April Music Eximus DP-1
Apr 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #556 of 803
Quote:
The head amp in Eximus is not bad. Its "HIGH FIDELITY HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER" actually, so its far from bad. But I have a questions: Is that small chip (with small caps on its output) as good as expensive dedicated class A $1-2k devices? Is it smart (for me) to buy a $1-2k HPs for it? Is it save (if they really removed 10Ohm resistors)? I'm not sure.

It is depending on what amplifier are you looking into.  I personally find the Eximus Headamp to be very good but not great.  I did a lengthy listening comparison and found the Headamp GS-1 and Larocco Headcode DM to provide a noticeable improvements. For reference, the GS-1 & headcode is widely considered as one of the best SS amps ever made.  The GS-1 can be purchased used around 800 USD.  If you requrie a one box solution, the Eximus DP1 is impossible to beat.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #558 of 803
Quote:
Who's willing to part with their DP-1? (Course-you'd be making a big mistake).

The R2R honeymoon is already over? 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #559 of 803
Pretty much before it started, although I gave the M7 a few hundred hours of burn in and a fair shake. Basically the Eximus doesn't fall behind the Master 7 in any technical areas, and bests it in a couple. Bottom line though the DP-1 sets itself apart from the pack with it's 'live performance' sound that I doubt many dacs can touch-of course most aren't striving for that. To say nothing of the transparency, holographic ss, PRaT, and effortlessness (pure flowing music, albeit with punch when called for). And to think I've never heard it balanced yet!

-Daniel

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #560 of 803
Indeed, it's entirely doable to find a clearer/more resolving DAC but IMHO a lot of its sonic color has to do with that "live stage" feeling that I have never heard in other DAC's(even battery powered and/or discrete/using AD797 opamps, etc). I guess the DP1 is so pricey and yet seems to sell so well because they managed to nail the market needs really well and basically once you've heard it you're hooked 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #562 of 803
Quote:
Indeed, it's entirely doable to find a clearer/more resolving DAC but IMHO a lot of its sonic color has to do with that "live stage" feeling that I have never heard in other DAC's(even battery powered and/or discrete/using AD797 opamps, etc). I guess the DP1 is so pricey and yet seems to sell so well because they managed to nail the market needs really well and basically once you've heard it you're hooked 
evil_smiley.gif

The DP-1 is more transparent the the M7 ime...the M7 was dead nuts neutral, sure, but lacked the PRaT and 'soul' of the Eximus...I could go on...

-Daniel

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #563 of 803
And how about the soundstage and imaging/separation between those two?

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #564 of 803
Hard to say because most of my impressions are using it with the ZDSE, which has a nearly unbeatable soundstage. OTOH, I used the M7 and M8 together (balanced) and didn't get nearly that wow factor. Different presentations overall though. I've never felt the holographic imaging on the latter the way I have on the former, that's for sure. The AGD combo puts you in the audience looking at a nice detailed wide soundstage from a small distance, whereas the DP-1 puts the musicians in the room with you, giving you the 'they are here' vs 'you are there' vibe I keep quoting from the 6Moons writeup. Honestly that review really knocked it out of the park imo, I agree with everything said there (in spite of the author lol).

-Daniel

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #565 of 803
Personally, it's this 6moons review that really explains clearly what the DP1 does to me: 
Quote:
I had a feeling as though the performers were just behind the glass window of the studio room.

HD video was meant to provide the feeling of looking through a window and that's also what the DP1 does to my brain, like I'm sitting in the studio control room and I'm watching my favorite artists performing live through the studio room glass window...it works everytime, hah!

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #567 of 803
Quote:
... the DP-1 puts the musicians in the room with you, giving you the 'they are here' vs 'you are there' vibe ....

That is certainly the strongest impression I had after my short experience with DP-1. This type of presentation in conjunction with very life like reproduction of Avantgardes DUO Omega was purely magical. Now I only need to get those tubes... ^^

Thanks for insight.

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #568 of 803
I guess this would also depend on the kind of music you listen to.....if I listen to the godfather of soul and/or some high-end condenser microphone(such as the Neumann U87 with its very specific grain) then I instantly get the window feeling all the way....OTOH, with unmastered sessions tapes from the Beatles or Erik Satie solo piano recordings, then yeah I'm definitely standing in the middle of the live room 
happy_face1.gif

Also, with dynamically compressed and strongly processed electronic music, it gives some sort of 3D sound that's highly enjoyable! That would almost make me wanna compose all over again when I think of the possibilities the DP1 would unleash for music production
popcorn.gif

But movies on the DP1 always feel like the action is surrounding you, too good.

May 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #570 of 803
Was anybody playing with buffer settings in windows in eximus driver settings? Do they influence overall SQ or maybe US settings for jplay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back