Apple to discontinue iPod Classic & iPod Shuffle??
Sep 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #31 of 144
I will be very bummed if this is true.  I have two 160GB's -- one plugged into my car system, the other mated to the Fostex HP P-1 for mobile use -- plus a 120GB docked to the Onkyo ND S-1/DAC/amp as a bedside system. All are completely full.  This is essential gear for anyone with a decent size, lossless music library.  I was actually hoping for a new model with at least 200GB capacity.  The entire world just keeps getting more "dumbed-down".

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #32 of 144

Quote:
I will be very bummed if this is true.  I have two 160GB's -- one plugged into my car system, the other mated to the Fostex HP P-1 for mobile use -- plus a 120GB docked to the Onkyo ND S-1/DAC/amp as a bedside system. All are completely full.  This is essential gear for anyone with a decent size, lossless music library.  I was actually hoping for a new model with at least 200GB capacity.  The entire world just keeps getting more "dumbed-down".

Not good news at all.  My 5.5Gs are getting full and this was my next purchase.

Mostro, how's the gapless playback with the Classic?

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #33 of 144
The world hasn't been dumbed down when there are multitudes of competitors to Apple. How is it dumbing down when consumers have chosen what they wanted (and moreover what they didn't want)?

I won't lose sleep over Apple discontinuing stuff. Never liked the ipod and the software you needed to make it play nice with your computer. I'll just empty and refill my little 4gb player as needed. I don't need my entire harddrive of music with me 24/7.

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #34 of 144

Quote:

Seamless -- no artifacts, no delays.  SQ on the latest iteration is quite good, although all of my set-ups are now stripping out the raw 1's & 0's.  

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #35 of 144
I like the idea of having that much capacity, but hate the iTunes interface. That's what's kept me from buying a Classic, year after year.

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #36 of 144

Quote:
I like the idea of having that much capacity, but hate the iTunes interface. That's what's kept me from buying a Classic, year after year.

agreed, this is why I fill my devices, and hardly makes any chage after that. the clip+ is the one I keep changing music in. drag and drop, all players should support this.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #39 of 144
Is there any competitors with large hard drive based space?

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #40 of 144
Quote:

FYI, if your 5.5 is getting full, there's at least one guy on ebay selling refurbed with bigger drives. I have a 240GB 5.5 inbound.. :)

Edit: The name of the seller on ebay is "ipodzens". Not sure if I'm allowed to post link to their store.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #41 of 144

Quote:
Is there any competitors with large hard drive based space?

Quick search would suggest "no". 
frown.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=120gb+dap
http://www.head-fi.org/t/431217/120gb-nice-sq
http://www.head-fi.org/t/548442/no-120gb-mp3-players-compatible-with-mac-other-than-ipod

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #42 of 144
I looked for players with > 64GB some time back, and concluded that the best option was a Netbook. That isnt what most will want to hear, but my Asus put up with a hell of a lot over 2 years of abuse and only 'packed it in' when I gave up replacing power adapters.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #43 of 144

Quote:
I looked for players with > 64GB some time back, and concluded that the best option was a Netbook. That isnt what most will want to hear, but my Asus put up with a hell of a lot over 2 years of abuse and only 'packed it in' when I gave up replacing power adapters.

I gave my acer aspire one to my little brother. He gave me 2 ipod touches for it. That thing has lasted 2 years of constant torture. Acer is underrated.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #44 of 144

Quote:
Seamless -- no artifacts, no delays.  SQ on the latest iteration is quite good, although all of my set-ups are now stripping out the raw 1's & 0's.  

Thanks!...Sounds great...

Quote:
Quote:

FYI, if your 5.5 is getting full, there's at least one guy on ebay selling refurbed with bigger drives. I have a 240GB 5.5 inbound..
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: The name of the seller on ebay is "ipodzens". Not sure if I'm allowed to post link to their store.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks, will check it out as well.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #45 of 144
Whaaaat? You listen to music while expelling demons? 
basshead.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I too would hate to see it go. If it did, I would probably get another one or maybe two for backup.

Quote:
Funny thing is i use lossy mp3s on my 80gb but i still use all 80gb of space. I have plenty of music well over 150gb. If apple discontinues the ipod classic i will find a way to get a new one. Touchscreen is bad for portability or exorcising. Give me physical buttons and 160gb of storage space any day.

And if it means anything i read somewhere that steve jobs (I know he isn`t ceo anymore) Stated he has no plans to kill the ipod classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back