makes you look stupid in the now. DTKZ has changed my mind. Go with what you want.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #132 of 177
I'd sell them and buy 2+ pairs of better headphones, does that answer your question?

Also dude judge phones on their sound not on looks, What.....srsly?...

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #133 of 177

Quote:

Although with the way tastes seem to go round in circles, anything current will probably be retro and thus "cool" again in 10-20 years, so who knows?

Deep stuff here. Real talk too. Sadly i won't deny the fact that i'm still in the *cool* phase. And after reading this post of yours it makes me feel like i'll regret my purchases.
But hey whatever makes me happy for the time being i guess?

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #134 of 177

Quote:
Deep stuff here. Real talk too. Sadly i won't deny the fact that i'm still in the *cool* phase. And after reading this post of yours it makes me feel like i'll regret my purchases.
But hey whatever makes me happy for the time being i guess?

personally as a student in uni, I look for things that are a good value for the money and will keep me satisfied for the next 5 - 10 ish years. I've got the fiio e7/9 and the m50s, I'm looking to try an open can like the akg 701's or the HD650's and then I'm moving onto to DSLR's for photography. I'd rather skip the "cool" phase and get things that I'd value for a long time. 

But that's just me. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #135 of 177

Quote:

personally as a student in uni, I look for things that are a good value for the money and will keep me satisfied for the next 5 - 10 ish years. I've got the fiio e7/9 and the m50s, I'm looking to try an open can like the akg 701's or the HD650's and then I'm moving onto to DSLR's for photography. I'd rather skip the "cool" phase and get things that I'd value for a long time. 

But that's just me. 

+1. Better to get the better thing to start than making an impulse buy up front and regretting it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back