Apple ME186LL/A Dual Driver Improved Revision?
Apr 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #17 of 48
It measures identical to the old version. The difference will be the control portion which is what generatied the new PC. Apple would jump on the chance to call it improved. No reason to think that they are acoustially changed in any way.  http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Earphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=apple&document_srl=2130 I have never seen 2 devices measured with different kit more identical.

I also think them a VG value and have a pair but they are bit vague in the bass and lean in character. Nice viable product at the price but not really giant killers.

You could have tried just asking Apple before speculating..

"No changes have been made to the actual earphones."

I forgot. You don't believe anything manufacturers say.

Hmm first off that GE graph is different, perhaps you're right but I rather have concrete proof. Apple is known to make changes sonic changes to their earbuds so it may be the case here as well. Nothing drastic though perhaps.

Not going to kill the W4 any time soon, but extremely good value regardless. Adding the 30ohms is the game changer, making these much better

Unless an engineer of the product were to say that, it's not anything solid. Apple is a huge company and I wouldn't expect everyone who works in it to know everything about it.

I don't believe in everything a manufacturer does, but they can be right about many things.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #19 of 48
Well these are the same throughout, only tuning changes are made.

Yes perhaps less difference than GR10 and EQ7 but those share a common driver regardless, just implemented differently.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #20 of 48
LOL You're goofy. It's exactly the opposite of what you would sumize by your 535 posts about frequency extension. You conveniently pick and choose to incude or ignore to fit. I know the ADDIEM quite well, Xover change would show up in impedance/phase and the only filter besides the metal screen is a fine mesh at the base of the nozzle. You'll find it unchaged.
Carry on. Nice phone. I'm out.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #21 of 48
Many other factors that can change the tuning besides the crossover and damper. Actually the dampers inside before the metal mesh may have been changed in resistance. It's really no big deal if the old one is the same, it will actually be great to make that definitely, much cheaper and will bring these to more exposure. I don't think many have tried the 30ohm mod, that's the game changer here.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #22 of 48
Quote:
Many other factors that can change the tuning besides the crossover and damper. Actually the dampers inside before the metal mesh may have been changed in resistance. It's really no big deal if the old one is the same, it will actually be great to make that definitely, much cheaper and will bring these to more exposure. I don't think many have tried the 30ohm mod, that's the game changer here.

One more, There's no damper that you can't see and no room to introduce an additional one. The drivers are in a removable rubber jacket and share a common sound outlet. Different sized but coupled BAs like this but a round circuit board with more components.

Held in place by pressure on the rubber jacket when the cap is snapped on. You can actually see the BA opening through the very thin blsck cloth mesh filter (which is unchanged) if you unscrew the metal mesh cap and look down the bore. If you get a used pair to measure, make sure the metal screen is very clean. The block up easily. Their construction allows solvents to be used.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #23 of 48
Yup that's how it's designed, yup you're right about the nozzle had been a while wonder I've seen inside. Hmm I hope they are the same now so people could just focus on getting the 30ohm resistors. We'll see..

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #24 of 48
Yup that's how it's designed, yup you're right about the nozzle had been a while wonder I've seen inside. Hmm I hope they are the same now so people could just focus on getting the 30ohm resistors. We'll see..

I have a 100 ohm resistor at home and an old model pair but I'm not exactly jazzed to try it because, unless I'm reading the graph wrong, the bass quantity falls off. And me being a bass head, that's not a good thing. But I guess I could, you know, for science. :p

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #25 of 48
Nope, try getting a CI22955 from 2 different batches and you might be lucky enough to come across 2 entirely different Z curves, and guess what, they have the same fr graph! 
But hey, I'm mass producing thousands of units a day, they should all come from 1 batch right? True, but what about the tolerance rating of the components used in the XO? Juding from that photo up there I don't think they are using high spec stuff (Vishay/Dale, Pana, AVX etc.) to ensure 2 identical XO's will generate the same graph. And how about dampening 1 driver by only 1 ohm while we're at it, does it make that much difference in terms of graphing? Eh...
But I'm pretty sure the sonic change is audible in some cases, and by the way computer simulation is useless. 

I never rely only on Z graph to predict XO change. Not sure about other people though.
Quote:
LOL You're goofy. It's exactly the opposite of what you would sumize by your 535 posts about frequency extension. You conveniently pick and choose to incude or ignore to fit. I know the ADDIEM quite well, Xover change would show up in impedance/phase and the only filter besides the metal screen is a fine mesh at the base of the nozzle. You'll find it unchaged.
Carry on. Nice phone. I'm out.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #27 of 48
Well, as I said I would (for SCIENCE!), I slapped a pair of hybrids on my ADDIEM and listened to them. They sounded quite good. Maybe a bit better than I remembered. Then, I plugged in my 100 ohm resistor and listened to them again. As I suspected, the bass quantity fell off a tad but it tightened in the process and as far as I can tell, the clarity, detail retrieval and spaciousness improved. Now I could full well be the victim of autosuggestion but the resistor does indeed make them more linear to my ears, at the cost of some bass quantity and impact (which balanced armatures don't tend to be amazing at anyway so I don't mind).

Whether or not the internals of the new revision are unchanged versus the original design, the addition of a resistor is certainly a good idea in the old design and I'll be darned if they aren't a great sounding pair of earphones regardless.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #29 of 48
Quote:
Well, as I said I would (for SCIENCE!), I slapped a pair of hybrids on my ADDIEM and listened to them. The sounded quite good. Maybe a bit better than I remembered. Then, I plugged in my 100 ohm resistor and listened to them again. As I suspected, the bass quantity fell off a tad but it tightened in the process and as far as I can tell, the clarity, detail retrieval and spaciousness improved. Now I could full well be the victim of autosuggestion but the resistor does indeed make them more linear to my ears, at the cost of some bass quantity and impact (which balanced armatures don't tend to be amazing at anyway so I don't mind).

Whether or not the internals of the new revision are unchanged versus the original design, the addition of a resistor is certainly a good idea in the old design and I'll be darned if they aren't a great sounding pair of earphones regardless.

You need to try something like a Westone 3, UE TripleFi 10, Phonak PFE232, or Heir Audio 3.Ai :wink:

Quote:
Interesting- Thanks for the update.  Will Apple let you test these before buying at their stores?

I actually asked them this years back when I was purchasing my pair (which have been replaced since I wanted to replace a single eartip).  The answer was, you buy them, test them in store, return if you don't like them :p 

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

You need to try something like a Westone 3, UE TripleFi 10, or Heir Audio 3.Ai :wink:

I have a TF10. It's one of my favorite IEMs ever, actually.

But those IEMs seem to be the exception rather than the rule. As much as I love the TF10 and BA IEMs, I still love my dynamics for bass impact, texture, body and rumble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back