Apple to discontinue iPod Classic & iPod Shuffle??
Sep 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #16 of 144

Quote:
This is just the way portables are going. More people are simply using their smartphones for their music listening. Its much easier to just plug headphones into the iPhone or android or whatever that you already carry everywhere than to carry a cell phone and another seperate music player.
Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

What about people like me who don't have a music phone? I just use a phone for text and talk. Cellphones should be for no more.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #17 of 144
Hence why i said most people, not everybody....

Also, a lot of people just use Rhapsody, Mog, Spotify, or even just Pandora meaning they don't even need room to store music. I personally use Mog. I do have about a thousand 320kbps downloaded songs from Mog, but the rest i stream over WIFI or 3G. I still have 16gb of free space on my 32gb(28.8 really) iPhone. Most people would never fill a 120gb iPod classic. It is a shame if they stop makig them, but they are just going along with the current trends.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #18 of 144

HUH??? Don't understand this post.  what product from Apple has the huge music/photo/movie storage facility other than the Classic??  Seems to me to be a great time to go on Apple website, look at the "refurbished" section and buy another Classic before they're all gone.  then if the rumor is unfounded at least I have a Classic with larger capacity than my 80 gig classic I now own.

A few reasons.

First, I don't think there was sufficient demand for high capacity devices. Yes, hugely popular at Head-Fi, but not with 99.9% of the public. You'll notice that the Classic was downgraded from 160GB to 120GB. My gut says that people with large collections of music and photos use laptops and desktops to store them. Apple probably finds that 32GB-64GB is enough for the average buyer.

Second, Apple is trying to kill the hard drive. They're mechanical devices with a much higher failure rate than SSD. Beancounters keep a close eye on warranty claims (this was drilled into us when I got a degree in accounting) and they probably find that eliminating hard drives saves money. My guess is that hard drives will be drummed out of the MacBook and iMac lines within a few years.

Third, Apple is going to impose iOS over all portable devices. A clickwheel is a holdover. Everything is going to have to have a touchscreen so the software can be consolidated and things can start functioning together.

Which leads to my biggest Apple gripe: the devices aren't talking to each other yet. Or not very well. My iPhone, iPad and MacBook should be tightly networked together, sharing tasks and data. I think that's coming, but I'd like to have it now.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #19 of 144
I'm half tempted to go out and buy another classic just in case this news is true. Even if they replace it with a 160Gig touch can you imagine the cost of that thing compared to the relatively cheap Classic! I have had my classic now for just over a year and love it's storage capacity. I would find it hard to go out and not have so much music to hand to choose from.

Oh how the times have changed from my first Sony Walkman cassette player thirty years ago. Batteries would last a couple of hours and I would have to cart around a case of cassettes four times the size of my rig now just to have a selection of 10 albums. Add in the Wow and flutter (Kiddies, google it, for us old 'un's it was the bain of portable music!) and wearing out tapes prematurely just to be able to listen to the same track over and over again.

The classic was a revolution and now teamed up with my CLAS is one of the best sounding players out there portable or non portable!

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 144
This scares me, I've got two 160gb classics and can't image not having the space.
Flash is still too expensive for a high capacity touch but that would be great.
I was hoping a solution like the Seagate GoFlex wifi portable drive might be a potential fix but it's gotten poor reviews.
The classic interface is pretty dated, a refresh would be most welcome but may not materialize, the average Joe is happy with lossy mp3s...

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #21 of 144
Funny thing is i use lossy mp3s on my 80gb but i still use all 80gb of space. I have plenty of music well over 150gb. If apple discontinues the ipod classic i will find a way to get a new one. Touchscreen is bad for portability or exorcising. Give me physical buttons and 160gb of storage space any day.

And if it means anything i read somewhere that steve jobs (I know he isn`t ceo anymore) Stated he has no plans to kill the ipod classic.

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #22 of 144
I dont think they are stupid enough as to do that.
take zune as example, discontinued the 120gb and 80gb models because "touch screen is better" they say, I love zune but they had it comming for being so naives

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #23 of 144
Who cares. HDD consumes more power, runs slower, and have high failure rates.  Besides, iPods are overpriced compared to the other options out these days and generally average on sound quality.  I have 145 gb of music, only 20-30gb ends up on a PMP.  People can put movies on them, but the screen is so small it seems like more of a novelty idea.   

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #24 of 144
Man, I hate the new targets for this marketplace. Instead of moving to 400$ 500gb+ devices like we should have, we've moved to 400$ 64gb devices. Solid state storage, big woop, in a DAP I'll take a spinning drive with a higher capacity anyday.

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #25 of 144

Quote:
Man, I hate the new targets for this marketplace. Instead of moving to 400$ 500gb+ devices like we should have, we've moved to 400$ 64gb devices. Solid state storage, big woop, in a DAP I'll take a spinning drive with a higher capacity anyday.

Agreed.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #26 of 144

Quote:
I dont think they are stupid enough as to do that.

I look forward to quoting you on this - hell, I might even add it to my SIG ! 

Apple Corp is now run entirely by bean counters - little grey men who have one eye on the stock price and the other on their bonuses. I have met some of the (OS X) engineers from Cupertino, and even they shrug their shoulders when asked why Apple has abandoned 'technology X'. Fantastic, hard-working guys and girls, but they can only do what the suits tell them to do - that's life in a corporation. I dont think your average Apple shareholder could give a hoot whether they drop the Classic - they just want to see iPad sales projections. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #27 of 144
I look forward to quoting you on this - hell, I might even add it to my SIG ! 

Apple Corp is now run entirely by bean counters - little grey men who have one eye on the stock price and the other on their bonuses. I have met some of the (OS X) engineers from Cupertino, and even they shrug their shoulders when asked why Apple has abandoned 'technology X'. Fantastic, hard-working guys and girls, but they can only do what the suits tell them to do - that's life in a corporation. I dont think your average Apple shareholder could give a hoot whether they drop the Classic - they just want to see iPad sales projections. 

Amazon Kindle Fire might make those iPad sales projections interesting...

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #29 of 144
jasonb: I understand your comments but what do you if you want to go higher end with amps and cables and such??  I too use my iPhone when I want total portability but when home, I use either the Classic or my iMod plugged into a portable amp with higher-=end IEMs.  WOuld really hate to see the classic go away.  If that's the case I'lljust buy one and keep it until my current one dies.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #30 of 144

Quote:
jasonb: I understand your comments but what do you if you want to go higher end with amps and cables and such??  I too use my iPhone when I want total portability but when home, I use either the Classic or my iMod plugged into a portable amp with higher-=end IEMs.  WOuld really hate to see the classic go away.  If that's the case I'lljust buy one and keep it until my current one dies.

*2. The iPod Classic is very ubiquitous (Car stereos, speaker docks, portable headphone amps...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back