April Music Eximus DP-1
Feb 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #166 of 803
Koss is "fully warrantied" - I returned my E-90 amp after dis-assembly - you have to bend up/peel off the Al front panel to get at the screws to fully open the case

no questions, no comments, full repair by return mail - That's a "full warranty"

but no one's concerned that the Eximus' "discrete component headphone amp" claim is either a outright lie or a "misunderstanding" by a copy writer?

the true cynics would wonder if they could have gotten the praise for the headphone out if they had properly described it as a $5 DSL driver current feedback op amp chip rebranded as a headphone amp chip

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #167 of 803
Page 4 of the DP-1 manual says:

There goes for the most curious amongst us 
redface.gif

The headamp doesn't sound like a STX if that's what you're getting at.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #168 of 803

Quote:

but no one's concerned that the Eximus' "discrete component headphone amp" claim is either a outright lie or a "misunderstanding" by a copy writer?

the true cynics would wonder if they could have gotten the praise for the headphone out if they had properly described it as a $5 DSL driver current feedback op amp chip rebranded as a headphone amp chip

Echoes of the '6 Moons and Burson have been naughty' async saga? 
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #170 of 803
Just sold both the DAC and Crack, that means im getting a DP-1 in aprox 3 weeks. Cant wait till all tiems arrive safely.  LCD-2/Lyr/DP-1 thats on hell of a combo. Has anyone compared the amp section to a Lyr?

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #171 of 803

Quote:
 Has anyone compared the amp section to a Lyr?

You should ask Appleheadmay for his opinion of the amp section.  He recently bought a DP1 and has experience of a lot of headamps, although the Lyr doesn't appear one of them.

C'mon guys, let's have a few more thoughts 
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #172 of 803
New DP1 review from The Absolute Sound posted on April Music's site - http://www.aprilmusic.com/eng/bbs/index.php?code=bbs_industry

Where do you live jcx?  You could check mine out if you're near Seattle.

Quote:
Koss is "fully warrantied" - I returned my E-90 amp after dis-assembly - you have to bend up/peel off the Al front panel to get at the screws to fully open the case

no questions, no comments, full repair by return mail - That's a "full warranty"

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #173 of 803
right coast - not that I really care beyond the potential amusement value of watching the kerfuffle resulting from people positive about the "discrete is superior" meme explaining their glowing reviews after learning the headphone out is really an op amp chip

I think the TPA6120 op amp chip is perfectly fine, has superior specs - is used in my own design avatar photo headphone amp
while circuit implementation details can vary I found that with advanced multiloop topology the op amps' contributions to measured distortion can be much smaller than even "good" passive components

the Eximus reviews' PCB photos do show enough pwr xfmr leads for 2x dual supplies so it could be powered from +/-12 to 15 V separate supply
the TPA can swing to within ~1 V of its supply rails - but the datasheet circuit does have a recommended 10 Ohm series R in the output lead - see the blown up review photo - can't tell for sure at this res but looks like a series R

Lee Perry did jump on the subtext - is the Eximus headphone out really better than a Xonar STX soundcard in a fanless "Silent PC" with linear supply at ~ 1/3 the cost? - they apparently both use the TPA6120 for headphone out

quite possibly - but not because of Eximus' "discrete component headphone amp" - given the review photos I don't see how this is anything but a lie

fat diagonal traces from 1/4" TRS right to the chip amp is clearly visible - those big film caps may be "audiophile" grade though

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #174 of 803
It would be nice to get a photo of the shipping PCB/internals.

From Simon Lee of April Music:
"The output stage is of course fully discrete fully balanced class A and unlike our earlier HP100 the headphone path runs its own dedicated OP-amp current buffer for exceptional drive with its 0.1Ω output impedance on the 6.3mm front port."

From the English Manual:
"The DP1 uses a dedicated high-quality headphone amplifier module for excellent dynamics and very wide imaging. This headphone amplifier circuit is completely isolated from the DAC and preamplifier sections. For best impedance and gain matching we have developed a proprietary interface circuit that far exceeds most of the conventional headphone amplifiers with simple op-amp output stages. The DP1 supports headphones from 8ohms to 600ohms."

Lee Perry did jump on the subtext - is the Eximus headphone out really better than a Xonar STX soundcard in a fanless "Silent PC" with linear supply at ~ 1/3 the cost? - they apparently both use the TPA6120 for headphone out

You shouldn't compare these costs - its apples to oranges.  DAC, outputs, inputs, switching, usability, form factor, the list goes on.  And I'm not sure why you mention a linear power supply - they exist in all modern computers, do they not?

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #175 of 803
Feb 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #176 of 803
Actually it's quite possible that the headphone amp section was not completed at the time of the photo. It looks like all internal photos we have seen were provided by April music and not the reviewers.

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #177 of 803

Quote:
Actually it's quite possible that the headphone amp section was not completed at the time of the photo. It looks like all internal photos we have seen were provided by April music and not the reviewers.

Yeah possible I suppose. But it would have been a careless move by April music to allow photos showing an early prototype with opamp to go out around the world.  Especially in light of the fact that you are not allowed to open the case to prove otherwise!

April should really clear the matter up..

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #178 of 803
well, if someone is shelling out close to 3k for an amp you better look else where.  This I believe is more of a dac with a bonus amp and pre.  Im replacing my sold EE Minimax dac for this one.  I may try the amp a bit but will mostly use the Lyr.  Maybe later when the funds are there maybe a nice tube amp like a Cavalli or Eddie Current.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #179 of 803
The Eximus beats the Lyr in the headphone amp on LCD2's, you will find that out when you get yours. I have tried them both.

One quick update on the gel pads if anyone is curious. I sent a set to a friend of mine and he brought out the moongel drum damper pads to compare. He hears that the moongels are slightly  better. Good news, you can buy these on Ebay for $6.99 shipped for a set of four. Those will work under the Eximus DP1. If you are using headphones only, I am not sure if you need them, probably not.

I have now found a new killer amp for speakers for $500, it beats any tube amp under $3K. PM me if interested.

Quote:
well, if someone is shelling out close to 3k for an amp you better look else where.  This I believe is more of a dac with a bonus amp and pre.  Im replacing my sold EE Minimax dac for this one.  I may try the amp a bit but will mostly use the Lyr.  Maybe later when the funds are there maybe a nice tube amp like a Cavalli or Eddie Current.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #180 of 803

Quote:

Quote:
There goes for the most curious amongst us 
redface.gif

The headamp doesn't sound like a STX if that's what you're getting at.

Quote:
It would be nice to get a photo of the shipping PCB/internals.

From Simon Lee of April Music:
"The output stage is of course fully discrete fully balanced class A and unlike our earlier HP100 the headphone path runs its own dedicated OP-amp current buffer for exceptional drive with its 0.1Ω output impedance on the 6.3mm front port."

From the English Manual:
"....... This headphone amplifier circuit is completely isolated from the DAC and preamplifier sections. For best impedance and gain matching we have developed a proprietary interface circuit that far exceeds most of the conventional headphone amplifiers with simple op-amp output stages......"

I've dropped April music an email asking whether the shipping DP1's use a TPA 160 or similar op amp.  Waiting for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back