April Music Eximus DP-1
Jan 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #152 of 803
I'm having an issue with 88.2khz files via usb.  In both OSX (audirvana) and Windows 7 (foobar), the DP1's source light shows yellow (44.1/48khz).  TUSBAudio Spy Tool reports 88.2khz however.

The same song played over optical or coax makes the DP1's source light correctly light up as red....

Update: I turned the DP1 off, unplugged the AC cable, disconnected the USB cable, then reconnected power, turned the DP1 on and then connected the USB cable, and now 88.2khz files make the source light show red.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #153 of 803
Any more impressions about the sound quality of this-especially compared to other popular high-end dacs here? And the amp portion as well? The only thing I've learned here is the supposed merits of gel pads.
confused.gif

popcorn.gif

-Daniel

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #154 of 803
Feb 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #156 of 803
What other comparisons do you guys need? There is nothing under $3K that will beat it, the only one that came fairly close was the $7757 Weiss Dac 202. But my buddie sold the weiss and replaced it with the Eximus. The $4400 Antelope Gold/Voltikus did not compare, nor did the $3500 Lampizator.

I just mentioned the gel pads because it did improve the sound even more, more tightness and detail.
Quote:
Any more impressions about the sound quality of this-especially compared to other popular high-end dacs here? And the amp portion as well? The only thing I've learned here is the supposed merits of gel pads.
confused.gif

popcorn.gif

-Daniel

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #157 of 803
Um, any? More comparisons always help and never hurt-especially when everything we've heard is from just a few members, without very many details honestly. Especially for a 3 grand+ DAC. A comparison to the Anedio, Ref 7.1, Minimax, W4S too name a few since those are some of the more prominent and highly praised dacs around here. Or maybe just another discourse on the merits of gel feet-whatever.

-Daniel

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #158 of 803
Well, for instance, the Antelope Zodiac Gold easily beats the W4S as one company at RMAF told me, and the Eximus beats the Zodiac Gold.

I believe it might be the new XMOS technology that might be making the difference. I know Ayre has a new one based off of this circuit, and I hear others are working on it. And you can look at it this way. You are getting a $2K Dac with a $1K headphone amp that beats a Woo Audio tube amp all in one box. The pre-amp section is awesome too. I cranked my integrated amp wide open and then used the Eximus as a pre-amp. I was floored at the improvement that made, much wider soundstage and more detail. So you can figure you are getting a $1K preamp also. And did I talk about looks? Stunningly made, nothing beats it in the Dac department!

Quote:
Um, any? More comparisons always help and never hurt-especially when everything we've heard is from just a few members, without very many details honestly. Especially for a 3 grand+ DAC. A comparison to the Anedio, Ref 7.1, Minimax, W4S too name a few since those are some of the more prominent and highly praised dacs around here. Or maybe just another discourse on the merits of gel feet-whatever.

-Daniel

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #159 of 803
Feb 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #160 of 803
Awesome guys, I'll check out those links for sure when I have time. No offense, I just guess I'm looking for a little more in depth impressions/comparisons than 'this dac beats that dac', you know. I agree that it looks stunning for sure. How is the amp section for, say, a T1?

-Daniel

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #161 of 803
When I say it beats those other Dacs, the Eximus has the most detail and soundstage while keeping the magic. I guess the new term today is organic, I am from the old school.

Since the headphone amp is so powerful and organic, it should work perfectly with the T1.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #162 of 803
The headphone amp is seriously powerful for being built in.  Half volume is usually plenty for me with LCD-2 Rev 2.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #164 of 803
rec'd on another thread - but I don't see any hard spec on the headphone output despite the rave reviews - nobody's questioned the manufacturer or owns a 'scope, or even a voltmeter?

Quote:
Before you buy consider the April Music Eximus DP1. Whats scary is some say the amp part is better than a Woo WA5. Thats pretty impressive coming from a solid state.

Quote:

are actual headphone amp specs posted anywhere? - I can't find anything except subjective comments on it

http://www.soundstage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=346:eximus-dp1-digital-to-analog-converterpreamplifierheadphone-amplifier&catid=55:full-length-reviews&Itemid=4

internal pic shows a SOIC-20 DW with half its pins to the gnd plane - almost certainly a TPA6120 - any clue what Vsupply? - and how does it get called a discrete component headphone amp?

the pcb differs from the 6Moons review - but I think the TPA can still be seen peeking out from the edge of the "module" cover in the 6 Moons pic

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/aprilmusic8/3.html

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #165 of 803

When I say it beats those other Dacs, the Eximus has the most detail and soundstage while keeping the magic. I guess the new term today is organic, I am from the old school.

Since the headphone amp is so powerful and organic, it should work perfectly with the T1.

Yep, it does have a "sweet" sound as all the reviews echoed...if it will make good recordings shine and poor ones still enjoyable. This is not a studio mastering grade DAC IMHO, as in a pin-point chirurgical/sterile sounding DAC. The sound is colored(and 6moons repeated it in every page of its review), but in a good way...everything sounds as if it were happening in a big room and you would be standing right in the center of it, that's the DP-1 "live" sound everyone raves about. This is a fairly high-end HIFI grade DAC/preamp/headamp combo for sheer end-user home enjoyment...it clearly isn't for the hardcore mastering engineers to have all the tiniest defects literally exploding to their ears.

I read today that at the CES show,Weiss has updated their 202 Dac to use the XMOS drivers reunning their USB port. That looks like the future in Dac technology.

Well, they have solid drivers and a bulletproof OEM solution(that anyone can buy for $150 off digikey)...and it sounds great too.

I don't see any hard spec on the headphone output despite the rave reviews - nobody's questioned the manufacturer or owns a 'scope, or even a voltmeter?

You'll have to find someone adventurous enough to crack open his fully warrantied for 2 years $3K toy and take measurements for you, I honestly don't see it happening.

The headphone amp is seriously powerful for being built in.  Half volume is usually plenty for me with LCD-2 Rev 2.

Yep, the headamp gain is very high...I don't see how you could possibly run out of juice 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back